Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Wave of Home Invasions Puts the Wealthy on Alert

Good tips here for the rest of US that are not rich, notice the rich want armed guards in their homes and read the last two paragraphs
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119508694182293480.html

Wave of Home Invasions
    Puts the Wealthy on Alert

Lax Security Often Opens Door
    To Increasingly Brazen Crimes;
    The Buffetts' Uninvited Guest
    By M.P. MCQUEEN
    November 15, 2007; Page D1

In the past year, billionaire investors Warren Buffett and Ernest Rady, socialite Anne Bass and professional basketball players Eddy Curry and Antoine Walker all have joined a group to which they would rather not belong: victims of home invasion.

In affluent enclaves across the country, from Beverly Hills, Calif., to Scarsdale, N.Y., these high-profile cases and others -- many of them unsolved -- have set nerves on edge amid what law-enforcement officials and security experts say is becoming an alarming trend. One particularly gruesome case in July underscored the dangers for many, when a home invasion in Cheshire, Conn., ended in the deaths of a doctor's wife and his two daughters. Two men have been arrested and charged in the case.

In home-invasion robberies -- unlike burglaries -- thieves hope to confront the occupants, often intending to force victims to open a safe or divulge bank-card PIN numbers. Home invasions aren't separately tallied by the Federal Bureau of Investigation or by most state and local police. According to the most recent FBI data, residential robberies, which include home invasions, rose nearly 13% in 2006 from 2002, even as violent crime overall decreased 0.4%. Last year, 64,000 residential robberies were reported.

Experts believe home invasions are underreported. Security experts who serve high-profile clients say their clients often don't report attempted robberies to the police because of privacy concerns. And local law-enforcement agencies only keep track of incidents within their jurisdictions, making it difficult to establish a national picture for these crimes.

The Connecticut State Police handled two high-profile home invasions recently, including the Cheshire case. Police spokesman Lt. J. Paul Vance says, "It hasn't reached epidemic levels, but certainly we are very aware of this type of criminal activity and behavior."

The impact on victims is profound. When Mr. Rady, the 70-year-old Wachovia Co. director and principal shareholder, his wife Evelyn, 66, and their housekeeper were assaulted by a Taser-wielding intruder in their La Jolla, Calif., home in February, "it was a life-changing event for the family," says their attorney, Robert L. Grimes. Since the robbery, members of the extended Rady family have hired personal armed bodyguards and installed elaborate home-security systems, the attorney says.

According to San Diego police, Mr. Rady was stunned with the Taser, bound with duct tape, and cut with a sharp object as the intruder tried to force the couple to produce cash and valuables. The robber, who is still at large, escaped with less than $100, police and Mr. Grimes say.

One reason for the rise in home invasions is demographic: The numbers of rich people with homes to plunder has risen fast in recent years. But police and security experts say robbers are hitting homes more because their traditional targets -- banks, stores and offices -- have been hardened with closed-circuit video surveillance, alarms and guards. By comparison, security at many private homes remains lax, they say.

Indeed, in several high-profile crimes, assailants gained access through unlocked doors. In other cases, home-alarm systems apparently weren't turned on. Security and alarm experts say this is a surprisingly common mistake: Many homeowners lock their doors and set alarms only when they are away.

Increasingly, wealthy and high-profile individuals must step up security at home and be vigilant in their cars to avoid becoming victims, security experts and police say. They may also need to reduce the amount of information they reveal about themselves on the Internet in places like Facebook, and in the media. And perhaps most importantly, they should thoroughly investigate the background of anyone who has access to their home, because many robberies are inside jobs.

"I have gone out to estates that are absolutely magnificent and have been shocked that they have the same level of security as for a rowhouse in Queens," says Paul Michael Viollis Sr., chief executive of Risk Control Strategies of New York. The firm does complimentary "personal risk assessments" for high-net-worth clients of the Chubb Group of Insurance Cos.

In some areas, that is beginning to change. Around the stately homes of Greenwich, Conn., many of the low, meandering stone borders typical of New England are being replaced with thick, shoulder-high walls and densely packed treelines to block any view from the street. Local real-estate agents say they've also seen an upswing in the number of people putting in driveway entrance gates with touchpad security systems, even for relatively modest homes.

Gideon Fountain, vice president of Cleveland, Duble & Arnold, a Greenwich real-estate firm, says investor Edward Lampert's kidnapping there in 2003 was a watershed event. Mr. Lampert was held at gunpoint for two days and talked his captors into letting him go. "People think what are the odds it could happen to them? Not good, but possible," Mr. Fountain says.

Inadequate security may have played a part in what happened to Anne Bass, the 65-year-old ex-wife of billionaire oil investor Sid Richardson Bass, and her friend, painter Julian Lethbridge, 60, in April, when several robbers entered her 1,000-acre estate in rural Litchfield County, Conn. Bass's preschool-age grandson also was home at the time.

The robbers put a gun to Mr. Lethbridge's head and held the two captive, their eyes blindfolded and their mouths taped shut. At one point, Ms. Bass and Mr. Lethbridge were injected with a blue liquid the men claimed held a lethal virus, hoping to scare the captives into handing over millions in cash for an antidote. They left about 10 hours later, apparently convinced there wasn't a lot of cash in the house.

A case containing a gun, knife and syringes, including one with a blue fluid, washed ashore days later about 90 miles away in Queens, N.Y. A Jeep stolen from the property also was recovered in New York City, but no arrests have been made, according to Connecticut State Police.

Several security and alarm experts say crimes like these can be prevented with a perimeter motion-detection system that sounds whenever someone drives or walks onto a property. Many alarm systems wire only the doors and windows of a home; the problem with that, security experts say, is that by the time someone trips the alarm, it can be too late. Moreover, any alarm system has to be armed to work, and often, they aren't.

Home-invasion robbers also pick their victims by staking them out in public and following them home. That is what may have happened to Messrs. Walker and Curry of the National Basketball Association in separate incidents in July. Police believe the men were trailed to their multimillion-dollar homes in Chicago, where they were surprised by armed masked men. In each case, the robbers stole thousands of dollars in cash and jewelry, as well as the victims' cars, police say. Four men, alleged gang members, have been charged in connection with those robberies.

Police and security experts say that to avoid this type of robbery, people should be alert to whether they are being followed before driving onto their property, and if they are, to call the police or drive to a police station. Houses should be well-lighted with automatic exterior lights. Additionally, security experts advise clients to avoid drawing attention to money and possessions while they're out and about. They also recommend reducing the amount of detailed personal information that can be found on the Web.

While at home, it is a mistake to open the door without verifying the identity of a visitor first and to accept unscheduled deliveries. Security experts say homes should be equipped with a voice-video intercom system with cameras trained on the doors and the grounds, and deliveries should be sent to a post-office box or family office instead of to the residence.

On Sept. 5, Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett's wife, Astrid, accompanied by a security guard, answered the doorbell at the couple's Omaha, Neb., home, according to police there. They encountered a man dressed in black with camouflage paint on his face who tried to force his way in. The guard managed to wrestle a gun away from the intruder while Mrs. Buffett called 911. The intruder fled, and the gun turned out to be fake, according to Omaha police. No arrests have been made. Mr. Buffett wouldn't comment for this story.

Security experts emphasize that preventive steps can be taken without resorting to extreme measures, such as obtaining firearms without proper licensing and training. Such actions can raise legal problems for people wanting to protect their homes and families, as with Harry Maxwell Rady, the son of banker Ernest Rady.

The younger Mr. Rady, 40, pleaded guilty to illegally receiving AK-47s and other semi-automatic firearms after the robbery to defend his family from potential kidnappers, his attorney, Mr. Grimes, says. Mr. Rady was sentenced on Nov. 2 to 10 months of home confinement and three years' probation. He also was fined $75,000 for violating federal gun laws.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Wave of Home Invasions Puts the Wealthy on Alert

Security experts emphasize that preventive steps can be taken without resorting to extreme measures, such as obtaining firearms without proper licensing and training. Such actions can raise legal problems for people wanting to protect their homes and families, as with Harry Maxwell Rady, the son of banker Ernest Rady.

The younger Mr. Rady, 40, pleaded guilty to illegally receiving AK-47s and other semi-automatic firearms after the robbery to defend his family from potential kidnappers, his attorney, Mr. Grimes, says. Mr. Rady was sentenced on Nov. 2 to 10 months of home confinement and three years' probation. He also was fined $75,000 for violating federal gun laws.[/QUOTE]

It is incredible to me that Mr. Rady did not just get some defencive firearms class's and purchase firearms over the counter at a reputable gun store. I meen with all that money i could think of a few nice things to buy....
    I also wonder what more there is to the story. Also what state they were in. Maby the poor guy did try and buy legaly but was in a stupid state (read newyork kalifornia ect...)
    Again folks place your safty in someone elses hands...ignore the man behind the curtain...
    -A

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]The impact on victims is profound. When Mr. Rady, the 70-year-old Wachovia Co. director and principal shareholder, his wife Evelyn, 66, and their housekeeper were assaulted by a Taser-wielding intruder in their La Jolla, Calif., home in February, "it was a life-changing event for the family," says their attorney, Robert L. Grimes. Since the robbery, members of the extended Rady family have hired personal armed bodyguards and installed elaborate home-security systems, the attorney says.

