Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Where to buy Pure Lead locally?

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I know you want to go local, but here is 52-55 pounds delivered to your door for under $2 a pound and you know what you're getting (as opposed to scrap or plumbers lead).

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/55_lbs._of_lead.htm
    I used to smash old plumbing pipes apart and get the lead. You get a fair amount when you have large diameter pipe.
    When melted (it stinks as the tar and oakum burn off) I would think it is reasonably pure. The impurities float and can be skimmed off. I gave a few hundred pounds away when cleaning out my garage a few years back.

I used to order it in 25 lb sections with 5 - 5lb. ingots connected.

Some older hardware stores may have it as well as plumbing supply distributors.

imashooter2- good link

Tire weights are an alloy and to hard for round ball.

I have a good amount of them that I have cast into ingots, but cannot use for my pistol balls. It will work with a patch and ball for shooting. There is not enough expansion for a hunting ball from a rifle.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I used to smash old plumbing pipes apart and get the lead. You get a fair amount when you have large diameter pipe.
    When melted (it stinks as the tar and oakum burn off) I would think it is reasonably pure. The impurities float and can be skimmed off. I gave a few hundred pounds away when cleaning out my garage a few years back.

I used to order it in 25 lb sections with 5 - 5lb. ingots connected.

Some older hardware stores may have it as well as plumbing supply distributors.

imashooter2- good link

I've melted plenty of scrap in my time. Pipe, shower pans and roof jacks should all be soft enough for ML balls. And scrap at less than a buck a pound would be the way I'd go if I could find it. But if'n you're gonna pay cash money at a plumbing supply for whatever they are calling "pure", you may as well get known product carried to your door.

(Monroe County)

I decided to order from Ebay. 10 lbs for $13 plus $6 shipping. I probably would have spend more then $6 in gas trying to find a scrap yard that has it and who know what I would have got. Its my first time casting bullets so 10 lbs should be enough for me to determine if this is something I want to do on a regular basis.

Thanks again for your input everyone. It really helped steer me in the right direction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12