Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default S/W 686 replacement

I have a stainless smith wesson 686, (six shooter.) has a 6" full underlug barrel, adjustable front and rear sights. I took off the wood grips (still have them.) and replaced them with pachmayr. I originally bought this as a hunter, but not sure if it will ever make it afield. Was considering something more compact, the new Ruger polymer (LCR?) revolvers look interesting. Or even the GP or SP101. Was curious what others might consider replacing this with? Was thinking about maybe something with a 1-2" barrel. Maybe the older Bodyguard, Centennial, or Chiefs Special? But not sure if these only come chambered for the .38? Might decide to hang on to it, but may need something "smaller" the wife can shoot. Any ideas? Paid about $1 a caliber back in the '80s for the 686.

(York County)

Default Re: S/W 686 replacement

I wouldn't consider myself a revolver expert and I am sure Steve will be around shortly to give you much better advice, but if you are looking for a highly concealable revolver then I don't think the S&W Bodyguard is a bad option.

I have heard plenty of positive reviews of the firearm and it's size and reliability make it a fine CC piece.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Mercer County)

Here's my 3" "mini 686" (5 shot j frame .38 Special ) bought primarily for my wife to use and enjoy, that I will carry from time-to-time. Maybe this sort of thing is what you are looking for:

Purchased new in 1992, very accurate, +P rated, no lock, target hammer and trigger, adj sights, firing pin on the hammer, very comfortable to hold and shoot, and great trigger in SA and DA. Mainly shoot 700 fps 148 grain WC reloads, but carry either 125 grain XTP JHP's loaded to 965 fps, or 158 grain Speer LSWC's that chronograph @ 927 fps using Power Pistol, and are rated +P. Great gun, and I'm pretty sure S&W makes one about the same, but in .357 Mag.

Don't know how skilled your wife is as a pistol shot, but a slightly longer barrel over 2" may be a big help. Strictly from the aesthetic, but 3" j frame sized guns just "look right" to me, as do 5" N frames. Good luck with your search.
    Last edited by Guns N'at; March 11th, 2011 at 02:52 PM.

(Pike County)

[QUOTE=Guns N'at;1464839]Here's my 3" "mini 686" (5 shot j frame .38 Special ) bought primarily for my wife to use and enjoy, that I will carry from time-to-time. Maybe this sort of thing is what you are looking for:

Just curious , that is a Mod. 60 correct? I looked at one recently with the 3inch barrel in .38spl. . S&W does make them in .357 as well , but have not found one in 3in. barrel version.

Snert..

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve from Philly View Post
    I have a stainless smith wesson 686, (six shooter.) has a 6" full underlug barrel, adjustable front and rear sights. I took off the wood grips (still have them.) and replaced them with pachmayr. I originally bought this as a hunter, but not sure if it will ever make it afield. Was considering something more compact, the new Ruger polymer (LCR?) revolvers look interesting. Or even the GP or SP101. Was curious what others might consider replacing this with? Was thinking about maybe something with a 1-2" barrel. Maybe the older Bodyguard, Centennial, or Chiefs Special? But not sure if these only come chambered for the .38? Might decide to hang on to it, but may need something "smaller" the wife can shoot. Any ideas? Paid about $1 a caliber back in the '80s for the 686.
    The 686 is built on the Smith and Wesson "L" frame, which is considered medium in size. The "L" frame was purpose built to handle the .357 magnum on a regular basis (sort of replacing the "K" frame which had problems with cracked forcing cones on steady diets of magnum loads). If you like revolvers like I do and want to stay with the same platform, yet want something a bit more concealable yet very similar check out the Smith and Wesson 386 Nightguard:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

The grips are terrible, yet the revolver comes with a 2.5 inch barrel, has a seven shot cylinder, has a front tritium sight and is one great revolver. The frame it is built on is the same as the frame of your 686, with a shorter barrel and much lighter. The 386 will handle magnum loads much longer than your hand will.

I would stay away from the shorter 2 inch barrels in smaller framed revolvers. The very short barrels are difficult to shoot well and unless one is willing to dedicate many hours and thousands of rounds annually. This especially goes for women shooters, who do not wish to practice often as their performance will be terrible with the snubnose compact revolvers due to both low hand strength (they have stiff trigger pulls), poor sights and the need to practice extensively.

If the nightguard is not for you trade for a 4 inch barrel 686. There are plenty of guys that would love to trade for a pre-lock 686 and you could score and find a seven shooter to trade to get an extra shot. Disclaimer, I am a biased Smith and Wesson revolver fan and advise you to stick with the Smith and Wesson line. I find the Smith revolvers to be more refined, to have superior feel and the actions are smoother on average. Your mileage may vary.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Perry County)

It sounds like youn eed to define what you want the revolver to do before you decide what gun will do it. If you want a concele carry gun a J frame is hard to beat. I have a 638 tht I pocket carry and a 3" 60 that I carry ITB, the 60 is .357 and is reasonably accurate.

If you want a house or car gun then a police trade in K frame is hard to beat. Your wife can learn to shoot this using .38 light loads and not even consider the recoil. However loaded with +P .38s or .357s it is a real man stopper. I find my 4" K frames a problem to conceal, but with a better holster they might be OK.

A 6" pistol is fine for hunting but I would prefer a 4" for social purposes, not requiring concealment. As mentioned above a J frame is much easier to conceal, but also harder to shoot well. However, at the time you need a gun most it may be the one you could most easily have with you.

(Mercer County)

[QUOTE=Snert;1465121]
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns N'at View Post
    Here's my 3" "mini 686" (5 shot j frame .38 Special ) bought primarily for my wife to use and enjoy, that I will carry from time-to-time. Maybe this sort of thing is what you are looking for:

Just curious , that is a Mod. 60 correct? I looked at one recently with the 3inch barrel in .38spl. . S&W does make them in .357 as well , but have not found one in 3in. barrel version.

Snert..
    Yes, it is a model 60, 60-4 for this particular revolver.

(Delaware County)

If your wife doesn't like to shoot the 686, she's going to HATE an LCR, J frame or SP101. Smaller and lighter is not the way to go for someone that already doesn't like recoil and blast.