Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Gun socks on guns in the safe???

Quote Originally Posted by mikem04rubi View Post
    Hello everyone,

Newbie here, Just got a new Cannon 24 gun safe and just had some questions on storing my rifles. I do have a humidifier installed. I was just wondering if there is an issue with having a gun sock over my rifles? Also have all my ammo in traditional ammo cans, just want to make sure this will not cause any problems with any dampness ( humidifier should solve this). Thank you in advance, any input would be great.

Mike
    I am hoping that you mean a DEhumidifier, not a humidifier. If you have a dehumidifier, you can leave the guns in gunsocks if you want. The gunsocks will breathe a little and the dehumidifier will pull the moisture out ok. As long as the guns aren't in a container that will seal everything in you'll be ok. Ammo in traditional ammo cans is fine. If you're worried, open up the can and let any moisture dissipate and then close them back up.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lehigh County)

They should be fine. Not sure if it matters at all, but I like to store my long guns in the safe muzzle down, just is case of any moisture in the barrel. </overkill>
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: Gun socks on guns in the safe???

Good idea.. another question, How about long term storage of ammo in dry boxes, is it better in a non heated garage, or a non heated basement?? I thought the garage seemed a better idea since it is so dry in the winter months. No room for all the ammo in the safe.. lol

Just trying to build my stash of ammo in case SHTF. I want the ammo reliable if needed.
    BE careful storing ammo where there are temperature extremes! I'd be more worried about condensation ruining ammo, faster than it would ruin a firearm!

Cycle the inventory by practicing. I probably shoot more than what I keep every year.

(Lehigh County)

I have always had success wrapping my firearms in my wife's lingerie... seems like a good use for wasted material

(Bucks County)

Good idea.. another question, How about long term storage of ammo in dry boxes, is it better in a non heated garage, or a non heated basement?? I thought the garage seemed a better idea since it is so dry in the winter months. No room for all the ammo in the safe.. lol

Just trying to build my stash of ammo in case SHTF. I want the ammo reliable if needed.

What you want is temperature stability. Ive got battlefield ammo from several countires/conflicts that was basically buried for years. Being sealed milsurp its all fine save for the stuff where the cases rusted through. Moisture isint a big concern IMO.

(Lancaster County)

If you're using ammo boxes, buy some desiccant packs and drop in with your ammo. Some of the desiccant packs can be heated in an oven and reused.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.