Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Suggestions for the Next Step?

A little background. I have been shooting for awhile with my wife taking a very hands-off attitude. I would always ask if she would want to go and it was always no way. Right before Christmas, I asked as I normally did and she said yes, after picking myself off the floor, we went shooting.

I had planned for this day a long time and it went great. We used standard targets (not bad guy targets), rented a Browning .22LR pistol and started out at 5 yards. Well within 20 rounds she was putting all shots inside the 9 ring. Moved out to 7 yards and she still maintained all shots inside the 9 ring. Since everything was going well, I had her shoot my xd40sc at 5 yards. She shot 2 rounds and both were inside the 7 ring but she did not feel comfortable.

Advance a couple weeks and we just went again. Got the Browning again and she is becoming very comfortable with it. This time, I brought my xd9sc and she shot better with it than the XD40SC but still was not comfortable. We think is has a lot to do with the grip and back of handle safety. She can't hold it comfortably and engage the safety. It may also have to do with the kick.

My question, should I have her try a different 9mm with a longer barrel? (less kick) If so what type? Is there anything between a .22LR and 9mm what would have less kick?

I believe that we will get to her being comfortable with a 9mm, I just want to do it the best way possible.

My long term goal is to have her ask me when we are going to shoot

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Suggestions for the Next Step?

A bigger heavier gun will give less percieved recoil. A Beretta 92 of some sort is supposed to be a very smoothly recoiling gun, and would probably be good for your wife to try.

However, I'm of the opinion that recoil "scares" everyone, no matter the gun the first few times they shoot it. You have to train yourself to become accustomed to it. Sometimes there are other factors involved, like noise, this one can be magnified if you're shooting at an indoor range.

So use good ear pro (and eye) and keep her shooting.

ETA: You asked about a caliber between 9mm and .22lr... Hmmmm. You could try .38 special out of a big, heavy, steel framed revolver. I'd stay away from .380, since most .380s tend to be light and small and blowback operated. You could also try .32 acp if you could find something to rent in that caliber. My girlfriend has taken to my Kel Tec P32 pretty well, and it is pretty mild. Again, I'd avoid blowback guns though, maybe even in .32acp.

Even trying a full size Glock or XD in 9mm might help, but like I said above, minimizing percieved recoil isn't a cure all. One must become accustomed to recoil, and loud noise.

Best of luck!
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Lackawanna County)

My g/f had the same problems......suppressor on the glock 19 solved it and she shoots it like a trained assassin now lol.

(Delaware County)

A bigger heavier gun will give less percieved recoil. A Beretta 92 of some sort is supposed to be a very smoothly recoiling gun, and would probably be good for your wife to try.
    Thanks for the reply, Figured I would try a bigger gun, I don't know if her hands are big enough for a full size gun, but I think she will be willing to try other guns now

However, I'm of the opinion that recoil "scares" everyone, no matter the gun the first few times they shoot it. You have to train yourself to become accustomed to it. Sometimes there are other factors involved, like noise, this one can be magnified if you're shooting at an indoor range.

So use good ear pro (and eye) and keep her shooting.
    I really don't think it is a "scare" problem. Just a comfort level issue. Currently letting her use my Peltor Electronic Headphones

ETA: You asked about a caliber between 9mm and .22lr... Hmmmm. You could try .38 special out of a big, heavy, steel framed revolver. I'd stay away from .380, since most .380s tend to be light and small and blowback operated. You could also try .32 acp if you could find something to rent in that caliber. My girlfriend has taken to my Kel Tec P32 pretty well, and it is pretty mild. Again, I'd avoid blowback guns though, maybe even in .32acp.
    Hadn't thought about a wheel gun but I think the next step will be a larger frame 9mm.

Again Thanks

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    My g/f had the same problems......suppressor on the glock 19 solved it and she shoots it like a trained assassin now lol.
    Don't think she or I for that matter are ready for a suppressor yet

(Allegheny County)

is this gun just for target practice? how about trying out a reduced recoil spring?

the weight of the gun has a lot to do with the experienced recoil. I used to take my wife out to shoot my M&P which has a polymer frame and she sort of liked it. I just got a STi Spartan 9mm which is a steel frame and a little heavier, put a aluminum buffer in it and a lighter mainspring and she absolutely loves it. If you are ever out in the Pittsburgh area, I invite you to try it out if you are interested.

(Lancaster County)

I second the thought of a revolver.

(Elk County)

Johnn.K:

While I share your excitement at your wife's interest in shooting, IMO you ought to "curb your enthusiasm" and just continue to take her to the range and shoot the .22 until SHE mentions wanting to move to something with more juice.

Best thing to do is take her to a shop and have her handle larger autos to see which fits the hand the best. The objective is find something comfortable in the hand, and something she can rack the slide on. Start with a Browning High Power, if one is available. That's a slim contoured grip for a 13+1 hicap. If not, have her try a SIG P225/P6, or a P228 or P229. Stick to 9mm, because the .40 has a bit more juice and you do NOT want to scare her away. Alternatively, rent a 38 Special revolver and standard 158 gr LRN ammo. That's about as meek as it gets anymore. The objective is to maintain what interest she has, and keep building on it.

In any event, if she picks the handgun that feels the best and your range has one to rent, when SHE'S ready, rent it and let her try it out. Because she got to do the picking, she's got ownership in the decision outcome and will be less likely to reject the selected weapon when it comes time to fire. Don't pick the gun YOU want, or you think she wants, let HER pick the gun she's the most comfortable with.

NOTE: rwb1500 recommended staying away from .380s, and I have to agree, for the most part. Many wonen don't have the hand grip strength to grasp a pocket auto slide and rack it, because the recoil springs in pocket autos tend to have a higher level of force than the recoil springs in a locked breech pistol. My wife can't rack the slide of a PPk, but has no problem with the slides on a 1911, Beretta 92, BHP, SIG 22X series, or a Springer XD.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Luzerne County)

I went through the same process with my wife.

I HIGHLY recommend a .38/.357 revolver in a medium to large frame.

My wife did not like the perceived recoil of my Ruger P89 which I though was light because it is so heavy. I had her shoot my GP100 with a 6 inch barrel with .38s and she loved it.

She shot that for a while and now occasionally tries .357 rounds. She has become fairly decent with it. I wanted it this way so she is comfortable with how it works and can use it proficiently if I am not home or am disabled in a battle for our lives. We each store our preferred home defense weapon in our own nightstands.

I also sometimes carry an SP101 and have shown her how it works similarly in the event I am brought down and she can gain access to my weapon she can at least defend her life if needed.

Start here and work up to the autos you may have better luck with keeping her interested.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I second the thought of a revolver.
    I third it

38 special is really a nice load and it's very versatile. Load it light and it's no louder than a 22 or load it heavy to +P status (make sure the gun you use can handle it) and it can be as deadly as a 357. If you are only interested in semi auto then look for a 38 Super...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast