Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Question OK, so I'm getting old and I wear bifocals....

Today for the first time, I realized that with my contact lenses, I'm no longer able to focus on the sights on my pistols.

So, I wore my reading glasses under my safety glasses while at the range. I found that, while it improves my focus on the sights, it makes the big flourescent dot on my targets blurry out past 7 yards.

I've heard of people who get their eyeglasses ground with the bifocal prescriptions reversed, but since I wear contacts, I don't want to wear my bifocals to the range and exchange them with "reversed" bifocal prescriptions once I get there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

PS: getting old sucks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: OK, so I'm getting old and I wear bifocals....

Quote Originally Posted by Yentl Marmelstein View Post
    Today for the first time, I realized that with my contact lenses, I'm no longer able to focus on the sights on my pistols.

So, I wore my reading glasses under my safety glasses while at the range. I found that, while it improves my focus on the sights, it makes the big flourescent dot on my targets blurry out past 7 yards.

I've heard of people who get their eyeglasses ground with the bifocal prescriptions reversed, but since I wear contacts, I don't want to wear my bifocals to the range and exchange them with "reversed" bifocal prescriptions once I get there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

There is no good solutioin to this problem ... or if you find one let me know.

Since you wear contacts, you can solve your problem by wearing prescription safety glasses.

I wear glasses all the time. For any precision work with a hand gun (like sighting in) I have a pair of bifocals with the "add" on the top of the right lens, set to focus out at 28 inches. There have been what are called "tradesmen glasses" out there for years, with the "add" at the top of both lenses, so that painters, electricians and others who have focus on objects above them (as on a cieling) can look through the top of the lenses and get a clear view. Any optomitrist can put one of those focals on the top in your dominant eye only, and set the focal distance for about where your front sight will be. It works well, but only if you have that pair of glasses on.

The problem is that one will not likely have that pair of glasses other than on the range.

I use progressive bi-focals for everyday wear. By pulling my head back I can get a decent sight picture, which is all I will have time for in a fight anyway.

I have also gone to fiber-optic front sights on my hand guns. They are much easier to pick up than black sights. They don't afford as precise a sight picture as black sights, but with presbyopia crisp sight pictures are a thing of the past anyway.

I have heard that progressive contact lenses are now practical. You might ask about those.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    I have heard that progressive contact lenses are now practical. You might ask about those.
    I did. My optometrist says they're horrible.

Thanks for the response.

(Washington County)

The guys on that guntalk radio show say this style is great to add to your normal shooting glasses, just at the top instead of at the bottom.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf34.html
    http://www.amazon.com/OPTX-20-Stick-.../dp/B000W7HQCQ

Should get you much like the glasses that Pete is talking about, with a little bit of trial and error.

(Lancaster County)

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

It's time for a Chrimson Trace Laser. That's what I did on my carry gun.

(Allegheny County)

Simple, no more shooting for you so donate all your guns to me!

Since you wear contacts, you can solve your problem by wearing prescription safety glasses.
    I am still young but think this would be the best suggestion. Wear them instead of your contacts when you are going to the range.

Thanks for the response.
    For this, I would say to tell your optometrist to let you decide for yourself if they are horrible or not and ask for a sample to try out.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the response.
    I have presbyopia and recently switched to contacts. I chose mono-vision contacts. Aiming eye for close up, other eye for distance. I had my optometrist adjust the default prescription for a further focus point on the close-up lens. I had her configure it for approx 30" instead of the standard close-up reading distance. This way I can focus on the front sight and still be able to make out the target (pistol shooting ranges). I also use them for computer work and they work great! The only issue is if you want to read something, you have to hold it at arms length.

Mono-vision link: http://vision.about.com/od/contactle...Monovision.htm

There are 3 types of "Progressive" contacts. If I were you I'd look into them further.

Link: http://www.allaboutvision.com/over40/multifocalcls.htm

My optometrist recommended the concentric type for what I want to use them for (shooting).
    I may take the plunge and try out the progressives this year, but it cost $300+ to fit them with no guarantee they will meet my needs.
    Last edited by Hawk; January 18th, 2011 at 11:54 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

All I can say is I use a set, and they work. Does your optomitrist shoot much?

I would look for a second opinion.

(Lancaster County)

Can you focus OK on close-up stuff if you remove your contacts? That was my situation. I stopped wearing contacts and went back to wearing glasses so I could take them off when I work close up or read. This was a solution to me because I don't mind wearing glasses and I was going to have to wear them one way or the other anyway. So I wear them when I drive or watch TV and that's about it.

That might be a solution for you. But it depends on how much you like your contacts. Which most everyone really does.

Getting old is OK. It's like every other stage in life, some have benefits and some have detriments. Disclaimer: I am old.
    Johnnie F.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfritz View Post
    Getting old is OK. It's like every other stage in life, some have benefits and some have detriments. Disclaimer: I am old.
    nope. im slower. cant stay up as late. cant drink as much. cant see as well. my joints ache. my short term memory is going. hwat are we discussing?

the only thing that has gotten better is my hindsight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast