Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Masterpiece Arms Protector 380 pistol review (Seecamp 380 clone)

Excellent review. Thank you for sharing.

(York County)

Default Re: Masterpiece Arms Protector 380 pistol review (Seecamp 380 clone)

Thank you for the review! Great pictures to add.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Monroe County)

This is an awesome post and it looks to be an even more awesome little gun. Thanks for the info!

This was a VERY well done review! So much so I picked up an MPA Protector yesterday. Thank you for the very thorough job. Anyone have holster and ammo recommendations? Anything that it will/won't feed well? Will seecamp holsters fit this pistol?

Howdy from Texas!

I just picked up a "Protector" and was doing some research and came across this thread. I realize it is about a year old (and I am a newbie) but this of the few reviews I could find by an actual owner. Mine is an earlier serial number, used but minty, but looks identical to the one posted with the execption of the 'Rev B' trigger kit, which adds an improved SS trigger, composite finger extension for the bottom of the mag and a slightly modified mag release that mates up with the new mag extension. To existing owners they sell the kits for $20. I believe the mods are now standard issue.

I tried to contact MPA and ask them a few questions but got voice mail saying that their offices are closed until after the SHOT show in Vegas.

To date I haven't fired it yet. The seller was a restaraunt owner/manager who purchased it for personal protection had only fired half a box through it and then carried it. Not the smartest thing to do in my opinion. MPA recommends 100 rds for initial break in.

I did follow the manual's instruction and broke the gun down and did a little clean up of the old residue and actually applied light gun oil at slide friction points. It does take a bit of pressure (using a punch) to make the slide release move, but when it does everything comes apart quickly and easily. From all 'appearances' this does look like a nice little pocket pistol.

After I take it out and feed it I will post the results.

(York County)

Welcome Starliterancher,
    I would like to hear your report...And also Sharpshooters as well.

I bumped into this thread a little while ago while searching for info on a Seecamp 380 for my father...Ended up finding out about the MPA 380 and for the $ and apparent quality construction, I am not sure why there isn't more interest in these??? I have a LCP so don't really need it, but may have to pick one up just because sometime, if they run well.

Had the opportunity to shoot one at the range. DA Trigger pull was hard and boy does it hurt the hand. I wasn't very accurate with it thru 2 mags. Great sized weapon for CC. All the best with yours!

Well, took it to the woods and fed it some Winchester 95gr WinClean BEB rounds. This gun it tiny, but it barks pretty darn good!

I couldn't wait to try it out so I whipped up a homemade target on a 2 x 12 piece of pine and took it to the woods. I fed it some WinClean (BEB) 95gr . Since I am not in the city limits and in an unicorporated area I can do this, but there are neighbors 40 or so acres away that will hear it so I do keep it limited.

I knew it was a DAO going in but the length of pull was longer than I anticipated. It was fairly easy (compared to others like the Kel-Tec) and smooth, but there is good amount of travel from trigger engage to hammer fall. Just my initial response, with practice it won't concern me.

I set the target up against a tree at 5 yds and gave it a 5 +1 cycle. Even with the 'groove' sight it was very easy to shoot and direct fire and in the accuracy department gets high marks from me. Getting used to the trigger pull and break point action will improve my marks. I really want to take this to the range and just go through a box doing some instinctive point shots because IF I ever do have to use it I will not be taking the time to acquire a sight picture using the groovey sights.

The only negative I experienced was the roughing up of the inside tip my trigger finger. It didn't gouge it or chafe it, more like numbed it. My trigger finger is a bit boney though (tip was nicked by an alternator's cooling blade back in the 70's) and is the first to ache when it's cold. I will have to try it off hand and see what it does to a soft fat finger.
    Either way, I can tell you that the only range this gun was meant to be used at is "close". It is delivering a lot of energy from a small package so more than likely it is not going to be pleasant on either the sending or receiving end.

I set the target at 5 yards, (camera phone washed out my target lines)

[IMG][/IMG]

The circle is 4" for reference. Greatest shot to shot = 3.25"
    [IMG][/IMG]

The 380 did a good job on the wood as well.....

Summary : I am very pleased with the initial performance of the MPA 380. I want to try out some JHP and see how it does. If it is as reliable as it has thus far demonstrated then it is a keeper for sure. The size and accuracy makes this an ideal deep carry or backup gun. At the $245 delivered to my driveway price, hard to beat.

I still want to contact MPA directly and ask them about the recoil springs. I read another reviewer that said the springs need to be changed out every 200 rounds. Not a big deal at $2 ea. and seeing as how you will have them in your hand every time you break it down for a good cleaning. I just want to know if the statement is accurate. If so, then I shall have my 'carry' set of springs that will be fresh and low mileage and my 'practice' springs which I will install when I practice every once in a blue moon.
    Final photo showing the pistol and target :
    Last edited by Starliterancher; January 19th, 2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: add another photo

Did some work on the pocket monster today.
    I got to comparing the origingal trigger vs. the 'REV B' trigger upgrade which is on the pistol and noted that the original trigger, while being shorter, had a much better overall finish.

So, I took it down, removed the Rev B trigger and went over it at some of the rougher edges with a jewelers file and then some emery paper.

Here is photo of the trigger and the areas I focused on. The center arc area was pretty smooth but there were some pretty sharp edges at the very top and very bottom. Not much...but in this little beast little things add up when blowback cycles the trigger forward.

Another thing I did was fashion my own little block of wood to substitue for the mag while taking it down. OEM procedure is to pull slide back and insert the back of the mag into the gap locking it open. This exact width lines the slide up with the slide release pin....so you can press it and remove the slide.
    I only have one mag....got lots of wood.

Put it all back together and it does feel a bit smoother overall. You don't think those extreme points matter, and on larger guns they probably don't. But when this one breaks over your finger is all the way back and wrapped. Then it gets slapped forward in a 'flash'....(couldn't resist). The orignial trigger was short and was eating some finger food from time to time. Not good.
    So they put together a mod for the mag (extension grip) and whipped out a longer trigger. Only I think it was such a 'rush job' to get it out there it didn't get the same TLC the original trigger did. Just my guess.

Now, need to feed some JHP to the pocket monster and see how it does!

Was in LGS last week came across one of these. I really like the way it looked. looked well made. Felt good in my hand. Had some Kel Tec's. but this felt better.

found this thread and like it, except all the pictures from the early posts are gone. wished I could have seen them.

Laid it away. looking forward to shooting it in the future.

thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast