Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .22 magnum.

Default .22 magnum.

opinions on using it as a carry option.

the mafia used .22 lr as a mainstay tool, just wondering what other folks thought about it as a carry weapon. 2"barrel, eight shot. 40 grn MAXI-MAG. 2,000 FPS out of the muzzle. the drawback is the weight of the projectile.

opinion?
    ...the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

(Venango County)

Default Re: .22 magnum.

It is a very difficult choice.

Many people won't trust anything less than .380 for a carry weapon. Personally, I carry .40, and .45. Yes, both. At the same time.

The .22 mag is sufficient to stop a threat, but shot placement is key. In the same sense that you could take down larger game, such as a deer with that round. However, without precise shots, it won't be enough to not cause the animal to suffer.

Do you feel comfortable carrying something along those lines? Personally, I wouldn't. But it is your choice.

My concerns are a "missed shot" one that didn't hit a vital area, may not cause an attacker to stop. My pistol is there for defense. I hope I don't ever have to use it for that. But, if I do. I am confident in my abilities, and my round(s) of choice.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Monroe County)

Woodstock , in 1906 the US Army did a little test and they realized that as little as 1 foot pound of energy is sufficient to kill a normal size male, now fast forward to now- the .22 mag is dishing out well over 200 ft. lbs of energy from a rifle and quite a bit less from a handgun, it will kill an attacker but like Connal said shot placement will be the key.

The .22 mag is a sweet round , much liked by senior citizens and people with severe arthritis.

However for day to day carry a larger round is preferred , if you are going to carry a gun for personal defense carry a serious gun, carry the smaller guns as back up or for deep concealment , Church , weddings, funerals the workplace etc.

(Northampton County)

From a 2 inch barrel you will not be getting 2000 fps or the energy that comes with that. Go to mouseguns.com and look at the new and tiny guns in 380.
    My of my students are very happy with the Ruger LCP
    Teaching people how to shoot safely and accurately for 54 years. www.gunskills.com

IF............I could get 6 shots off very quickly and hit a target the size of my fist with all six shots, I would think about using the .22 Mag for defence. Other wise, a .327 Federal is a small as I like. The .22 Mag is better than nothing but very far from good.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    the mafia used .22 lr as a mainstay tool, just wondering what other folks thought about it as a carry weapon.
    There is a difference in sticking a barrel on the back of someone’s head and pulling the trigger vs. hoping it has enough stopping power to take down an armed moving target 15 feet away from you.

(Monroe County)

It's a good choice if:

1) You're in the Mafia
    2) It's the only gun you have
    3) You can get lots of "hits" in vital areas ASAP
    4) You wanted a 5.7 but can't afford it
    5) Low recoil compared to "combat" calibers

On the other hand:

1) The Mafia doesn't exist. I've already said too much!
    2) Ammo cost is a lot compared to "combat" calibers
    3) Trauma per shot compared to "combat" calibers

Incapacitating an attacker is accomplished in a few ways:

1) Destroying the central nervous systems ability to send
    signals to the body
    a) brain trauma
    b) spinal trauma
    c) other nervous tissue trauma

2) Creating enough trauma to the body that it, the body, is
    unable to function

a) blood loss
    b) organ trauma
    c) skeletal muscular trauma

3) Showing the attacker nude pictures of Bea Arthur
    (again, I've said too much)

These things need to take place as soon as possible. Shot placement is key, as was said earlier. But, excluding an occular window shot, the more lead put into an attacker, the more trauma will take place to his body. Don't forget to take into account how long it takes to reload your firearm. Any gun is better than nothing. Everyone will agree with that.

2"barrel, eight shot. 40 grn MAXI-MAG. 2,000 FPS out of the muzzle.

You are actually getting about 1000 fps from a 22 mag in a 2" barrel. That gives you about 88 ft/lbs of energy vs a 25 auto with about 80. That vs 200 ft/lbs of energy and a lot more penetration from a decent 38 spl load in the same size package. You make your choice.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    opinions on using it as a carry option.

the mafia used .22 lr as a mainstay tool, just wondering what other folks thought about it as a carry weapon. 2"barrel, eight shot. 40 grn MAXI-MAG. 2,000 FPS out of the muzzle. the drawback is the weight of the projectile.

opinion?
    They also used used an ice pick.

I would not consider an ice pick or a .22 Mag revolver as primary carry weapon. I would consider it for BUG; something to used (1) when all else fails, (2) when things get up close and nasty, & (3) when it can be used a "nasal gun."
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    2"barrel, eight shot. 40 grn MAXI-MAG. 2,000 FPS out of the muzzle.

You are actually getting about 1000 fps from a 22 mag in a 2" barrel. That gives you about 88 ft/lbs of energy vs a 25 auto with about 80. That vs 200 ft/lbs of energy and a lot more penetration from a decent 38 spl load in the same size package. You make your choice.
    This is an excellent point, the 22 mag is a viable caliber for many things but personal dense isn't one of them.

The 8 rounds instead of 5 or 6 for a .38 or .357 isn't as helpful as it might seem at first blush. Lets say you are comparing a 5 shot J frame .38 and comparing it to an 8 shot ,22 mag. You are confronted with 2 pistol armed assailants. After you give up your wallet they argue about witnesses, and you realize it is fight or die time. Both guns are holstered on your hip. You draw and fire, both guns are equal to this point, lets say it takes 1.5 seconds to the first shot. You are low and gut shoot the nearer assailant, you swing to pick up the 2nd attacker before he can shoot you. You fire again virtual tie, perhpas .1 sec advantage to the .22 as recoil is lighter so at about 1.75 sec into the fight you have shot at both attackers. Now what? Your first assailant is gut sot, can he fight back? Perhaps, even with a .38+P a marginal hit isn't likely to be a one shot stop. However, there will be a much larger wound channel with a .38+P and you will get good penetration even if you have hit him in the belt, for example. Not so much with the .22 mag. After going through that belt you .22 is pretty damn slow and not going to penetrate very far. So back to the 2nd perp. You have shot him, you do it again, because neither is going to give an instant knock down. So at about 2.0 sec into the fight you have shot 3 shots and hit the two perps with all three. Are you safe? Not if the first perp is still on his feet and feisty. He has now had 2 secs to shoot you, how safe is that? Your only hope is that your first shot actually took the fight out of him. This is where the bigger more powerful bullet helps. If he hasn't shot you yet he may not, but you aren't taking any chances and put a finisher in his chest. Now both perps are hit twice and at about 2.5 secs you are done (or shot). My purpose here is to examine how useful more small rounds are compared to fewer more powerful rounds. It is all over in 4 shots and 2.5 secs. Which caliber would you prefer? I'm sticking to my .38+P, but that is just me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast