Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Feedback on Personal Defense Solutions 31 State Carry Permit Class

Anyone here ever take this class? Enjoyable experience? Good set up? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Default Re: Feedback on Personal Defense Solutions 31 State Carry Permit Class

Took it about 2 years ago. The course itself was pretty unimpressive. The "classroom" part basically walked through the questions on the quiz that followed on basic self defense. Most of the time was spent taking photos and fingerprints (they had an LEO there to meet Florida's requirements). They herded us through the range where we had to safely fire 3 shots. Left with the completed package (notarized application, fingerprint cards, photos) ready to drop in the mail with a money order.

(Montgomery County)

Hi everyone,

Our upcoming class is this Saturday, Jan. 15th, 2011. For all the information:
    http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net/ccw/CCW01.html

Bruce N. Eimer, Ph.D.
    NRA Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor
    Affiliate Instructor, Defense Training International, Inc.
    Pennsylvania Certified Lethal Weapons Training Instructor
    Utah Concealed Firearms Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    Column Editor for "Concealed Carry Magazine"
    Board Certified, Licensed Clinical Psychologist

President, Personal Defense Solutions, LLC
    PDS, LLC
    Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006
    Tel: 215-938-7283 Fax: 215-947-7860
    Email: dr.eimer@personaldefensesolutions.net
    Company Website: www.PersonalDefenseSolutions.net
    Act 235 Website: www.Act235Testing.com
    Act 120 Website: www.Act120Testing.com
    Founder, www.DefensiveHandguns.com Online Forum

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks Donm. Anyone else take this? Having a difficult time deciding? Any insight would be super appreciated.

(Chester County)

I took it a few months ago.

Pros: It got the job done, took the pictures and finger prints, and filled out all the forms.
    Cons: It's a lot of standing around waiting in line and not all that educational.

It might not be the most exciting day of your life, but if you want the permit(s) I'd recommend going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaTom View Post
    It might not be the most exciting day of your life, but if you want the permit(s) I'd recommend going for it.
    Agreed. You're not going to learn a lot about self defense law (just the very basics), but having already read "In the Gravest Extreme" and other material, that wasn't a priority for me.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaTom View Post
    I took it a few months ago.

Pros: It got the job done, took the pictures and finger prints, and filled out all the forms.
    Cons: It's a lot of standing around waiting in line and not all that educational.

I presume this is the UTAH CCW cousre. If that is correct, fairness to the course presenter demands that one must keep in mind the course content is prescribed by the state of Utah. It requires the presenter to walk through the Utah statute. It is inherently dry stuff. It is not intended to be firearms training, and is not firearms training (which is why the FIRE Institute stopped providing the course).

These courses can be expanded to include comparisons to Pa. law, and enough range time to actually teach something about using a hand gun. That, however, takes more time and costs more, and the great majority of people who want the class are not interested in training: they just want thier "ticket punched" to get the permit as quickly and cheaply as possible.

(Chester County)

I took this class on January 26th 2013. I arrived at 8:45am and was told to wait in my vehicle out back until 9:00am. I pulled around the building only to find the entire parking area full. At 9:00am people starting walking toward the back door were we stood in line for another 15 minutes before they opened the door, once the door was opened maybe 30 people were able to get inside to the warehouse, the rest stood outside for over an hour in 19 degree weather. To make a long story short, they do no cap the class , on their own admission there were 160 people there, I think it was closer to 200. You will spend all day in line in a small cramped space waiting for finger prints, photos, and notary. It was very disorganized. You will receive very little instruction, most of what is talked about is self-serving for Dr Eimer. He pushes his other training, his other websites, the holster that he wants you to buy (for which he admitted he gets a kick back on). If anyone shows the least amount of dissatisfaction Dr Eimer was quick to angry and confronts the customer. One particular customer he yelled at and approached in a threatening manner. The customer handled it great asking him to calm down. Dr Eimer’s wife even thought he was going to hit the customer. I arrived at 8:45 and left at 5:30 with all paper work in hand ready to send in for the FL and Utah permits. Your best bet for FL is to take the NRA basic pistol course then do all the paper work yourself. The staff at Ready Aim Fire was very polite and professional; they only provide the building and range. Dr Eimer did say there were going to get a hall for their next class in Feb. But I would guess it will still be disorganized it was just a mass of people with no lines. I could go on, but you all have the idea. His solution would be to cap this class at 30 and hold it more often.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by karch2001 View Post
    I took this class on January 26th 2013. I arrived at 8:45am and was told to wait in my vehicle out back until 9:00am. . . . snip ...
    Yikes! That's a horse of a different color.

It's surprising that 200 people would line up for that kind of treatment ... or stay!

(Philadelphia County)

I actually attended his class twice. Once for the BHS class & Virginia paper work. The Second time was for the Florida Paper work. The second time he even printed me for my Arizona for free. Both times I got there a little before 9 and waited. The first time [Sept 2012] they opened promptly at 9am. The second time [Oct 2012] they opened at about 9:15. The first time was a lot of waiting in lines. Dr. Eimer attended the first one and talked about products he endorsed and mentioned his book was for sale and he would sign it [for free]. After about 15-20 minutes of that he talked about safety precautions and tips on carrying. I enjoyed this part. Then his other in instructor a cop flat out lied a few times. I ignored this part. I remember the big this Mr. Officer said was "In PA you have to inform the officer your carrying. Also some sh!t about open carrying, How your NR permits say CONCEALED and you have to conceal with it. You can open carry in PA only with a PA LTCF and at some risk". That part actually gave me a head ache and I wanted so bad to raise my hand and correct him. I only hung around because I needed the class. Another cool part was another one of his Instructors was in the Israeli Special Forces and I qualified in front of him.

The Second time I went [Oct 2012] was okay. Got there a little earlier and got closer to the door. Had to listen to people from NJ bitch. One lady even said "I wouldn't get an Arizona, They hand them out like candy. You walk into a gas station in AZ and get one". I laughed thinking, Aren't you here because you can't on from NJ in the first place? After signing in I waited. This time they had two rooms opened up. The class room is very small and some people were sitting on a rolled up mat and ladder. The other room is a hang out for people who just got out of the range with vending machines and stuff. Since I only needed the paper work this time I filled out my app, got finger printed, got my photo and left. This time Dr. Eimer wasn't there. His wife flat out told us "Sorry he's running late. He's probably still at home on the computer. He'll definitely be here later for the Utah class". After I got my stuff done I left.

I did talk with him personally twice and was highly satisfied with class. The first time was right before his second class. I told him I attended his class last month and followed his advice and got Arizona app. I told him I couldn't find any LEO who would be willing to print me. He let me bring in my AZ print cards and had his LEO instructor print me at no additional cost. The second time I asked about how long I had to mail in my Florida app. He said he wasn't sure and to contact them but he thought it was 90 days after I signed in front of a Notary. I emailed FL and they said I have to mail it in before the notary's license stamp expires. I forwarded this to Dr. Eimer and thanked me for letting him know.

All in all both times I enjoyed myself and I would recommend this class to anyone who is interested. I even carry around a business card to give people who ask about NR permits. Also as soon as I save up $150 and Philly gives me my LTCF [this Friday they said], I'll be signing up for his Utah class. Unless I find somebody cheaper
    Last edited by RebelRaider5; January 28th, 2013 at 02:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast