Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: PA Constable Arrested by NYPD for Concealed Carry???

my 2 cents.....

There's 3 constables i've seen/talked to around here.

1 is pretty grumpy.

1 is quite tacti-cool. Drives a bright yellow ranger with yellow lights on top. Has an Uncle Mikes universal holster with thumb break on it. Don't know anything about him, just gives me a good laugh when I see him.

1 is fairly nice, works out at the same place i do. I talk to him fairly often. He talks about how non eventful his job is. He also talked about how grumpy barely was able to qualify shooting their last time. He talked about their qualifications and that they were pretty pathetic.

Overall, the constables around here are just, strange.

Okay, i'm new to PA from NYC, so I guess i'll ask this question here, since both were mentioned in the op.

What exactly is a constable?
    What is his job function?
    What is the difference between LEO and constable?
    How many different law enforcement types are in PA? (LEO/Cop? PSP?)

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    my 2 cents.....
    Has an Uncle Mikes universal holster with thumb break on it.
    Oh hey, so do I. What of it?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by nlcrsn View Post
    1.You know exactly how many constables? In what jurisdiction? Heck give me a few names!
    2. You obviously do not know me.
    3.As I have stated, several LEO's have stated that Constables' firearms training is more in depth & demanding than training they received in firearms!
    4. If you have a problem with the election system, do something, do not complain unrecognizably on the internet. I went out did what was required, I do an outstanding, professional job everyday. I've earned the respect I have, and will continue to do so!
    5. I also take training above and beyond what is required, I seek to pass that training and professionalism onto the others I work with and around.
    Your answers:

1. No I don't know how many, I simply was responding with regard to the several I do know and I can admit I have respect for only 1 and the rest make the bunch look silly. To be quite frank the jurisdiction is really not something for the internet but I will say I do very close to Pittston, PA and no I wish not to splatter someone else names on the internet, especially in a negative way.

2: No, I don't know you and quite possibly you you may do quite a good job but once again it's too bat the title of "Constable" has been made something to snicker simply by the behavior of many PA State Constables. (Who by the way are not employees of the state and get no state benefits and are are paid on a sub contractor basis)

3. As have been stated to me by many real LOE's there in not a whole lot of respect for constables among real LEO's and the "extensive firearms training" bottom line is in PA every LEO agency qualifies using the MEPOTC POST COF. Yes, I have shot this COF and others successfully and it really is not difficult. The very first time I ever did it I got a 28 in phase1 and a 30 in pahse2 and I am civilian so I find nothing very special about that qualification.

4. My problem is not with the election system but the laws that allow someone to carry in all 50 with 12 signatures, 51% vote and little training. Can I do this very same thing? Yes and so can others. Once again this is nothing I find to be difficult but further shows the position of Constable is a rather easy and minimal position to get. Because of this ease is why I suspect I see the type people I do as constables.

5. Once again, I don't know you so I commend you if you indeed do take training above and beyond what is required of you. I also commend you for passing on professionalism to the others. Keep up the good work and maybe some day the many won't snicker when hearing the word Constable.

Now, my question for you! Yes I would like to hear about this extensive firearms training that is more stringent than other LEO's.
    Last edited by CCinPA; December 2nd, 2007 at 09:34 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

I never said it was glorious, it is what it is A job.
    The training consists of 40 hrs, 500 rnds training and 60 to qualify, broken from 40 hrs into instructional blocks.
    Yes there are constables that find it hard to qualify, I know of constables that can not qualify. And those that dont retry another class, or do not carry. except cc as a civilian.
    I do not believe we are perfect, far from it, I am the type that is pushing for more training in all aspects, well except for civil law that's boring. My point that started this post arguement is the way it was started (Constables') plural, Yes there are some idiots in the ranks, but every job, every agency has a few. To sit and blast the job, office or title is wrong!
    Carry in 50 states is great, something I am glad I can do. I also wish that every American had the same right, I dont agree that they should limit Americans in this right.
    Again there are several Police, Sheriffs', Correctional Officers among the Constables ranks, the ones I know enjoy what we do and are respectable. Yes there was alot of wrong doing in the constables ranks for along time, that is slowly changing, with training, and requirements that make the undriven not wish to put up with the hassle as they refer to training. As we improve and require further training it will improve our role, along with our duties probably.
    Police in the 70's just got a job , then the training classes started with less than 120 hrs now theyre up 1'000 +. As I stated call your president judges, they have the final say on the constable in your county! Pass on complaints, ask that Constables aree required to receive more training, call PCCD, our training agency.
    AND REMEMBER WE ARE ELECTED, SO VOTE, RUN FOR OFFICE, CHANGE WHAT YOU DONT LIKE.
    I just ask for the same respect that you would like given to you for doing the job you do, we all have those, in our respected careers, we are not proud of, it takes time but they usually weed themselves out.
    God Bless,
    Remember our fallen & still fighting!
    -Remember the Constitution-

(York County)

Sounds like the NYPD LEO's had it all wrong. Goes to show you that cops ar etyhe super computers of law knowledge, that most citizens seem to think they are. Anybody can make a mistake any day of the week. Its just a shame though when it effects a man on such a personal level.

(Lackawanna County)

well since cz decided to be our authority,
    I'll ask who should foot the bill for serving the warrants,
    his "real" LEO's and thus, you , us, taxpayers?
    Or the constables serves the warrants and the (defendant) that didnt show, pays.

Then all expenses for equipment, uniforms, weapons ammo... would you taxpayers like to keep footing the bill, because I will take any donations, that I presently buy for myself!

cop wanna be's / Isnt that what a LEO is? What of the many police, sheriffs, Detention Officers that are also constables, are they wanna be's??

Would you rather we had no uniform, wear blue jeans and t-shirts to kick in your door and then when you defend yourself you also get arrested or killed for trying to murder a LEO. Those trying to use a professional Uniform should be applauded for trying to be Professional, Respectable looking and disciplined!

Yea I did it to feel special, my mommy didnt love me waaaaaaaaaahhhh
    And you are damn right, If you think I dont enjoy the right to carry in all 50 states!!!!
    Well, where do I start.
    There are approximately 3000 constable positions in Pennsylvania. I have no idea how many of those positions are filled by active accredited constables.
    I would guess less than a quarter.

To nlcrsn, I do not claim to be the authority on constables, just passing along info gleaned from the internet spiced with my opinion. Which by george I am entitled to have.
    If you are in fact a constable, you already know the present system is broken. Pennsylvania does not need 3000 constables.
    A system of poll watchers, coupled with a smaller effectively trained and disbursed constable force would be a good start.

The present system allows a District Justice to assign cases and warrants to ANY constable he chooses.This has led to many constables getting no work, while a few make a very good living. It also allows constables to cherry pick the most profitable cases and warrants. In some metro areas there are Constable Departments. Which are really just a bunch of constables banding together to corner the market in the service of legal process, and less of an actual Dept. In other areas of the state there are NO constables available to serve because the constable just ran to get the BADGE. He is not required by law to take the training or work for any District Justice. He is the Constable of his ward, and that is all he wants.

The present system allows the Constable to define what the job is, and " if " he even performs the job. I am not debating that there are good constables out there who do an outstanding job. It sounds like you take pride in what you do. However even you will have to admit that the system is flawed. If 75 per cent of Constables are not doing THE job something is wrong. If some Constables are making $250,000 a year something is wrong. If Constables walk around with a gun and a badge, and no real concept of the powers and limitations of the office, something is wrong. If 75 percent do nothing, and make the 25 percent look bad, something is wrong.

IN MY OPINION ,Every District Justice should have a Constable and Deputy assigned to his court. The constables should be PAID by the state and under the DIRECT supervision of the District Justice. Constables should be required to pass a physical and take Act 120 training and be sworn. Then Constables could have a state supplied vehicle with lights and sirens and coordinate with local police on a more professional level

Come to think about it it may be easier to just abolish the office of State Constable , and assign a Sheriff's Deputy to each District Court

I am not, nor have I ever been in law enforcement. I have never met or had reason to use the services of a constable. I have no axe to grind.
    Last edited by CZ40P; December 2nd, 2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Okay, i'm new to PA from NYC, so I guess i'll ask this question here, since both were mentioned in the op.

What exactly is a constable?
    What is his job function?
    What is the difference between LEO and constable?
    How many different law enforcement types are in PA? (LEO/Cop? PSP?)

A constable works for the District Justices (aka District Magistrates). They serve warrants for those who fail to appear for traffic offenses and summary offenses. I don't think they go after any "higher" offenses, since they work alone.

Apparantly they also work the polls, after seeing the gnbrotz story. I didn't know that.

If they have a warrant, then of course they can arrest that person, but other than that they have the same arrest powers as any citizen.

LEO-Sheriff-Constable I think thats it? PSP are LEOs

From what I understand, their basically bounty hunters for minor offenses. Basically track you down when you refuse to pay your extortion (traffic) tickets.

Thanks Delta

I suppose I shouldn't bring my little friend with me tomorrow to Meadville, Crawford County traffic court. I'd probably be safer leaving it home or in my car. I not comfortable with the fact that others might have access to my weapon. (lockbox)

(Philadelphia County)

Yes there are constables that find it hard to qualify, I know of constables that can not qualify.
    I know some that can't qualify either...which is pretty pitiful given what the qualification course looks like.

Qualification 2006
    60 total rounds -- B-27 target
    Stage Distance # Of Rounds Time Technique

1 3 yards 12 total
    6-strong hand

6-support hand
    20P/25R sec. One-handed
    Standing - with reload

Stages 2 through 6 will be two-handed/strong hand shooting

2 7 yards 6 rounds 10 sec. Standing from low ready

3 7 yards 12 rounds 20P/25R sec. Standing - with reload
    30 rounds have been fired – score and change targets