Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default TCP just keeps getting better and better

so when i first took my TCP to the range last year, i was a little thrilled and a little disappointed. despite that i had seen several objective comparisons find the TCP to be superior to the LCP, i was nervous i had made the wrong selection when i had a few early issues.

It was very hard to rack at first, surprisingly soft recoil, but a few jamming issues. (every 4 or 5 mags... just enough to make me concerned about reliability). well, i kept taking it with me to the range when i went shooting, and at the end of a session i'd pull out the TCP and let a few mags go. well, it just kept getting better. once i went over 250-300 the gun became flawless. never fails to fire, eats target rounds or corbon HPs perfectly every time, still shoots soft, surprisingly accurate out to a reasonale distance. all in all, i would trust my life to this as a BUG, or an easy to carry option when a larger gun can't be carried. i mean, this thing doesn't way anything, even loaded - my underpants can hold the damn thing up for god's sake!

also, it is actually easy to field strip once you figure it out - i can pull the pin without a tool (just fingernail) and the gun comes right apart.

anyway, i do have a question - i assume part of the break in has to do with the springs (there are two, one inside the other) breaking in... causing it to cycle easier, be easier to rack, etc. so the question is, how long till i need to replace these springs? (or should i say, how many rounds). not looking for usual taurus bashers - just someone who actually knows. thanks!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: TCP just keeps getting better and better

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGunGuy View Post
    anyway, i do have a question - i assume part of the break in has to do with the springs (there are two, one inside the other) breaking in... causing it to cycle easier, be easier to rack, etc. so the question is, how long till i need to replace these springs? (or should i say, how many rounds). not looking for usual taurus bashers - just someone who actually knows. thanks!
    I think it's more the frame rails mating to the cuts in the slide, and other moving parts wearing in. The machine marks get worn down, decreasing friction.

Usually, for smaller pistols it's recommended that the recoil springs get replaced every 3000 rounds, sometimes sooner. When in doubt, contact a technician (or 2 or 3) at the company the made the pistol, and ask them what they think.
    Last edited by Suburban; January 11th, 2011 at 02:32 AM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Allegheny County)

Glad yours is working out. My exp with the TCP did not fare well. It broke quite promptly and was dumped immediately.

The LCP that replaced it however gave me about the same experience. Got better the more it was shot. Service intervals on springs vary dep on manufacturers. But I'd imagine on such tiny guns it's shorter than many of the larger guns.

Especially if you are shooting hotter loads.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I'd imagine on such tiny guns it's shorter than many of the larger guns.

Especially if you are shooting hotter loads.
    This would be my line of thinking as well...

The shorter the recoil spring, the more abuse it tends to take over a shorter time frame, as it essentially has to work harder to do the same job that a longer spring does in a full size pistol...

A dual spring style assembly helps, I guess - But still, I would think it would need relatively frequent replacement on such a small pistol.

Might be worth a call/email to the manufacturer to try and confirm suggested replacement intervals?

Regards,

Bones

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    I think it's more the frame rails mating to the cuts in the slide, and other moving parts wearing in. The machine marks get worn down, decreasing friction.

Usually, for smaller pistols it's recommended that the recoil springs get replaced every 3000 rounds, sometimes sooner. When in doubt, contact a technician (or 2 or 3) at the company the made the pistol, and ask them what they think.
    I'm on the same page.
    If I purchased one of these, the first thing I'm doing is giving it a dehorn. I like Taurus and own a number of them, but a few needed some TLC before ever loading a mag.

You may go through a couple of CSR's before you get a spring answer, but be patient, you will get an answer. The good thing about this pistol, it is made to shoot, so you don't have to be afraid of a few range trips.

A lot of Spanish people work in the Taurus CSD. Be polite, too.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    A lot of Spanish people work in the Taurus CSD. Be polite, too.
    That's some weird outsourcing for a Brazilian company to hire customer service people from Spain.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    That's some weird outsourcing for a Brazilian company to hire customer service people from Spain.
    Ain't it, though.