Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default AR sight questions

1. I've notice people who have Eotech's mounted on their AR's typically have them sitting more towards the front of the rifle than towards the rear. What's the reasoning behind this?

2. What are some recommendations when configuring co-witnessing with a Eotech and BUIS? I have a LMT and the standard fixed AR front sight with the Eotech "center dot" at the top of the front sight post when viewed through my BUIS sight picture. If I don't want to look through my BUIS I move my cheek weld slightly higher.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: AR sight questions

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    1. I've notice people who have Eotech's mounted on their AR's typically have them sitting more towards the front of the rifle than towards the rear. What's the reasoning behind this?
    It increases FoV.

2. What are some recommendations when configuring co-witnessing with a Eotech and BUIS? I have a LMT and the standard fixed AR front sight with the Eotech "center dot" at the top of the front sight post when viewed through my BUIS sight picture.
    That is essentially a co-witness arrangement between the reflex optic and iron sights.

If I don't want to look through my BUIS I move my cheek weld slightly higher.
    That's all there is to it. However, that's why I prefer a folding BUIS over a fixed. I don't like to adjust my cheekweld and "look over" the BUIS.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    It increases FoV.

Not sure I understand "which" FoV your referring to. Do you mean around or past the Eotech?

One thing I noticed is that the reticule quickly increases in size as you move the holosight towards the front on the rifle and away from your eye. I would think you would prefer it to be smaller and take up less room inside the window of the sight. But maybe I'm thinking this backwards when reviewing your statement of FoV. In other words, don't use the sight as a view to the world, you should only be using the reticule and view the world outside the holosight. Tony, is this your thinking?

I'm semi-surprised no one else replied to this thread.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Lawrence County)

Because Tony covered it all.

Field of view would be around the Eotech. You shoot these with both eyes open, so you want to mount the gun and be able to just look for targets/threats. If the optic is closer, yes you see more through the window, but the casing takes up more of your peripheral view. Much faster that way.

Even though the retical appears to change size...it really doesn't. I just fills up more of the window. The center dot is still about 1 MOA.

Lycandidn'twanttoberedundantthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Not sure I understand "which" FoV your referring to. Do you mean around or past the Eotech?
    Peripheral FoV.

In other words, don't use the sight as a view to the world, you should only be using the reticule and view the world outside the holosight. Tony, is this your thinking?
    Right.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks gentlemen!

The real advantage for "me" with the Eotech is that I'm left handed and right eye dominant. This "tool" allows me, for the first time, to keep both eyes open and quickly and accurately engage a target.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt