Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sbs and sbr

Default sbs and sbr

i want to make my 870 into a sbs, my dealer emailed me a pdf file of the form 1 to fill out. my question is, do i have to engrave the gun to show that it has been reclassified as a nfa ? my tommygun had to be engraved, just wondering if the 870 has to be done also. and if it does can i put my name on it being im the one who is going to cut the barrel. also, all of the above but for a sbr.

(Washington County)

Default Re: sbs and sbr

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    i want to make my 870 into a sbs, my dealer emailed me a pdf file of the form 1 to fill out. my question is, do i have to engrave the gun to show that it has been reclassified as a nfa ? my tommygun had to be engraved, just wondering if the 870 has to be done also. and if it does can i put my name on it being im the one who is going to cut the barrel. also, all of the above but for a sbr.
    I believe you will have to mark the gun will the makers name and city/state. If you do it yourself, then it would be your name and your town, PA. I think ATF has some guidelines as to how big the markings have to be.

Remember, you can't cut them down until you get the approved form 1 back from ATF.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Montgomery County)

I believe the marking guidleines to be the following if i remember right, they made new rules in the last few years since MFGs and Importers were using lasers that were markin stuff too small, and easily worn off:

must be at least 3/32" high characters, in english, and arabic numerals

must be at least .003" deep

must be in plain view, not under pistolgrips, or barrel shrouds, etc.

abbreviations are ok.

serial # must be on the receiver, but the name/town can be on the barrel, use the factory serial number for ease of engraving, so ya dont have to do it again

example :

Bogey 1
    Anytown, PA

its easy, pretty much any trophy shop can do it well.
    As vince says, you have to wait until your form comes back to cut, but you can get the thing engraved while you're waiting
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

yes, thats what i thought. thanks.

(Lycoming County)

I had my SBR made by a smith in CO, he stamped my information on the barrel as the manufacturer seeing that the form 1 was in my name. Height of 1/16th in. and depth of .003 in.

I may be mistaken but if the smith placed his name as maker it
    "might" have required a transfer.

Do not do anything until you have the approved form and stamp in hand.

I made photo copies of the forms for carry, and keep the originals in the safe.
    With the Thompson some roll up the forms and keep them in the stock where the
    oil can goes.

Also any licensed smith can work on FA's without any sort of special licensing.
    Last edited by 1927A1; February 23rd, 2007 at 12:01 AM.
    Jack

(Montgomery County)

1927 A1: he did it correctly, you paid the tax and are listed as the maker, he just stamped it and did the chop.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Adams County)

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=80131

Here is a good write up and thread for what to do, how to do it, when to do what, and who to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=80131

Here is a good write up and thread for what to do, how to do it, when to do what, and who to talk to.
    i read the link. the guy states, get the barrel engraved not the reciever this way the gun isnt or doesnt lose value by boogering up the gun. but if you only get the barrel done that means the barrel is the nfa item correct? e.g. if you get the reciever done you can have a number of different size barreles to install (all under 18")

(Lycoming County)

I opted for the barrel, the gun can then be returned to its original configuration without any misleading engravings.
    The only other issue would be to notify the ATF in writing that it was returned to the longer bbl. Seeing that the serial number is the tracked number and registered as a SBR.
    When my form one was approved the examiner wrote the serial number of my Thompson across the actual stamp.
    Jack

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1927A1 View Post
    I opted for the barrel, the gun can then be returned to its original configuration without any misleading engravings.
    The only other issue would be to notify the ATF in writing that it was returned to the longer bbl. Seeing that the serial number is the tracked number and registered as a SBR.
    When my form one was approved the examiner wrote the serial number of my Thompson across the actual stamp.
    Actually the "Engraving Or Stamping" of the barrel is somewhat misleading in that this is meant for a Fixed Barrel. In the case of an 870 where the barrel is removable if one were to be questioned by LEO with a situation involving a longer barrel on the Registered Receiver NCIC Report would come back SBR. If the Registered Receiver were not engraved or stamped it could cost you money in court. Engraving or Stamping the Registered Receiver is always a Good Idea

John McCaw
    FFL/SOT2
    JCD Tactical LE Sales
    White Oak, PA 15131-2104
    412 980-1233

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast