Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Joined Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association

My boy and I just recently joined the Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association. Very nice club and it offers alot for the shooting enthusiast. I am just inquiring to find out who else is a member of this club and what your oponion is of it.

I am also a member of the Murrysville District Sportsmens Club which is also a good club to shoot and to have fun.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Joined Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association

After you've gotten a feel for the club, I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts about it.

I'm a member of PMSC near Monroeville. In addition to hosting the monthly PAFOA group shoots in the area, they have decent facilities and a great group of active shooters.

That said living in Vandergrift myself, it's a bit of a haul to get out there. I wouldn't mind having a second club closer to home that I could use for quick shooting sessions.

What's the membership situation? Do you have to be sponsored by an existing member? What are the dues like?
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Allegheny County)

eXceLon,

They are currently open for new membership and you do have to be sponsored. I called and talked to the membership chairman and she sponsored me. Dues are $35/year with a $10 initiation fee. It offers the following: Archery, Pistol, Rifle, Trap Ranges and a 5 Stand.

Do you know where it is located?

(Westmoreland County)

I can't seem to find where this club is. I've been up in the air between Logans Ferry & Crowfoot. I may add this to the growing list. Looking for indoor range & lake that I could take the kids too. I know this an old thread, but if someone could give me a location I would appreciate it.

(Westmoreland County)

Nevermind I found it. Doesn't have an indoor range, but appears to have some nice property for the price.

(Allegheny County)

Blazinhi87: You're right it doesn't have an indoor range but, for the money and the club is well kept. When I was a member of Logan's Ferry Gun Club in Plum Borough, I rarely used the indoor range. It was too loud to shoot anything over a .22 caliber in range.

(Westmoreland County)

Think I'm leaning towards Crowfoot @ the moment based on the lake access for taking the kids fishing. Just want some place warm to go to in the winter or I would be all over vandergrift. I may do both for the price of vandergrift.

(Allegheny County)

Crowfoot is a nice club.

Ive been a member of VSA for 15 years. Its a very nice clean club with well maintained ranges, but its more a hunting/social club than a gun club.

"Rapid fire", whatever that means, and having more than one cartridge in the magazine is prohibited at the rifle range. The club officers and general membership generally have a negative attitude toward AR-15's and other rifles that are not legal for hunting in PA and not made of walnut and blued steel.

However, the small steel handgun range is a lot of fun, and handguns, handgun caliber rifles, and shotguns are permitted there, and "rapid fire" is OK there. Id like to see this range expanded at least several times the size it currently is, but theres little interest in doing so.

There is also a 25 yard handgun (.45 Colt and smaller)/.22 rifle range for paper target shooting with well designed benches and rests for sandbags, and excellent 2D archery walk thru trail, and trap and 5 stand up Larimer Trail on the hill.

FWIW, its a nice club for once a year hunters, but not the place for high volume shooting. The houses surrounding the club concern me also. I believe this is going to cause the club some problems in the future unfortunately.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the info guys. May consider it down the road then. Haven't been shooting in years & just wanna get back into some skills training for now. It'll be a couple years before I get back into hunting. With 2 little ones, time is very limited. Sounds like that more what the property is used for & sighting in your firearms. Gonna stick to practice for now before I get back in the woods.