Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question Lowers That are registered as pistols?

During the "hay day" I picked up 3 stripped lowers that I was told needed to be regisitered as pistols. I did this and have the white forms in my file.
    Can I use these lowers to build an SBR type gun?
    I am pretty sure I can build a 16"/+ gun but at my club meeting this evening some folks told my that if registered as a pistol you can build it the way you want to.
    If so why would not most folks just register a lower as a pistol and for go the stamp for an SBR?
    I did search but most threads were more about folks not standing up to the FFLs .
    TIA.
    BW

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Lowers That are registered as pistols?

you can build a rifle out of a pistol but cannot build a pistol out of a rifle. i dont think that it really matters what state forms were done at time of purchase. im pretty sure that atf considers a virgin receiver to be not rifle and not a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    you can build a rifle out of a pistol but cannot build a pistol out of a rifle. i dont think that it really matters what state forms were done at time of purchase. im pretty sure that atf considers a virgin receiver to be not rifle and not a pistol.
    Bimm, I am not clear on your answer. I know I can build a rifle from a pistol and a Rifle cannot be converted into a SBR/Pistol (lacking Docs).
    Can I build a SBR from a pistol lower without the Stamp?

(Beaver County)

No. A registered pistol lower isn't legally allowed to have a buttstock or a vertical foregrip. If you want it to be an SBR, you have to go through the hoops.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Whiskey View Post
    Can I build a SBR from a pistol lower without the Stamp?
    no. an sbr always requires paperwork no mater how you build it.

i think that when they said that you can build it anyway you want they maent that you can build a pistol or a rifle but not an sbr.

(Jefferson County)

Those "registered pistol receivers" can be made legally in to a pistol, rifle, or SBR(if you properly go through NFA channels). As bare virgin receivers they are just that - receivers. Until a shoulder stock is attached to it, it can be anything. Once a shoulder stock is attached to it, it can only be a long gun or a legally built SBR there after.

SBR's can only be built after obtaining a NFA tax stamp. Possessing the components to build an SBR before the approval can in some circumstances be construed to be "constructive possession", which can net you a federal felony just as if you had assembled it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Whiskey View Post
    During the "hay day" I picked up 3 stripped lowers that I was told needed to be regisitered as pistols. I did this and have the white forms in my file.
    Can I use these lowers to build an SBR type gun?
    I am pretty sure I can build a 16"/+ gun but at my club meeting this evening some folks told my that if registered as a pistol you can build it the way you want to.
    If so why would not most folks just register a lower as a pistol and for go the stamp for an SBR?
    I did search but most threads were more about folks not standing up to the FFLs . TIA. BW
    State Paperwork not withstanding , there is NO legal "REGISTRATION" of Handguns in Pennsylvania ( in fact it is prohibited by statute ).

For instance: you can move to PA from another place and any handguns you bring with you are only known about by you.

What matters is FEDERAL Law (which changed a while back ).

Currently when you buy a stripped lower from an FFL it MUST be reported on the federal Form 4473 as "OTHER "

This means you can build it into a rifle , pistol, or SBR (with Federal paperwork of course).

If you had the FFL complete the PA state form and list them as pistols you
    can also make them into complete pistols , rifles , OR SBRs.

Just don't go changing them back and forth later on because it can get confusing.