Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Default 18Pa. CSA 1611(c) question. (This will solve a dispute in my home parents home lol)

(c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.
    I know some of you can clear this up for me here. My brother wants to give his handgun to my father and they were on their way to the gun shop when I stopped them and told them they could save themselves the $50 transfer fee by just having my brother gift the handgun to my father. My father and brother said that the gun shop was not allowed because the law says that "you can gift down but not gift up" (eyes bugging out yet?). At any rate I figured you folks could help to clear it up.

I take 1611(c) to mean that not only can my father gift the gun to my brother, but my brother can also gift it to my father. The section says transfers between a parent and child, not transfer from a parent to a child.

Since the section also doesn't say "gift" it says transfer or sell I also take it to mean that my brother can technically sell the gun to my father if he wanted to, and vice versa without an FFL.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 18Pa. CSA 1611(c) question. (This will solve a dispute in my home parents home lo

i would ask them to cite a reference for the idea that you can only "gift down" and not up...or that it has to be a gift at all.

that is certainly not what the statutes say...so, unless some intellectually dishonest judges have created case law to that effect (which is certainly possible), your father and brother are incorrect.
    F*S=k

(Berks County)

Default Re: 18Pa. CSA 1611(c) question. (This will solve a dispute in my home parents home lo

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i would ask them to cite a reference for the idea that you can only "gift down" and not up...or that it has to be a gift at all.

that is certainly not what the statutes say...so, unless some intellectually dishonest judges have created case law to that effect (which is certainly possible), your father and brother are incorrect.
    That is what I thought. The gun shop told them that they could not gift up, only down. The said that it had to be transferred because the gun had to be in my dad's name. They also told me I was wrong when I explained there is not a registry or database so their claim made no sense.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Jefferson County)

The law says "between", not "to". "Between" is both directions of two or more given points. "To" is only one direction.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

^ this
    The gun shop wants to make $20 on two peoples ignorance of the law.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    ^ this
    Meh, the gun shop just wants to make 20 bucks. They're probably the ones ignorant of the law.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Berks County)

Thanks for the responses. It only intensified the argument in this house however lol. I tried to clear it up, I cited the law, but my brother and father are insisting that even though they do not know the law, they are certain the shop knows the law since they have been selling guns for x amount of years. Oh brother, I gave up.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    ^ this
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Meh, the gun shop just wants to make 20 bucks. They're probably the ones ignorant of the law.
    The transfer fee for this particular shop is $50!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    The transfer fee for this particular shop is $50!
    Ask them if they're aware of the laws regarding anal rape. Because that's what's happening to them.

(Snyder County)

What's the name of this particular shop? I want to make sure I put it on my never to buy at list. That is completely absurd that they would charge 50 dollars for a transfer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast