Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Arrow The only EASY rifle project, was your LAST one...

Tactical Solutions .22LR AR Project

So I've had this in mind for a while. With 4 hungry 5.56 AR's, I knew there HAD to be a CHEAPER practice solution (particularly for CQB drills, practicing stance, hold, trigger control, etc.), than even BULK .223 (and Homey DON'T do steel cased .223 - I ain't down wif dat!) can provide.

So I've known about conversions like the Ciener for years, but reviews were always a mixed bag on them. Besides which, if I'm DOING CQB drills, I'd like a LITTLE accuracy for my efforts, rather than have the .22 round come bouncing out my 5.56 bbl.!

So I priced a few of the factory .22LR AR's, like the S&W M&P15-22, and the Colt .22 AR. Both can be had for around $500 - $600 after sales tax, which ain't bad, BUT... I'm one of THOSE people, who always has an extra lower or two laying around anyways - why NOT check into a dedicated .22LR upper? With that in mind, I looked into the offerings that were out there, & at the Tactical Solutions M4-style upper in particular. After MUCH reading & research, I decided by this past summer, that they had the best DEDICATED .22 upper around.

Moreover, I wanted to build as realistic a trainer as possible, vis-a-vis my other AR's (all middys), and their platform seemed ideal. Of course, I was gonna need rails, and optic, AVG, light, sling, and other such goodies, to make it match. And it was about this time, I decided to SPR my POF-415 (future project for later discussion), so I stripped a LOT of the gear off of it, to build this project. Made it a lot cheaper too.

So of my two spare lowers (Colt 6920 and an Aero-Precision), the A-P made the most sense, MAINLY because, it comes with a full hammer. TacSol's do NOT like notched hammers for some reason, which the Colt has, so that settled it for me!

I'd bought this lower NEW, off another board some time ago, for only $200 - WITH the ARF-X stock, no less!!! A Magpul enhanced trigger guard and Ergo grip later, it was good to go!

Addax Tactical in Los Angeles cut me a good deal on an upper, so I ordered it in October. Only problem was, it was backordered... 'til mid-December... D'OHHH! I couldn't complain, because Chris got me a GREAT deal, so my patience was eventually rewarded.

Here's how TacSol's goodies look from the factory...

Chris is an '03 FFL, but being in CA, I was afraid I was going to get stuck with a 10rnd CA-compliant mag. But since it was just passing THROUGH his shop to me, I got a nice Black Dog Machine 26rnd. smoke-colored mag instead - woot-woot!

I had originally bought some MI Carbine 2-piece rails for it, but then I realized, I don't actually OWN another carbine-length AR! It was going to affect the placement of my AVG, light, and optic, which wouldn't be any help for me at ALL, compared to my other AR's. Shortly thereafter, I found some gently-used OmegaX 12.0 FSP rails, which would allow for my sight post to be retained, as well as give me a platform identical to my other rifles on which to mount my gear.

Naturally, this would necessitate removing the delta ring, spring pack, & the sight post/gas block, which is a SNAP, right? I mean, the post/block is for 'decoration' basically on a .22LR - there is NO gas tube, so you punch out the roll pins, and it falls right off, no?

NO.

Tactical Solutions, in its infinite wisdom, decided to Loc-Tite the whole assembly to the bbl. No problem - I don't like the A2/3/4 style sight post ANYWAYS. So I'll take a hammer and KNOCK it off (which is how I discovered the Loc-Tite).

OK... BAD move on MY part, but there's nothing in the instructions, nor anything I've ever read on-line, about the FREEPIN' sight post/block, being LOC-TITED on the ^&%%$&%^$&%$ barrel!!! So I'm posting it HERE, for the WHOLE WORLD TO SEE - your sight post/block on a TacSol upper is LOC-TITED ON - HANDLE WITH CARE.

That's because, when you hammer it off (and the Delta ring is installed by a 900lb gorilla, too! Be SURE to have a vice and block, in order to loosen/remove it!!!), THIS is what happens to the barrel, inside its chamber sleeve...

It ROTATES... and the bolt WON'T close... D'OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Ok... do I send it back to Addax, or do I send it back to Tac-Sol? I actually call my buddy, Kevin Johnson - of Johnson Tactical, LLC here in Monroeville (just east of me here in da' 'BURGH) - and ask him what HE thinks? He says, "Bring it by, and I'll see what I can do."

So I run it out to him just hours before Christmas, basically, and over his Christmas/New Year's holiday no less, does that voodoo, that he do, so well upon it. I finally found time to go out and pick it up this morning (before the Blizzard of Aught-11 hits!), and not only has he UN-screwed it up for me, he does it for cheaper than I probably could have shipped and insured it!!! He's test-fired it, smoothed out where I roughed it up, reassembled it with my "ARMS" front sight and DD rails installed! If you're anywhere NEAR the 'BURGH, and need a QUALITY AR 'smitty, you owe it to YOURSELF, to give Kevin a call!

Now speaking of my "ARMS" sight, here it is.

A VERY slick little piece of work, the B-41 Shilouette, no? Look closer...

Because confession is good for the soul, I must confess - it's NOT an ARMS B-41. It's... Airsoft.

Because I live near Amped Airsoft here in the South Hills, I have gotten Magpul ladders, and some other genuine Magpul gear there. They carry the REAL deal, in addition to Magpul's Airsoft line, and can order anything else I need. I was rather impressed with the quality of some of the Airsoft replica stuff, and asked how much for that sight. $30!

Hmmm... $153.50 for the REAL deal, or $30 for an Airsoft replica, that's going on a .22LR anyways? NOT a tough choice there! And YES - I'm the FIRST to bi-otch about cheap, Airsoft knockoff stuff, BUT - not only does this work, it's also the right weight, and what the heck do I need a GAS BLOCK on a .22LR anyways?!?! Here's the ONE TIME, you can legitimately cut a corner, I think, AND get away with it. FYI, to anyone else considering a realistic .22 Trainer.

So here's my FUNCTIONAL upper, back home this morning.

Time to fold flap 'A', into slot 'B'!

Everything fits, test cycles, and dry fires just fine. Now time to install the goodies.

From left to right - TacticalLink 2pt. sling, Trijicon RX30-23, Magpul MBUS rear sight & DD rail mount QD sling swivel mount (also purchased from Addax Tactical), Black Dog Machine 26 rnd. BLK mag (got three of these from Gunkings.com - GREAT price, in-stock, and FAST shipping! First time I ever used them, and they were great!), G&R Tactical closeout special - PentagonLight X2 Xenon (not a terribly bright light, but 1) it was cheap, and 2) the weight is 'correct.' This is a TRAINER, not a 'response rifle' anyways!) in a Vltor Scout mount, & Magpul rail ladders (Amped Airsoft, again). NOT pictured - my Magpul AVG.

SOME assembly later, and... VOILA!

NOT too shabby, huh?

I haven't WEIGHED it yet, but it seems comparable to my BCM middy, for reference. Can't wait to get out and shoot it a bit, and especially work on trigger control with this.

And because I CAN'T resist, here's a family pic.

Say, what's that Listerine doing there?!?!

JUST so I don't miss anyone in this project - which turned out to be a MUCH bigger headache than I'd planned for (I've BUILT my own 5.56 AR's, but this is a VERY different cat, for those of you thinking of doing the same!!!) - special thanks to (in alphabetical order);

- Addax Tactical
    - Amped Airsoft (Castle Shannon, PA)
    - G&R Tactical
    - Gunkings.com
    - Johnson Tactical, LLC (Kevin Johnson - AR Wizard!), Monroeville, PA

Whew... I'm tired now. This only took 5 mos., from start to finish!

(York County)

Default Re: The only EASY rifle project, was your LAST one...

Now you just need a Black Dog 50 rd drum mag and you'll be set!

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: The only EASY rifle project, was your LAST one...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew17019 View Post
    Now you just need a Black Dog 50 rd drum mag and you'll be set!
    Don't TEMPT me!!!

(Allegheny County)

Somewhere along the line you were going to make a point about saving money by not shooting 5.56mm.................I must have missed it after reading about all the work, parts and gear you paid for..LOL

Seriously, very nice final product!

Brian

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: The only EASY rifle project, was your LAST one...

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic87 View Post
    Somewhere along the line you were going to make a point about saving money by not shooting 5.56mm.................I must have missed it after reading about all the work, parts and gear you paid for..LOL

Seriously, very nice final product!

Brian
    Well, Kevin did a great job of keeping it from being any MORE un-affordable, but I figure after blowing about 18k of .22 through it, it'll have paid for itself!

With 7" of snow on the ground, and more forecast this week, I'm just fondling the finish off it for the time being.

(Northampton County)

I sorta regret buying an off the shelf .22 upper. Mine came with a 16" barrel and 1/16 twist. As do most. This creates a couple problems. First, the barrel is long enough that it keeps normal/HV ammo supersonic. And my upper only runs on HV ammo. Second, the barrel twist is too slow to stabilize heavy .22 slugs. Although there are countless varieties of subsonic .22, they generally fall in two categories - heavy slugs or weak ammo. My kit doesn't like weak ammo, so I can't use either.

(Allegheny County)

Question Re: The only EASY rifle project, was your LAST one...

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I sorta regret buying an off the shelf .22 upper. Mine came with a 16" barrel and 1/16 twist. As do most. This creates a couple problems. First, the barrel is long enough that it keeps normal/HV ammo supersonic. And my upper only runs on HV ammo. Second, the barrel twist is too slow to stabilize heavy .22 slugs. Although there are countless varieties of subsonic .22, they generally fall in two categories - heavy slugs or weak ammo. My kit doesn't like weak ammo, so I can't use either.
    Which company's upper did you buy, if you don't mind me asking?

TacSol states, their uppers prefer Federal ammo. No big deal - among the 18K of .22LR I own, several thousand of it is Federal. And my Marlin 935R and Ruger Mk.III 22/45 can eat the rest.

I plan of doing some serious ammo testing this spring, what with a dozen or so brands ALREADY in-hand to choose from. I'll post results then.

(Allegheny County)

I always see the M&P 22lr on sale at Gander Mountain from time to time and I usually have a discount or gift card available. I think it would be a fun range toy, but have read mixed bag reviews. It wouldn't be as nice as your final product, but it has decent features.........I don't know, just add it to my wish list for now.