Now that is Tacti-Cool

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: PGH Group AR Build

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    SWEET!

For my kit I'm considering the following:

16 Rifle Kit -BarrelTI 16" 1x9 Heavy Barrel
    Joe,

The only reason HBAR's (heavy barrels) are offered is because it saves the manufacturer the expense of turning them down to a conventional profile. Nothing special about them from the perspective of accuracy.

Questions: Chrome bolt, worth it?
    No.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    Brought to you by the folks at LPT.
    great job GRoPA.

good to know i have such innovative people working for me.

(Allegheny County)

when we are talking about one twist rate likeing a heavy or light bullet what exactly are the weight ranges to consider for the different twists? (1:7,1:8,1:9)

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    If I wanted to plink at 50 yards I would not have sold the Hi-Point carbine.
    EM,

If you ever have occasion to attend a carbine class, you will have a new found respect for the 50 yard line.

(Westmoreland County)

O.K. guys....get your wallets out. Here is an AR accessory that I just developed. Get them while they're hot!!
    I've always used the lanyard loop on my 1911 MS Housing.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post

OK.....we have these guys officially out of AR 101 and into the advanced coursework......

Lycantiredfingersthrope

Hey, where was the signup sheet for AR 100????

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    when we are talking about one twist rate likeing a heavy or light bullet what exactly are the weight ranges to consider for the different twists? (1:7,1:8,1:9)
    1:12 is OK for weights up to 55gr (M193 NATO is an example)

1:9 is OK for weights up to about 69gr (62gr M855 NATO and 69gr Federal Gold Medal Match are examples)

1:8 / 1:7 is OK for weights of 70gr + (75gr Tap and 77gr MK262 MOD 1 are examples)

The military standardized on 1:7 in order to stabilize the 63gr M856 Tracer not because it's "heavy" but because of its length. Lycan mentioned the length vs. weight issue in one of his replies.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Lycan mentioned the length vs. weight issue in one of his replies.
    I'll bet he did.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Lawrence County)

I'll bet he did.
    Maybe freakin once ....or twice....

I don't know what anyone says.....but from my reloading experience this applies:

(It applies mostly to lead core ammo. Copper solids and steel core may vary! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/F...for_barrel.htm

Now..I WILL say this that here are some really good bullets out there these days. A 140gr Barnes X will travel end to end through a moose. A light weight Barnes in 55gr will shroom up and travel though humans easily, and likely Yeti........little research has really been done on all the bullet styles and weights. Rounds like the Hornady TAP are new..... and your best bet for defeating humans ........with the CURRENT research to date. I killed A LOT of deer with 87gr Hornady spires in .243 that fell HARD.......TAP doesn't really appear to be anything more than a GOOD hunting round...(it's not a complicated Nosler Fail Safe.....which blows phallus IMHO)...that has not been marketed to the self defense crowd until recently. Hell, watch a hunting show and see how "premium" bullets drop deer....they run 100 yards! A decent ballistic tip may ruin meat, but they fold deer like they are hit with the hammer of God! Of course.....the new ballistic tips are harder and don't always do that....... What do you want for humans...hell.....or zombies.

Confused yet? Let me tell you something the long range rifle shooters always took as fact..... If it doesn't work in your rifle...it doesn't work.

All this AR stuff has really been behind the curve in terms of different applications other than military. THAT is documented really well. Since it's the only thing that has been documented well......it's the only real research. Is it good reaearch? Yes it is. Is it the best option for defense? I personally do not think so from my experiences.....but I encourage you to explore that for yourself. I cannot quantify hits on men. But..I know what the bullets I shoot do to meat....despite whatever the TV shows say is "best".

If you can afford the Hornady TAP........I really love Hornady...I shot 139's at 3350fps for years in a 7STW and they absolutely destroyed deer....I mean double digits of deer that folded like they were filled with cement....those bullets exploded like grenades and made deeer DRN (dead right now)...........I digress........ Anyhow, if you are REALLY serious about personal defense on humans and you can AFFORD a few hundred rounds of TAP......get a twist that will shoot it tight. (1:8-1:7)...and sight it in for that. If you are gonna get 1000 rounds of Wolf 55gr....then go 1:9.

Asking which AR is best is like asking which bolt and caliber is best for deer..........

Do you shoot deer in the woods or fields? Do you want less meat damage or DRN? Do you want faster follow ups or more accuracy? Do you want to please the huntng crown by buying a 30-06 or invoke the wrath of "experts" by using an "ultra magnum" ....that "no one" needs? Who cares if you can sight said ultra mag 3" high at 100 and shoot dead on to 400...... I MEAN DAMN! All of a sudden 100-400 yards can be done by mediocre marksman!....with little thought! Is that bad? Less worthy?....just because old timers said it couldn't be done in their time?

If anything....NEVER take what I say as gospel. Take it as a suggestion and see if it fits you and your application.

Whether you agree or disagree....if you try it and find it lacking...then it is. Otherwise, I'm just trying to make you better.

Lycansometimesappearscockybutreallyjustdidalotofho meresearch...sorry...thrope
    Last edited by Lycanthrope; December 13th, 2007 at 12:40 AM.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 25 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast