Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: PA Constable Arrested by NYPD for Concealed Carry???

I have heard of even off duty police officers in other areas getting arrested for carrying a concealed firearm. Thankfully, the officers were cleared once they got into court, but they still went through the grief of going to court, sitting in jail, etc. That is why I avoid NY whenever possible. It is unfortunate that PA boarders some of the most anti-gun states, like NY, MD, NJ. I was even at Gander Mountain the other day and talking to an off duty police Sargent, and asked him what he thought of NYC gun laws. His response, "that's just sad".

I really thought this site would bring more intelligent conversation.
    1. Any time the news sensationalizes an incident w/ a firearm pro 2A Americans get upset about it.
    2. Usually when some1 on this site hears a rumor they research (COMPLETELY) b4 judging.
    3. Constables are LEO's! @ present they do not have training in traffic/ pursuits/ pursuit driving or emergency vehicle operations. So no we are not permitted to run lights *( as Constables) see # 4
    4. There are many Police Officers/ Sheriffs / aka LEO, that are Constables.
    5. One bad apple does not make the whole tree rotten.
    6. YES, I am a Pa. State Constable!
    7. No, I personally don't want lights, traffic duties. But lights would be useful in many situations! IE.. I, (as do most constables) have stopped to offer assistance to other LEO's in many situations.
    8. There are reasons and times for us to be out of state, with proper paper work. which he most likely had because he wasn't charged with the many available charges that could run with not following procedure.
    9.I cannot speak as to why he did not notify local authorities
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Luzerne County)

I usually keep out of these types of discussions.... But I see this one going on and on and on...

- Big D
    I am looking for SIG ST Series pistols. Please PM me if you have one you would like to sell.

(Philadelphia County)

Don't they make something like $35 for serving a warrant? Isn't running to new york city to serve one a loosing proposition?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I usually keep out of these types of discussions.... But I see this one going on and on and on...

I agree and since I agree a I'll add my 2 cents.
    I know several Constables and if the several I know I have to admit I have respect of one of them. It is in my experience that the majority are simply that want to be LEO's.
    Hell they don't have full arrest power all they can do is detain a person if the Constable witnesses a crime happen because the Constable can not issue a Citation with an ORI. They also can not detain you if you are parked and in your vehicle and he is standing on the sidewalk not even constituting a vehicle chase.

Like I said at least in Pennsylvania Constables have a shitty reputation because contrary to the norm it is the majority who are making the minority look bad.

Oh, not to mention in most cases most other state and local LEO's are not all that happy with Constables either.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Lackawanna County)

(this is a repost but it works for me)

This incident is the perfect example of what is wrong with the constable system as it exists today in Pennsylvania. The office of constable is a holdover or through back to those thrilling days of yore, when the King was the authority in Penn's Woods. As the commonwealth and the country developed, the office of constable just kind of morphed into its present state.

As the office exists today, it is a local office. Usually elected on the ward level. A constable may also be appointed if an opening exists. There is a good chance your constable was just appointed. Constables have only two areas of responsibility under Pennsylvania law. One is to provide coverage at the polling places, the other is to serve the minor judiciary as security and warrant service. The constables authority to serve warrants is state-wide. Constables are private contractors who are paid a fee per warrant or service. As independent contractors they must pay all out of pocket expenses.
    That includes uniforms, vehicles, weapons and insurance. Some constables claim to make a comfortable living, most do not.
    While there are usually successful constable "offices" in larger metro area, in other areas the District Justices are free to use who ever they wish. That has produced a system that is rife with favoritism, cronyism, and desention.

This is an arena where a few constables are getting most of the work. The rest are left to "patrol" the polls. If you read the few web based forums for and by PA Constables you will get a picture of a group of cop wanna-bees who are looking for any workaround to look and act like real cops.
    http://www.policeworld.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=47
    http://www.paconstable1.proboards41.com/

On these web sites they discuss where to buy used police cars, how to put together a uniform that looks like the Pa State Police. One of the popular topics is why constables should be allowed to run lights and sirens. (Aside from the lack of training). They can quote this reg and that law, or lament that the PSP has NO authority to tell them they can't.
    http://www.paconstable1.proboards41....ead=1142223325
    The bottom line is that "most" constables in PA are NOT properly trained, and have very limited oversight.
    http://www.pccd.state.pa.us/pccd/site/default.asp

There have been many incidents of constable overstepping their "authority" and causing grief to ordinary Pennsylvanians.
    http://cbs3.com/local/handcuff.car.d....2.377697.html
    We had a local ,Lackawanna County, constable who was a real hot dog. He ran a collection agency under color of the constable badge. Which is illegal by the way. He intimidated poll workers with his gun. He finally got the boot.

There is no service that a State Constable performs, that is not already provided by real law enforcement. sheriffs serve warrants and execute writs. Police departments provide security and serve PFA's. Citizens can make an arrest for crimes on view.

I think most constables get elected or appointed just to feel special. You know that nosy old guy on your block with a badge who chases skateboarders.
    Twelve signatures on a nominating petition,(or call your buddy the D.A.) and you to can get a badge and carry concealed in all fifty states

well since cz decided to be our authority,
    I'll ask who should foot the bill for serving the warrants,
    his "real" LEO's and thus, you , us, taxpayers?
    Or the constables serves the warrants and the (defendant) that didnt show, pays.

Then all expenses for equipment, uniforms, weapons ammo... would you taxpayers like to keep footing the bill, because I will take any donations, that I presently buy for myself!

cop wanna be's / Isnt that what a LEO is? What of the many police, sheriffs, Detention Officers that are also constables, are they wanna be's??

Would you rather we had no uniform, wear blue jeans and t-shirts to kick in your door and then when you defend yourself you also get arrested or killed for trying to murder a LEO. Those trying to use a professional Uniform should be applauded for trying to be Professional, Respectable looking and disciplined!

Yea I did it to feel special, my mommy didnt love me waaaaaaaaaahhhh
    And you are damn right, If you think I dont enjoy the right to carry in all 50 states!!!!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by nlcrsn View Post
    And you are damn right, If you think I dont enjoy the right to carry in all 50 states!!!!
    Yeah, and with all the gun laws out there all it took to carry in all 50 is 12 signatures, little or no training, and a big ego.

Like I said earlier out of the several constables I know I have true respect of one (1).
    Also it seems in the constable ranks it is the majority that make the minority look like real Barney Fife's.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

Quote Originally Posted by CCinPA View Post
    Yeah, and with all the gun laws out there all it took to carry in all 50 is 12 signatures, little or no training, and a big ego.

Like I said earlier out of the several constables I know I have true respect of one (1).
    Also it seems in the constable ranks it is the majority that make the minority look like real Barney Fife's.
    1.You know exactly how many constables? In what jurisdiction? Heck give me a few names!
    2. You obviously do not know me.
    3.As I have stated, several LEO's have stated that Constables' firearms training is more in depth & demanding than training they received in firearms!
    4. If you have a problem with the election system, do something, do not complain unrecognizably on the internet. I went out did what was required, I do an outstanding, professional job everyday. I've earned the respect I have, and will continue to do so!
    5. I also take training above and beyond what is required, I seek to pass that training and professionalism onto the others I work with and around.

(Luzerne County)

Since you keep bringing it up, I'd really like to hear what is so special about constables firearms training, especially the "in depth & demanding" part.

The few that I have seen at the range have a hard time hitting the target.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast