Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default learn me wheels guns.

I am looking to purchase my first revolver(my girl has expressed considerable interest in them and i myself think they are neat). I know jack diddly squat about them. I know id like atleast .38 caliber, and something not terribly expensive, or atleast something i can recoupe my money on(incase I just hate it). Does anyone have an intro to revolvers? A whats what?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: learn me wheels guns.

I would look into a used S&W Model 10 in .38. You can get a used one for between $200-300 depending on condition.

(Delaware County)

What are you looking to do with it? Just something to play with or is there the possibility that this may be a home defense/carry piece?

I mean, you can get decent cheap revolvers, but not all of them are built for the fight.

(Montgomery County)

Here is a good place to start:
    http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/b...tion-revolvers

Revolvers from Smith and Wesson and Ruger are top notch. Ruger revolvers are generally heavier and lack fine touches, yet they work and work well. Buying a revolver in .38 special or .357 Mag is a great first revolver. Get something in the medium to full size range, stay away from really small revolvers like the bodyguard series from Smith and Wesson. Small revolvers are very difficult to shoot and are great after one establishes the basics of revolver marksmanship.

Plan on doing a lot of practice and shooting lots of ammunition after you buy a revolver. Do your shooting in double action, cocking the hammer does not help develop trigger control and has no use in self defense. My two carry revolvers are double action only (they cannot be cocked) and my range time is spent shooting them only double action.

Surplus City on Bustleton Pike has great prices on used wheel guns. I saw a couple of GP100's for less than 400 bucks and they occasionally have Smith and Wesson 686/620's for around 400 bucks.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Centre County)

+1 for a Smith & Wesson or Ruger. Both are robust and have a good resale value if you find out your not interested. Get a .357, IMO, and you can shoot anything from a full house .357 to a pussycat .38.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Montgomery County)

Can not agree more with the suggestions for S&W Model 10s or other K-Frame guns in the stainless series (Model 64 is the equivalent to the 10). You can buy an excellent Model 10 from the 1980s from a variety of places on the web (via an FFL) or as suggested, Surplus City or Classic Pistol in Southampton. These are almost always ex-police guns with wear from holstering but usually not shot much at all.

There is a sticky that shows what to look for in PAFOA but the major "giveaway" is to look at the seam where the cylinder and crane are against the frame. This should be just a "hairline" when looked at from the barrel end (having made absolutely certain that the revolver is unloaded before hand!).

In addition, ask to operate the gun whilst looking at the space between the front of the cylinder and the back of the barrel. It should be almost the same for each chamber as it rotates through. Hold it up with a light behind it and operate the gun either single or double action. The space is usually between 10 and 25 thousands (so a set of cheap feeler gauges can pay off).

In addition, cock the gun and see if the cylinder will move forward or sideways for each of the six chambers. There maybe a very slight movement in each case, but if more than that, simply hand it back to the FFL and walk.

For shooting and even carrying a 4" barrel is more than adequate. In the blued guns, you will find Models 10, 13, 15 and 19 (with different sights and chamberings from 0.38 special to 0.357). Similarly, in the stainless Model 64 in 38 Spec then 65, 66,in 0.357 and 67 in 0.38 Spec. Different combinations of calibre and sights.

Remember, you can fire 0.38 Spec in 0.357 Magnums, but not the reverse (chambers are too short in the 38 Spec for the 0.357 magnum cartridge as a safety factor.

These S&Ws never wear out. I have them from 100+ years old to roughly 1990 but none of the newer versions with the gun lock. All go "bang" when needed. The 1980 and earlier S&W Revolvers are excellent value for their costs and 0.38 ammo is cheap particularly when you get into reloading as you will!!.

Enjoy the fun, Dave_n

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Here is a good place to start:
    http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/b...tion-revolvers

Plan on doing a lot of practice and shooting lots of ammunition after you buy a revolver. Do your shooting in double action, cocking the hammer does not help develop trigger control and has no use in self defense.
    In my opinion, this is good advice. Forget pulling the hammer back 'till you are proficient without touching it.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    In addition, cock the gun and see if the cylinder will move forward or sideways for each of the six chambers. There maybe a very slight movement in each case, but if more than that, simply hand it back to the FFL and walk.

Enjoy the fun, Dave_n
    in order for the wiggle test to be accurate, the gun has to be "locked up", being cocked is not being locked up.
    colts and smiths lock at different time, but both will be locked with the hammer down and the trigger still being held back.

the model 10 is a very good first revolver.
    38spl is still a fine caliber, that should not be taken lightly.
    Last edited by brian; January 17th, 2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: speelimg not being gud
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    in order for the wiggle test to accurate, the gun has to be "locked up", being cocked is not being lock up.
    colts and smiths lock at different time, but both will be locked with the hammer being down and the trigger still being held back.
    ^^^^^
    This.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Northampton County)

The only thing I'd add to Dave_n's and Brian's posts is, when you open and close the cylinder, use two hands. You don't have to handle it like it's made of eggshell, just don't hit the latch and flop the gun to the left to open, or slam it closed. These actions really stress the yoke (if it's a S&W) or crane (if it's a Colt or Ruger).