Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Why "NOT" to use a grip plug in your glock!

FYI. Glock left the end of the grip open for a reason. It gives you the ability to stick your thumb up into the grip to make it easier to extract the magazine if required during a malfunction. I know a lot of people who install a plug in the bottom of the grip. If you have your glock handy stick your thumb up into the opening and you can see how much easier it would be to extract the magazine with the extra grip with your thumb. Especially if your wearing gloves. I always thought it was stupid to leave it open, until I figured out why its there. Apparently it was a request by the austrian military.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Why "NOT" to use a grip plug in your glock!

Quote Originally Posted by okinawanfighter View Post
    FYI. Glock left the end of the grip open for a reason. It gives you the ability to stick your thumb up into the grip to make it easier to extract the magazine if required during a malfunction. I know a lot of people who install a plug in the bottom of the grip. If you have your glock handy stick your thumb up into the opening and you can see how much easier it would be to extract the magazine with the extra grip with your thumb. Especially if your wearing gloves. I always thought it was stupid to leave it open, until I figured out why its there. Apparently it was a request by the austrian military.
    True, but doesn't matter. It really is just as easy to grab the base plate from the sides or front and back just like any other gun. My Gen 2 has a cut out in the front too for the same purpose but it was uncomfortable and I hated it so I bought a base plate that filled it in.

(Lancaster County)

I had one, it fell out and was lost. Never bought another one. All my mags are drop free and never had an issue with one jamming. Maybe that was the thought before the glock magazines weren't drop free. I have a real early 15round mag for my G19 that isn't a drop free, and it can be tough to remove when fully loaded, and less so when empty.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I had one, it fell out and was lost. Never bought another one. All my mags are drop free and never had an issue with one jamming. Maybe that was the thought before the glock magazines weren't drop free. I have a real early 15round mag for my G19 that isn't a drop free, and it can be tough to remove when fully loaded, and less so when empty.
    This is probably the case. With the construction on drop-free mags it's really a non-issue.

(Montgomery County)

That is interesting to learn. I installed that plug.. It was only a couple bucks and it just looked nicer without the hole there.

I have a newer G21SF, and when the mag is full, it is a little difficult to remove the mag.

However, I don't think my sausage fingers are fitting in that hole to help. Using the mag base works fine so far.

(Snyder County)

Austrian military should have asked for Pearce grip extensions too.
    When I simulate a FTE blockage I haven't had a problem when using the grip plug and extensions although I haven't tried it yet with gloves.

(Montgomery County)

It's actually also there to allow water to escape. This was specifically mentioned at the armorer's class.

So yeah, don't plug up your Glocks.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    True, but doesn't matter. It really is just as easy to grab the base plate from the sides or front and back just like any other gun.
    having done quite a few malfunction clearance drills where the malfunction was set up to make the mag hard to remove, i completely disagree...especially when talking about doing one-handed clearances--and when your fingers are sweaty/bloody/wet.

that is an advantage glock has over many other guns. you can, by taking advantage of the space in the back of the mag, get much better purchase on it than you can with many other guns...making one-handed (and even two-handed) malfunction clearances more reliable.

(btw, that space is also open so that water--and other crap--that gets into the trigger connector area of the glock has a way out. plugging it interferes with that. and not plugging it doesn't actually hurt anything.)

but, to each his own.
    F*S=k

Just take a flashlight and take a peek at the open area on the Glock grip. You can see the slot there to let water, brass shavings, dirt and etc escape. I can see how it may be useful for mag removal also.

(Centre County)

To make clearing a stuck mag easier, I use G22 mags in my G23. Whole lotta' real estate to grab on to. YMMV.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast