Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Henderson Defense "certified" WASR 10/63 Review

I mentioned awhile back I was looking into purchasing an AK-47. I was stuck on whether I wanted to just buy a WASR, shoot the shit out of it for cheap and just know that it's an AK and it ain't gonna be pretty. Or convert a Saiga myself and have a fairly decent quality AK for a little bit heftier of a price.

Christmas came and went and I decided on buying a WASR from Classic Arms along with 300 rounds of 7.62x39 (i know, only 300!? lol) and a set of tapco furniture to make it the "evil" black rifle. Now here is where the fun began.

I placed my order at Classic and two days later found out they were out of stock, kinda bummed me out but I decided on taking another route. I found Henderson Defense and their certified WASRs. I liked the idea of a little bit more assurance and for only $20 more, I didn't think it was that bad.

I decided on having it sent to AF Boyer Hardware in Slatington. Henderson Defense did not have their FFL so I requested Boyer to fax them a copy. Something I thought would be almost instantaneous took almost a week. Did anyone else have this issue with Boyers? I am by far NOT degrading Boyers because their customer service and feel of the shop far out weighs the week long wait. What was really great about this whole waiting experience was that I kept in contact with Henderson Defense on the status of them receiving Boyers FFL. As the week came to an end (last week) the man I spoke to on the phone, I believe his name is AJ, offered some compensation for the long wait (even though it was not his fault!) The WASR on his site only comes with one magazine but he said he would throw in another one. One last comment I have about Henderson is the attitude of the guy I spoke to on the phone. Phenomenally pleasant, probably the best most non-condescending person I've talked to in the gun business. Our phone calls weren't all just about business, we discussed other guns, likes and dislikes, pretty much anything, really a down to earth great guy. Anyway it arrived at Boyers yesterday - 1/14.

Upon opening the box I found the rifle, a bayonet, two 30rd magazines, a 40rd magazine !, and the cleaning kit/tool. Missing was the cleaning rod, sling, pouch and oil bottle. First thing I did was check for any cant in the front sight, appeared to be dead on. Next I tried all 3 magazines to check for wobble. With all 3 steel mags there appears to be little to no wobble. Finally I took the dust cover off to take a look inside the receiver. No rust or metal shavings and the mag well appeared to be cut fairly clean. This ended my inspection until I got home with it to completely tear it down, clean and re-oil and install the new furniture. I paid $25 for the transfer and went on my merry way.

I got home with the rifle and began tearing it down. As said before, besides the excessive grease which was all cleaned out, the receiver was in great condition, it's stamped GP/WASR-10/63 and above it "1968". The bolt and carrier were rust free and cleaned up nice. A few strokes through the barrel with Hoppe's 9 and cleaning patches cleaned it right out and no rust was apparent.

The worst part of the rifle was the gas tube. Taking it off was no issue but when I looked down it, there appeared to be some rust. I heard I could take a 12g bristle brush down it to remove any surface rust? I haven't tried it yet. I cleaned any gunk out of it and here is where the hard part came in - putting it back on. It would not slide up enough to sit all the way flush in the receiver. I tried putting a very very slight amount of oil over the contact points of the gas tube and it still would not go via hand. Unfortunately, here came the hammer. After some messing around and hits with the hammer, the gas tube was flush and the tab closed without a problem. Any suggestions on what I could do here to reduce this issue would be greatly appreciated. (The hard re-installation and rust.)

Putting the new Tapco hand guard and buttstock on was no issue, as it shouldn't be. Once I had it all together I couldn't take my eyes off it, I loved the way it looked, even better with the bayonet . I am taking it to the range today and unless I post another thread stating that anything was wrong with the way it shoots, assume it shot like any other Romy WASR.

This is my first review and I'm fairly new to guns, so go easy on me hah. If you have any other questions I didn't fulfill this this review, please feel free to ask here or PM.

Of course I couldn't do this write-up with out pics right?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Henderson Defense "certified" WASR 10/63 Review

Get the rest of it all nice and rusty and you won't notice the rust in the gas tube. Remember, its not a collectible, its a war horse.

(Northumberland County)

I bought one too last month, i love it ! works flawlessly . Mine came from Century Arms shipped to my local FFL dealer along with 2 mags , bayonet mag pouch, mine didnt have a cleaning rod either but no worries i have my own cleaning kit.

Enjoy your new WASR 10/63 i did mine!

(Lehigh County)

Put 220 rounds of wolf through it yesterday without a single failure. I love this gun.