According to San Diego police, Mr. Rady was stunned with the Taser, bound with duct tape, and cut with a sharp object as the intruder tried to force the couple to produce cash and valuables. The robber, who is still at large, escaped with less than $100, police and Mr. Grimes say.
    When I read this in the WSJ a few weeks ago, this particular paragraph stuck out in my mind. I remember chuckling to myself thinking "A taser? Do you know what would happen to someone who invaded my home with a taser??"

Frankly, I think it's a shame that the old man was tased and assaulted, but utterly, utterly stoooopid for someone in his position not to have bodyguards or at least some adequate security around the home. This guy's the director and principal shareholder of one of the largest banks in the nation- it's not like he can't afford it.

As for the younger Mr. Rady and his illegally obtaining an AK- Dude, they're available. You just have to buy one like everyone else.

Oh well, at least he and his family wised up- it's a shame that someone had to get hurt first though.

Slim
    Last edited by Slim Pickens; November 29th, 2007 at 03:43 PM.
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

(Allegheny County)

yea you got to wonder about the taser thing.....
    I'm also glad no one got killed or seriously hurt. That horrible feeling of immunity and safety can be almost like an invite. Glad this article is raising awareness about the dangers of home invasion. What happened to that woman and her children is absolutely horrible. My prayers go out to the family. I feel like this is just one more case of why we need to take care of ourselves and encourage our loved ones to be able to defend themselves. (Also not acquire firearms in ways that will bring the authorities knocking.)
    Wishing security to all of you and yours.
    -A
    PS If i happen to hit the lottery this time (i know its only a matter of time then i will not be hiring security guards. Why hire strangers when you got family that would love to come live in a big ol house full of guns...

(Philadelphia County)

If home invaders are targeting the wealthly, lucky for me I have little to fear.

For the bodyguards, I know a guy who has bodyguards. His wife hooked up with one of them and the bodyguard put several slugs into him. He lived. He doesn't rely on bodyguards anymore.
    Last edited by Philadelphia; November 29th, 2007 at 05:53 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

What I want to know is how someone with that type of wealth could be so stupid? The man could have full-auto uzis hidden in every room and an M16 to boot without seriously denting his wallet. I guess he may not have wanted his name on the record owning firearms for political reasons but even that's thin. It's likely he was just lazy.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    If home invaders are targeting the wealthly, lucky for me I have little to fear.

For the bodyguards, I know a guy who has bodyguards. His wife hooked up with one of them and the bodyguard put several slugs into him. He lived. He doesn't rely on bodyguards anymore.
    And that's why you don't go searching for Executive Protection on Craigslist...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]
    The younger Mr. Rady, 40, pleaded guilty to illegally receiving AK-47s and other semi-automatic firearms after the robbery to defend his family from potential kidnappers, his attorney, Mr. Grimes, says. Mr. Rady was sentenced on Nov. 2 to 10 months of home confinement and three years' probation. He also was fined $75,000 for violating federal gun laws.
    Theres a real good chance he had obtained a full auto illegally along with other guns. But anytime the media can use the word "AK-47", all other info is just fluff. Anti-101 says "AK-47" trumps "full auto" in the news world.

PS.. being confined in a mansion is one of my biggest nightmares.

(Cambria County)

My Grandmother who is very liberal lived in a remote area. She always had the family shotgun with in reach, after myGrandfather died. One night after 1am, she heard some noise at the front door, she grabed the old 1897 and confronted the would be intruder and he high tailed it out of there. When my Dad heard the story he rushed down and actually gave her grief for having the shotgun loaded. He gave her a huge lecture about how she might shoot herself and then he unloaded the gun and left. When she heard the door sut she reloaded the Winchester!! You go Grandma!!! Even thou she is very liberal she understands the value of being armed.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    And that's why you don't go searching for Executive Protection on Craigslist...
    Didn't happen in what I'd exactly call a first world country. I don't know how he vetted the guys. Wasn't quite what I'd call executive security; more like small private army to keep the bad guys out.

He was Army in 'nam doing some sort of military security work, when he retired from Army became a security consultant, and knew his way around a gunfight. I think that's the only reason he survived the attack. The attack happened about two years ago and as far as I know he's recovered completely from the wounds he received. He's still overseas.

Love is blind as they say. His wife did end up in prison.

Anyway, don't rely completely on bodyguards.

And I'd agree that Craig's list isn't the place to recruit from. ;-)
    Last edited by Philadelphia; November 30th, 2007 at 11:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast