Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Beretta 92FS spring(s) replacement

Hi all, my 92fs is approaching 5000 rds fired. (the gun has been flawless, not any failure of any kind).
    I'm thinking it may now be a good idea to get all the springs replaced. Can anyone recommend a reliable shop or gunsmith that can take care of this locally.
    I'm in Bucks county. Thanks

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Beretta 92FS spring(s) replacement

Quote Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
    Hi all, my 92fs is approaching 5000 rds fired. (the gun has been flawless, not any failure of any kind).
    I'm thinking it may now be a good idea to get all the springs replaced. Can anyone recommend a reliable shop or gunsmith that can take care of this locally.
    I'm in Bucks county. Thanks
    Any chance you might consider tackling the job yourself? It really is not too bad to change out the recoil/main/slide release/trigger return and trigger bar springs at all. The slide is another story, a bit more challenging, and no need IMO and experience to change any internal slide springs with the stated round count.

Only exception would be to remove the extractor, and clean all the gunk in the firing pin channel. Some folks clean this area by thoroughly soaking in solvent w/o removal, but if the extractor is removed, replacement of the extractor spring would be a good idea.

This link:

http://beretta92fs.com/

is a great series of clear videos demonstrating complete 92FS frame disassembly, extractor removal, and a lot of other topics covered. Nothing like doing the work yourself, and knowing it was done right and for very little cost.

Good luck.

(Bucks County)

Ready Aim Fire in Bristol. Dave Olhasso smiths there. Google his website to learn more about him.

However it is very easy to do them all yourself.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Working on the 92FS/M9 isn't really all that hard and you just need a couple tools. Most any gunsmith should be able to tackle the job and do it well. I'd recommend doing it yourself though. Get the spring service pack from Gunsprings.com and follow the steps indicated in the link already posted above. Just make sure re-stake the extractor pin or it can walk out during firing.
    Also, make sure to check your locking block for any abnormal marks, cracks, wear, etc. 5K isn't all that much, but it never hurts to closely inspect the weapon while you're replacing the springs.

(York County)

How similiar would this same replacement be on the Taurus 92?

I have had one since '87 and have fired more rounds than I can fathom from this ol' reliable girl. She could use freshened up.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

(Allegheny County)

Similar enough. I detailed a Taurus 92 for a friend. It's easier to detail strip the slide on the Taurus since the safety is frame mounted, rather than slide mounted. The Taurus is based on a much older version of the Beretta 92. There used to be a couple good videos up online for the Taurus PT92, might still be on Youtube.

(York County)

Very good!

Thanks!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

(Monroe County)

I had a Wolf spring kit put in with a trigger job, if I was not already having that done I would of doe it myself. Even the main spring is easy to deal with. Only thing I would not recommend doing yourself is taking apart the slide.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns N'at View Post
    Any chance you might consider tackling the job yourself? It really is not too bad to change out the recoil/main/slide release/trigger return and trigger bar springs at all. The slide is another story, a bit more challenging, and no need IMO and experience to change any internal slide springs with the stated round count.

Only exception would be to remove the extractor, and clean all the gunk in the firing pin channel. Some folks clean this area by thoroughly soaking in solvent w/o removal, but if the extractor is removed, replacement of the extractor spring would be a good idea.

This link:

http://beretta92fs.com/

is a great series of clear videos demonstrating complete 92FS frame disassembly, extractor removal, and a lot of other topics covered. Nothing like doing the work yourself, and knowing it was done right and for very little cost.

Good luck.
    I'm with Guns n'at on this one.
    Above link is great source for how to with 92(other then the dude's funny accent), and I replaced most all my springs on my 1988 built 92F using it
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    I had a Wolf spring kit put in with a trigger job, if I was not already having that done I would of doe it myself. Even the main spring is easy to deal with. Only thing I would not recommend doing yourself is taking apart the slide.
    I did a complete action job to my M9, and also added a "D" main spring... Super smooth DA, and very nice SA now. In my experience, the stock trigger return spring is the weakest link in the chain, and was replaced with the Wolff OEM style.

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I'm with Guns n'at on this one.
    Above link is great source for how to with 92(other then the dude's funny accent), and I replaced most all my springs on my 1988 built 92F using it
    Borat sounds funny, and he really put a lot of quality work into those veedeeos .