Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Paranoid?

(Delaware County)

Default Am I Paranoid?

This evening, after dropping my girlfriend off at the airport to fly back to the south-west, I stopped at a local gun store up my way to find a new gun belt.

After making my decision, and while the cashier was ringing me up (I bought a DeSantis leather belt, by the way), I looked down the counters and saw another employee showing a customer a pistol.

Now, I had heard this customer talking to the employee earlier, and he sounded like he really knew his stuff. The discussion between the two of them was much more knowledgable than if the guy were talking to a potential new gun owner, if you know what I mean.

Which is why I was surprised to find the barrel of the pistol the customer was presently fondling to be unwittingly pointed directly at my face.

My heart skipped a beat, and my left hand twitched in the general direction of my hip. Rational thought kicked in, and I thought of the advanced conversation they'd been having - also, I knew I was in a gun store, where unloaded guns are handled regularly - and I had no reason to believe that the gun was actually capable of firing at that moment.

Still, though. There was a pretty serious adrenaline dump, and I kind of feel an aftershock of it by typing this out. After a couple seconds, when I was sure that I wasn't going to say something stupid and rude, I walked over and got his attention.

In front of the clerk, I said, "Hey, listen, I know you sound like you know what you're talking about, but when I looked over and saw that gun barrel pointed at my head, I got a little concerned. First rules of gun ownership, man."

He nodded and apologized, but the clerk said nothing. They went back to their conversation when I walked away.

Did I over-react? Was I being silly? Should I have kept my mouth shut?
    Junior

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Am I Paranoid?

I don't know that it required a massive adrenaline dump, but good for you for saying something. Some people just don't pay attention to what they're doing.

(Lehigh County)

You did okay. It's easy to get complacent, especially in certain environments like a gun store. You were correct and polite. If someone approached me under those circumstances, I'd apologize.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    I don't know that it required a massive adrenaline dump, but good for you for saying something. Some people just don't pay attention to what they're doing.
    Not massive, not quite that severe. Just serious enough for me to get a flush of warm down to my fingertips and make my chest tighten up a bit. Part of the reason I think I didn't let it shake me is because you're right, some people just don't think.

Although, that can still get someone shot...
    Junior

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    My heart skipped a beat, and my left hand twitched in the general direction of my hip. Rational thought kicked in, and I thought of the advanced conversation they'd been having - also, I knew I was in a gun store, where unloaded guns are handled regularly - and I had no reason to believe that the gun was actually capable of firing at that moment.
    Getting unintentionally swept by the muzzle of a firearm is always a nerve-wracking experience, but my first instinct to such an event has never been to go for my own gun.

Though a dangerous situation it's pretty obvious that it's not an act of aggression, and the instinctual reaction should be to quickly move clear of the muzzle or if in close enough physical proximity to take control and deflect the gun to a safer direction.

There is no excuse for sweeping anyone, but if your first reaction to such a thing is to start shooting I don't want to ever share a range with you.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    There is no excuse for sweeping anyone, but if your first reaction to such a thing is to start shooting I don't want to ever share a range with you.
    Well, that's blowing it way out of proportion. It's not like my whole arm moved towards my gun, and my first reaction most certainly was not to "start shooting" - that's just a silly overstatement. We're talking about a little muscle twitch in my hand that no one would have seen unless they'd been looking directly at my arm, if you know what I mean.
    Junior

(Indiana County)

Yes, you are (paranoid), and yes, the other guy is an idiot, and yes you were perfectly justified in saying something.

(Allegheny County)

This evening, after dropping my girlfriend off at the airport to fly back to the south-west, I stopped at a local gun store up my way to find a new gun belt.

After making my decision, and while the cashier was ringing me up (I bought a DeSantis leather belt, by the way), I looked down the counters and saw another employee showing a customer a pistol.

Now, I had heard this customer talking to the employee earlier, and he sounded like he really knew his stuff. The discussion between the two of them was much more knowledgable than if the guy were talking to a potential new gun owner, if you know what I mean.

Which is why I was surprised to find the barrel of the pistol the customer was presently fondling to be unwittingly pointed directly at my face.

Still, though. There was a pretty serious adrenaline dump, and I kind of feel an aftershock of it by typing this out. After a couple seconds, when I was sure that I wasn't going to say something stupid and rude, I walked over and got his attention.

In front of the clerk, I said, "Hey, listen, I know you sound like you know what you're talking about, but when I looked over and saw that gun barrel pointed at my head, I got a little concerned. First rules of gun ownership, man."

He nodded and apologized, but the clerk said nothing. They went back to their conversation when I walked away.

Did I over-react? Was I being silly? Should I have kept my mouth shut?

Listen pal, your avatar is currently pointed in the general direction of my Johnson, and it's a bit concerning...

Emptywalksawaymag
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Well, that's blowing it way out of proportion. It's not like my whole arm moved towards my gun, and my first reaction most certainly was not to "start shooting" - that's just a silly overstatement. We're talking about a little muscle twitch in my hand that no one would have seen unless they'd been looking directly at my arm, if you know what I mean.

also, I knew I was in a gun store, where unloaded guns are handled regularly - and I had no reason to believe that the gun was actually capable of firing at that moment.

No, you are not paranoid at all. You handled yourself perfectly IMO.

Personally, when I go into a gun shop I am on full guard at all times. This to me is one of the single greatest risk situations we can put ourselves into. Gun shops sell, service and buy guns. All sorts of random people are there and many/most of them have little to no knowledge of firearm respect/operation/etiquette.

As far as his disrespect to you goes. Is it really that hard to look around before pointing? How difficult is it really?....

In similar situations I have had the exact same almost involuntary reaction. Though I have never had to draw the fact that I was poised to protect myself only goes to affirm the fact that my instincts are good. Take your impulse as a compliment to preserving yourself.

(Pike County)

No, you were not paranoid and did everything right. Thought I liked the fact that clerk apologized. I hope he learned something from you today.
    Je suis déplorable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast