Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Odd .30 cal bullet

A guy at work showed me this bullet. It's loaded in a Remington 30-06 case. He wanted to find out what it was. It's obviously some type of hollow point. The top 1/4" of it is hollow, and the tip has some sort of crimp on it.

He got them from his grandfather, who is deceased. They may be reloads.

Seems to me that it wouldn't be a very effective hollow point if it's only the jacket that's hollow, the lead inside it is flat. Seems like it would be want to peel the jacket off the instead of expanding the lead.

I thought it was unsual, so I took a pic for show-n-tell.

www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Odd .30 cal bullet

Jacketed hollow point rifle bullets have an empty cavity above the lead core. I don't know if they are all that way, but here is a link to the sierra web site showing a cross sectional view of their Match King hollow point bullet.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.c...ifle&brandID=1

The way this tip is crimped leads me to believe that it might be a home made bullet.
    (Yes, you can swage your own jacketed bullets, but the equipment cost is extremely high).

(Jefferson County)

Even some factory load HP's turn out that way if the copper jacketing wasn't annealed properly before hitting the ogive die. Copper and brass will fold if hardened, if it is anneal - it will compress and flow.

(Tioga County)

It looks like a Sierra 165 gr Gameking HP. I know that they use to have a slight crimp at the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Jacketed hollow point rifle bullets have an empty cavity above the lead core. I don't know if they are all that way, but here is a link to the sierra web site showing a cross sectional view of their Match King hollow point bullet.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.c...ifle&brandID=1

The way this tip is crimped leads me to believe that it might be a home made bullet.
    (Yes, you can swage your own jacketed bullets, but the equipment cost is extremely high).
    The hollow point in the Matchking is NOT for hunting. It is not made to expand. It simply aids in the bullet's accuracy or BC.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    It looks like a Sierra 165 gr Gameking HP. I know that they use to have a slight crimp at the nose.
    i concur. use them myself

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsb889 View Post
    The hollow point in the Matchking is NOT for hunting. It is not made to expand. It simply aids in the bullet's accuracy or BC.
    I'd like to know how a hole in the front of the bullet helps it's ballistic coefficient. Seems to me that if the crimp weren't done exactly uniform every time, it would be detrimental to accuracy.

Told the guy it doesn't really matter if he uses hollow-points for deer or not, since he'll probably miss anyway!

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    i concur. use them myself
    Same here, they make nice reloads.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    I'd like to know how a hole in the front of the bullet helps it's ballistic coefficient. Seems to me that if the crimp weren't done exactly uniform every time, it would be detrimental to accuracy.

Told the guy it doesn't really matter if he uses hollow-points for deer or not, since he'll probably miss anyway!

Vince
    Not a clue how it helps, just remember hearing that it wasn't made for game or expansion. I'll see if I can find the article again. I was wondering how a hollow-point is supposed to help as well. Maybe make it longer and reduce drag?

Is the crimp normal on any bullets? I've never seen it before either.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsb889 View Post
    Not a clue how it helps, just remember hearing that it wasn't made for game or expansion. I'll see if I can find the article again. I was wondering how a hollow-point is supposed to help as well. Maybe make it longer and reduce drag?

Is the crimp normal on any bullets? I've never seen it before either.
    Hollow points are easier to make cocentric.....so they fly better/more accurately. Any hollow point can be hard or soft in terms of expansion due to jacket thickness. The point quickly fills up with compressed air and acts solid. Not as good as a ballistic tip filler, but close. I don't think any burrs on the iside of the point would matter to airflow, but they would hurt cocentricity a bit.....

SMK actually make very nice holes in deer. Sierra doesn't want you to know that since they have a Game King line.

Lycanihavethosein130grthrope
    Last edited by Lycanthrope; November 30th, 2007 at 06:14 AM.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast