Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Another "what generation Glock to get dilemma"

A Glock 17 is a gun that has been on my radar for a few years. I already have four other Glocks including a 19 so I am able to temporarily subdue this desire but it always comes back up so I need to just get one. I know of two places right now (and could probably find more) that have used generation 3s for 400 dollars. Yesterday I found a new (to me) shop not far from my home and found a generation 1 in 99 percent condition. The shop says it may never have been fired but unless the previous owner enjoyed racking the slide back and forth I believe it has. Regardless, its in great shape and the price is 400 as well. The thought of a generation 1 never really crossed my mind and the ad in the classifieds here offering the chance to buy a piece of history made me laugh. This one is in great shape though and it does have me thinking so here I am to call upon the advice and wisdom of my fellow PAFOA members. My current frame of mind is to give it a week and if the gen 1 is still there buy it and if its gone to just pick one of the gen 3s up. Thanks in advance, Brian
    Last edited by bripro; January 16th, 2011 at 09:20 AM.

Default Re: Another "what generation Glock to get dilemma"

"It wasn't fired much" is cliche in most gun shops I have been in. When I buy used (not that often), I consider that the gun has been used a jack handle, even, and then consider if I want to pay what the person is asking, unless I know for sure how much it was shot or how well it was cared for. The good thing is up through the Gen 3's, being shot a few times doesn't matter too much. Most people will never shoot out a Glock pistol. I've heard that the Gen 4's have had some issues, but I don't keep up with Glock enough to know much about them. I got used to my two out of the box and that is how I use them, and they work great. Without regressing any further, you could definitely do worse if you did not get either one. See if you can get another $25 or so off the price. JMHO

(Lancaster County)

I'd get a Gen3 for a little more than a Gen1 that was "owned by a little old lady from Buffalo that only drove it back and forth to church every third sunday".

At least with the Gen3 you get the accessory rail.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Monroe County)

The Gen 1 is probably the only one I would actually stay away from due to the early problems they had, which I believe was one of the reasons that sparked Gen 2 production. Other than that I know of a site that sells police trade ins at great prices if you're interested. They have a bunch of Gen 2 22's right now too. I know you're talking about 9mm not .40, but they're there.

The Gen 2 G-22's are $315.00 plus $18.00 shipping right now.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I know of two places right now (and could probably find more) that have used generation 3s for 400 dollars.
    As I've pointed out in other threads, you can get a brand new Glock (17, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 31, 32 or 33, Gen 3 or 4) for $460 ($425 + $35 Glock Shooting Sports Foundation annual membership fee).

(Bradford County)

Well my pref would be stick with the Gen3, older brother had the Gen1 G23, i own the Gen3 G23, had only held the Gen4 for a few seconds, i personally dislike the "New" feel of them. Purchasing a used anything from a place i am not comfy with wont happen, even new i am skeptical on unless i been there a few times "Checking things out". i would spend a few extra and go new, or at least go somewhere your more comfy with when you hear the inevitable, "It has hardly been fired", line.