Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Endorsements, Yea/Nay, or Grade?

Continued from...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...un-page-4.html

I'm in favor of a letter or percentile grade being given to politicians and prospective politicians (like the NRA gives) over just a Yea (like FOAC gives). I feel that this, coupled with say a link to the politicians answered questionnaire and/or detailed score card, would be the best way to educate the public on where a candidate stands on the issues we hold dear. This way, a PAC would provide concise information which a voter could carry into the poll to make a more informed decision, yet could provide more detail at their website if a voter would like to obtain more detail.

Just a "Yay" endorsement I feel does not really inform the voter about where a candidate stands. For example in the 2010 Republican primary, both Sam Rohrer & Tom Corbet received a Yay from some PACs, however to the informed voter, Rohrer was clearly better on 2nd Amendment and other constitutional issues (an A or A+) than Tom Corbet (maybe a B+ at best) who was ignorant about the Katrina government door-to-door gun confiscations as well as having the habit of calling inanimate firearms "illegal guns", which should raise the ire for everyone on this forum.

A grading system (like the NRA uses) coupled with a stronger questionnaire (like FOAC uses) with links on the PAC's website to the answered questionnaire or a detailed scorecard I think would be the best way to inform the voter. An example of a detailed scorecard record which a voter could refer to on a PAC's website is that posted by Kim Stolfer for Rep. Paul Kanjorski at the following forum page... http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...bs-page-2.html
    actually linked here... http://forum.pafoa.org/attachment.ph...3&d=1273583924
    This scorecard record, giving Kanjorski a 39.1% or an "F", reminds me of the informative TRIM Bulletins which the John Birch Society used to publish on politicians.

I'm not calling out any particular organization, as I feel this means of making endorsements can apply with groups affiliated with non-2nd Amendment issues as well. I would just appreciate other's opinions on what would be the best way to educate the voter on the candidates in a concise but informative manner.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Endorsements, Yea/Nay, or Grade?

This is not the forum for this question, take this over to the FOAC forum as it is a question for FOAC members.

www.foac-pac.org
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    This is not the forum for this question, take this over to the FOAC forum as it is a question for FOAC members.

www.foac-pac.org
    Yes it is.
    NRA life member/ILA/PVA/Whittington Center sponsor
    GOA member/Second Amendment Foundation member
    NAHC life member/KECA founding committee member

www.foac-pac.org
    I didn't realize/remember there was a forum over at the FOAC website. Huh. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for the pointer!

(Lehigh County)

www.foac-pac.org
    If we're discussing the concept as a whole, and avoid discussing solely why one particular organization does it one way or another, this is an appropriate place for it.

I made it incredibly clear in the brief discussion that took place in the other thread that I was offering my personal opinion, and not talking about FOAC's opinion or policies.

I fail to see why a discussion on general grading methods, not specific of the details of an organization, can't take place here. If the OP, however, wants to propose a method to FOAC to use then you would be correct that this wouldn't be the place to do it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    Yes it is.
    how so, this is a direct guestion to FOAC and if he's a member, post it to the membership of FOAC to decide on.

all the links posted name FOAC so therefore, please direct to FOAC in the proper forum.
    Last edited by renegadephoenix; January 18th, 2011 at 04:48 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lehigh County)

how so, this is a direct guestion to FOAC and if he's a member, post it to the membership of FOAC to decide on.
    The OP made it clear that that's not what this is.

Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    I'm not calling out any particular organization, as I feel this means of making endorsements can apply with groups affiliated with non-2nd Amendment issues as well. I would just appreciate other's opinions on what would be the best way to educate the voter on the candidates in a concise but informative manner.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    The OP made it clear that that's not what this is.
    see my edit above
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Indiana County)

all the links posted name FOAC so therefore, please direct to FOAC in the proper forum.
    I will try to remember that the next time a NRA topic comes up on this forum.
    NRA life member/ILA/PVA/Whittington Center sponsor
    GOA member/Second Amendment Foundation member
    NAHC life member/KECA founding committee member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    I will try to remember that the next time a NRA topic comes up on this forum.
    good one, this wasn't a pissing match, OP uses FOAC as spring board for this question and therefore should direct that question in the proper forum/meeting to the membership and not John Q Public as the membership is the ones who can make the change.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast