Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Bad LCP or Bad ammo?

I bought my Ruger LCP around a year ago. Since then I have put 400 rounds through it at the range. Initially it had trouble with Gold Dots jamming so I carried it with FMJ rounds until 6 months ago when I began carrying it with Glaser Powerball. On my last trip to the range, over the weekend, I decided to fire off all my remaining Powerball since I thought the gun was past its break in period. The 6+1 resulted in a failure to fire due to a light strike on the 2nd shot and a failure to eject on the 4th. When I fired my extra mag with 6 more Powerball I had another light strike on the 2nd shot and a jam on the feed after the 4th shot. This is particularly troubling because these are the rounds I have been carrying for the past 6 months. I guess my question is: How do you really know what kind of ammo is right for your gun without spending hundreds on testing defensive ammo at the range? The guys at the range (where I had bought the Powerball ammo) blamed all of this on my LCP which has not had any problems since the Gold Dots when it was brand new. This seems like an extremely high rate of issues for ammo that was $1.50/ round. Especially since I then fired another 50 rounds of cheap FMJ without a single issues. Is my LCP destined to only be carried with FMJ or is it time to consider upgrading to an LC9? Has anyone had similar problems with their LCP and what types of ammo corrected this?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bad LCP or Bad ammo?

I would say bad LCP in this case. I've fired gold dots, fmj, and also powerball through my LCP. I probably have about 200 rounds through it and have never had any problems. I did polish the feed ramp before ever shooting the gun. If your gun only seems to work with FMJ then that is what I'd be carrying in it. Although that is really not what you want to hear sometimes you just have to work with what you got. Maybe consider sending the gun to ruger for repairs.

(Bucks County)

No problems here, mine eats everything. Nary a hiccup.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Washington County)

Minee had a ton of issues, some of them due to wear in, some due to my assembling of the recoil spring wrong. Ruger did their best, and above, to make it right.

Make sure the spring is in correctly.

(Monroe County)

I personally carry a P3AT which has never had a problem with any ammunition. However, I had a friend with an LCP which would not feed hollowpoints. After a fluff and buff (as described on KTOG.org for the P3AT) it ran great. This however would not help with your light primer strikes. I would consider sending it back to Ruger with an explanation of the problem.

(Philadelphia County)

Thinking outside of box here...

excessive pocket lint?
    1988 Sig P226, 1988 Porsche 911, Coincidence?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by TailDragger View Post

excessive pocket lint?
    Ditto, not only in the chamber but in the firing pin channel too (light strikes)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TailDragger View Post

excessive pocket lint?
    I would guess no on this. I carry my LCP every single day almost and never clean it before going to the range and have never had any problems. My guess is its just a machining flaw from the factory that maybe cause the problem.

(Montgomery County)

Probably a factory defect of some sort. I use my LCP frequently (it's on my hip right now), and after about 600 or so rounds of all types of ammo I don't recall having a single issue. I would call Ruger, their customer service is excellent.
    Security without liberty is called prison.

(York County)

Try a different H.P.
    I use/carry Remington Golden Sabers in mine they have a more rounded shape.
    Another to try would be a Hornady XTP or their new critical defense. They both have a more pointed shape.
    These all work in mine. I would polish the feed ramp, make sure your recoil inner spring is pointed wide end to the front, and that the gun is cleaned and lubed. A lot of people change to a heavier recoil spring too, the stock is 9# I have a 11# wolff for mine.

For lots of info on the LCP check out
    http://www.elsiepeaforum.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast