Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Hits harder when it hits home

First off this is a prime example of why I carry and I am sure why most of you do.

Last night my fiance got a call from her father. Her sister was mugged and pistol whipped. We have to give her credit, though in a way dumb, for standing up for herself and trying to fight the attacker off. Normally she carries a tazer, this night she didn't have it on her, unfortunately. She is fine aside from a sore face. She lost her cell phone to the attacker and a few bucks in her purse.

This was not in PA it was in Daytona Beach. She just moved there a couple months ago. We are trying to talk her into some self defense classes and firearm training so she can carry. She already plans on never leaving home without her tazer again.

I just figured I would post this to remind everyone IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE! AT ANYTIME.

Stay safe.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Hits harder when it hits home

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post

IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE! AT ANYTIME.
    Winning phrase right there. Glad she's ok man!

(Philadelphia County)

I have family in the Daytona Beach area. I was told, preface told, that bums were given one way bus tickets out of their own town and the destination was Daytona Beach. I'll try and verify. Glad she is ok.

Edit: It looks like it's the other way around.
    Last edited by JIDinPhilly; January 16th, 2011 at 08:48 PM.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Cumberland County)

It's stuff like this I force myself to bring a gun anytime I leave the house, even if I'm just going to a friends house. I tell myself, the one time I don't carry is the time I'll need it. I haven't needed a gun in the previous 23 years of my life, but have been carrying for the past year. Don't leave home without it. Same goes with a tazer, if that's what she prefers.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    It's stuff like this I force myself to bring a gun anytime I leave the house, even if I'm just going to a friends house. I tell myself, the one time I don't carry is the time I'll need it. I haven't needed a gun in the previous 23 years of my life, but have been carrying for the past year. Don't leave home without it. Same goes with a tazer, if that's what she prefers.
    I'm with you on that one. same amount of time as well, lmao. Quite a few of my buddies shoot, a few carry. There's a few that don't know crap about firearms, they are obviously not close friends or else I'd teach them already. I got a "Why do you feel the need to carry that?" a few days ago, my response "I don't need to carry it, but if I needed it and didn't have it I'd be robbed, injured, or dead. I'm sticking with choice A."

OP, Im happy to hear she's ok, sucks that happened to her. Shes going to be carrying that tazer everywhere now, which she should. Glad that life lesson didn't cost your sister's life.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    You are right. Ever since i got my license to drive i wore my seatbelt. I always told myself the one day i don't put it on is the one day i will need it. An accident is an "accident" and a surprise attack is a "surprise". I rather be prepared.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    Normally she carries a tazer, this night she didn't have it on her, unfortunately.
    She already plans on never leaving home without her tazer again.
    This is a perfect demonstration of why it's silly when people criticize us for carrying all the time. You have no way of knowing when trouble is going to find you, and the time that you leave it at home might just be the time that you finally need it.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

I'm glad the hear she came out physically ok. Expect some psyhcological backlash. Even without violence, such events can cause some people to experience panic, paranoia, and question their own fault to the event. She'll get through it fine with just a little support from loved ones. Don't do the "I told you so" crap and don't try and force defensive classes...yet. Let it sink in and listen to what she says about it all. Then suggest classes. Or she just may be one of those people who takes immediate action and begins learning more on her own.

I've been carrying for 31 years and my only 2 actual draws were both in Florida, Miami to be exact. Neither resulted in firing and the events were quelled by other means.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Berks County)

Thank you all for the kind words and support.

ErSwnn, no we aren't force feeding her any means of counter action. It was subtle, food for thought, if you will. Something to think about. I agree. It is too recent to think about anything but recovery. She has a ton of support. Some of which wants to go track the guy down >. But the sane side of us prevails and we are all just happy it ended the way it did. She is safe at home and we don't have to make untimely funeral arrangements.

I respect your insight, and fully agree with it.

(Beaver County)

Good to hear she's OK. Hopefully you can convince her to take some self defense classes and firearm training so she can carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast