Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    (York County)

Default Re: Can you/Do you carry the Desert Eagle?

Of course its possible. The only way i'd ever carry something that large is in a shoulder holster. Regardless, i would never carry one. I dont care for, nor do i, or would i ever, need that that big of a round (.50 cal) or that large of a framed handgun for personal protection. I dont live in an area where i'm threatened by large game enough where i can warrant such a round.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    When a person is flashy with his firearm, he over exercises his right to bear arms.
    Are you kidding? That's laughable. I have to agree with Carnes on this one. Exactly how does one over exercise a right? Because I wouldn't want to over exercise my right to be free from illegal search and seizure... Maybe I'll let the officer search a little of my car or house with no reason for him to do so... Or maybe it's ok for me to believe in God and live a Christian lifestyle, but you certianly can't believe in Mohammed and live as a Muslim...

These are rights. There aren't varying degrees of rights.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Chester County)

I chuckled when i saw this thread was back... I was going to comment but there's no point. Close minded opinions are everywhere. Thanks for the backing on my points guys. To anyone else, get bent.

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Are you kidding? That's laughable. I have to agree with Carnes on this one. Exactly how does one over exercise a right? Because I wouldn't want to over exercise my right to be free from illegal search and seizure... Maybe I'll let the officer search a little of my car or house with no reason for him to do so... Or maybe it's ok for me to believe in God and live a Christian lifestyle, but you certianly can't believe in Mohammed and live as a Muslim...

These are rights. There aren't varying degrees of rights.
    When you say you like showing off a little (with a DE, or any other handgun), it can be perceived as an intimidation tactic, therefore overexercising your rights. Just because you carry a big gun does not overexercise a your right to bear arms, but the way you go about it can. It's a perception dude. I hope you are intelligent enough to understand my opinion on the matter. Arguing on a dead thread is hardly worth a toss to me so I will not even link to it, again. Tell Carnes the the OP started the thread to show that it is possible for a person to carry a DE. Had he done that, none of this would have happened...sad.

(Allegheny County)

Quoted from carnes- "Hmm... Social manipulation? Are guns somehow different, strange creations that have to be treated differently than any other object in our day to day lives?"

Sadly, yes. They are the inanimate objects that others want to take away from us. As soon as there is a cry for fast cars to be outlawed after someone is killed by one or beer is outlawed because of a drunk driver killing somebody then they can be treated the same.

To the op- If you wanna carry it, that's your business. Is it practical? I think everybody knows the answer to that one.

I just think that we as responsible firearm owners need to be careful that we don't give the anti's any ammunition that questions our reasons for carrying.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by eddyb74 View Post

I just think that we as responsible firearm owners need to be careful that we don't give the anti's any ammunition that questions our reasons for carrying.
    Awesome idea. Let's back ourselves into a corner and offer the opposition only one obsticle or valid argument to carry a gun. That way they can concentrate on attacking one excuse until it becomes no excuse. When exactly did we forget that carrying a weapon had roots in a completely different ideal then self defense?

Chaos, carry whatever the hell makes you happy, and THANK YOU for doing so.

Unfortunately there are people in the country that define themselves by their guns, and those are the people that scare me. I live to exercise my rights as an individual, and because I value those rights I welcome any new comers to join the ranks of those that are willing to take on a great responsibility of protecting their family and friends.

But this isn't the middle east. We don't all need to be trained by the swat team in order to exhibit courage under duress. Is a DE a tactically sound choice? Probably not for a career LEO, but when the guy robbing the bank doesn't know you have it...lol. They will be cleaning for weeks, but the outcome will be the same as if I had my .45.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Awesome idea. Let's back ourselves into a corner and offer the opposition only one obsticle or valid argument to carry a gun. That way they can concentrate on attacking one excuse until it becomes no excuse. When exactly did we forget that carrying a weapon had roots in a completely different ideal then self defense?
    I reread my post several times as well as yours. How did you come to this conclusion?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by eddyb74 View Post
    I reread my post several times as well as yours. How did you come to this conclusion?
    First, nothing derogatory towards you. I get a little dissapointed when people go out of their way to make carrying a gun "socially acceptable". If we retreat to rationalizing the whole self defense scenario we limit our arguments.

Basically I don't look for ways to not give someone a reason to hate me. I live my life with integrity and if you don't like my choices then choose to remove yourself from my presence. Does it make me irresponsible because I open carry and many people think that is giving them a reason to attack gun ownership? Should I then only CC? But what if saomeone sees my gun printing at church? Do I take it off before I go to church so that I don't give them a reason to speak out about guns? Pretty soon I will be completely unarmed. That's where I was trying to get to with my response.

I know it takes a little while to get there, but thanks for bearing with me.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516