Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't decide on next purchase....help!

I currently am torn between 2 different guns for my next purchase. They are two different calibers, and do totally different things, but I think both would be nice additions to the collection.

1.) Henry lever action 22 magnum rifle-I currently don't own anything in 22 mag, but I think it would be a fun (and cheap) platform to shoot, both pistol and rifle. I've also been craving a lever action rifle. I was originally going to get a Kel Tec PMR 30, then the rifle, but the PMR 30 seems to be getting mixed reviews. I've heard nothing but good things about Henry rifles, and 22 mag is a pretty cheap platform for rifle shooting (I've got 22LR covered already).

2.) Sterling Sporter Type 2 9mm carbine -9mm is another cheap platform that I love, and I currently lack a carbine. This thing looks crazy, and I like the high capacity magazines (take note Hi Point!). From what buzz is out there, these things seem to be well thought of, and the price just keeps dropping on them.

-What do you guys think? I enjoy spending time at the rifle range, where I'm sure I would love the Henry rifle for 50-100 yard shooting. I also enjoy plinking and slinging lead at the other ranges, where I'm sure I would love the Sporter Type 2. They are both somewhat comparable in range, although two entirely different kinds of tools. I can't decide....help!
    Last edited by Last Resort; January 11th, 2011 at 11:10 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Can't decide on next purchase....help!

I have never owned either but I have shot my neighbors .22 henry lever action and it was one of the coolest guns to shot so my vote goes for the Henry.

(York County)

My vote is for the Henry. I too have heard great things about it. You gotta love a lever gun, and it doesn't get much cheaper than .22mag. The sterling on the other hand could be fun, but no where near as cheap to shoot as the Henry. Any little ones that you take shooting? Another good reason for the Henry.

Best of Luck.

GB

My daughters are currently too young for the range, but one day they might enjoy the Henry. That's a great point you guys make.

(Chester County)

I vote for the Henry. It is a quality produced lever action. Plus .22 is a lot cheaper than 9mm.

Either or though both will be fun to shoot. Best of luck.

(Cumberland County)

You're comparing guns designed for 2 different purposes. One is designed to be an accurate 4 legged critter dispatcher, the other is (was) designed to be a bullet hose for dispatching 2 legged critters.

Personally, I would go with the Sterling and a medium sized cache of magazines. 9mm will be easier to come by should SHTF (always in the back of my mind when purchasing any gun). You can also reload the 9mm (with cast lead boolits if necessary) in the absence of commercially available ammo.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(York County)

Definitely one day will be looking to get them out into the sport. The advantage of a lever action over a semi-automatic like a 10/22 is the emphasis on fire control. Slows down the pace and puts more emphasis on making each shot count. Just my own personal philosophy....not worth much I know.

GB

I can't believe no one has mentioned this, so I guess I will. .22 mag isn't all that cheap to shoot, it's NOTHING like shooting a .22lr. Lots of people think, "Well, it's just a rimfire, it can't be that expensive to shoot." It usually costs around 0.20 a round to shoot .22 mag, or sometimes a bit more. It's usually at least $10 a box, or a bit more for 50 rounds. You can regularly buy cheap 9mm ammunition for $12-14 a box, so that puts you around .26 a round. So while the 9mm is more expensive to shoot, it's still not like you're comparing .22 lr to 9mm and prices. I mean, for what it costs to shoot .22 mag, you can pretty much be shooting a .17 HMR.

Now in terms of Henry rifles, I love them. They're such nice, fun, light, easy handling rifles. I've never had anything but a ton of fun with them, and killed a LOT of stuff with them. I don't have any experience with the Sterlin Sporter, but it sounds like a fun carbine. I'm not questioning purchasing a Henry rifle, but if you think you're going to shoot it for all that cheap, you're mistaken. For what it costs to shoot a .22 WMR, most peopl would rather buy a nice little bolt action .17 HMR. It outperforms the .22 WMR ballistically (drop and wind drift), and it's something people like to stretch it's legs. I think it's a better killer of small game than the .22 mag, those expanding bullets moving that fast are just devastating.

I think that you'll be happy with either purchase, and have lots of fun. I just want to point out something that you might not have looked at, and that's the price of ammo. You're not going to be shooting the .22 WMR all that much more than you would the 9mm if price is the big reason why. The .22 WMR is for killing stuff, and stretching the .22lr a bit. I wouldn't really consider it a "for paper" or "plinker" caliber, mainly because of the price. Just some things to think about.

(York County)

Tomcat is right, I stand corrected. Haven't looked at the price of .22Mag in a while. Looks like the cheapest I could find in a quick search was around $10 for 50. I guess that makes the choice a little harder.

GB

(Allegheny County)

I dont see what a carbine in 9mm can do that the Henry cant. The lever gun seems to be the way I would go, as the Sterling would still be a plinker, so the cheaper ammo always wins.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast