Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Help me choose an AR

I'm looking for an AR15 5.56/.223, 16", mostly intended for target shooting, possibly some occasional high power shooting, but only to see how I do, not actual competition. Secondary use is home/self defense, if the shtf! There's absolutely no way I'm going to spend $1k+! I'm trying to keep it down, but realize I have to spend a little to get quality, so I'm hoping to at least stay below $700.
    I've been doing a TON of research, and reading every post and thread on AR's I could find. I have narrowed it down, as much as possible, to what most people consider decent firearms, that would fit my needs. I'm leaning towards the DelTon, M&A, or J&T for the price, which will allow me to upgrade certain parts. I'm slightly concerned about their quality, and who makes their parts. I know CMT makes Stag, and many parts for others, and at only about $100 more, it will already have the upgraded parts and may be the best choice.
    These are all lightweight carbines, where a choice is given, and have upgrades available. Most have handguards, some don't, but at $20 or so it's not a deal breaker. I also know specials are occasionally available.
    I'm approximating the stripped lower at $75, the bcg at $125, and the complete lower at $200, realizing there's a wide variance in price, and that deals come up occasionally. I know I would need a rear sight for some, and I have not included shipping.
    So, with all that, what would you do?
    These are my main options, feel free to suggest others.
    Stag Arms M4 kit, $614+stripped lower. $689 "special price from dealer"
    Stag Arms upper, $530+complete lower $730
    Del Ton upper, $395+complete lower $595
    Del Ton kit, $465+stripped lower $545
    BCM carbine upper $385+bcg+complete lower $710
    J&T carbine kit $499+stripped lower $574
    RRA carbine A4 kit $675+stripped lower $750
    RRA carbine upper $520+complete lower $720
    M&A carbine kit $500+stripped lower $575
    M&A car upper $375+complete lower $575
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

Default Re: Help me choose an AR

I would only say that if it is mostly for target shooting, get your upper with the heavy barrel. The likelyness of you needing a grenade launcher mount is very low. My groups would fall off a little as my barrel got hot, and it is impossible to target shoot with an AR like you do a bolt action (too easy to run through a 30 rd. mag.). I replaced my barrel with the 16" heavy barrel and the groups do not fall off near as much. I am not a gun fighter, so groups matter to me every time I shoot, and I want every advantage I can get without having to get a varmit barrel.
    Last edited by harold63; January 9th, 2011 at 02:30 PM.

(Elk County)

Whichever barrel profile you choose, DelTon is a great company to purchase from. I purchased an M4 kit from them a few years ago and an 11.5" complete upper last November. They are both top notch for the money. I picked up my shorty upper from them on their Black Friday sale and saved $70! Their ship times are usually 1-3 weeks because your upper is built to your order.

For your info, the M4 kit I purchased was specified with a DPMS barrel. It shoots nearly as good as my DPMS 20" stainless fluted bull barrel upper that I built.

(Chester County)

The BCM is the only one on that list which I would ever recommend for use where reliability is paramount.

(Cumberland County)

I just ordered a BCM upper for a build I am working on. It should be here on Wednesday. Will post pics as soon as I get it, but like Synergy, I am not a fan of any others on that list. Del-Ton is the new-age Oly Arms that NO ONE who knows anything about AR's will touch. the others are mostly hit or miss. BCM has had some very good reviews and field tests. The whole "Dirty Fourteen" article was really incredible.
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(Cumberland County)

FWIW my build will costs $780 after EVERYTHING except a new rear sight, and that is only because I am stubborn and want a TROY folding sight.
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

The BCM upper is the only one on the list that I'd consider, but for $385 you may need to buy handguards. They can get pricey, too if you're talking DD, LaRue, etc.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    The BCM upper is the only one on the list that I'd consider, but for $385 you may need to buy handguards. They can get pricey, too if you're talking DD, LaRue, etc.

you can get a magpul MOE kit with a stock, grip, handguard, buffer tube + all hardware and an enhanced trigger guard for under $120 shipped. Thats what I did.

(Erie County)

BCM really is coming out on top, here and over at an ar15 site.
    M4 handguards are fine, they're inexpensive too.
    It looks like I'll be buying an upper from them, and building the lower as funds become available.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(Cumberland County)

Just one more piece of info....

If you are looking for better reliability, you may consider getting a mid-length upper (especially since they are the same price from BCM). for a 16" barrel, the carbine length gas system can (CAN is key work... not always, but CAN) cause some issues. It was originally designed for a 12.5 and 14.5 in barrels used by Military units. For a 16" barrel, a mid-length gas system will be more reliable. Even if I was going with a 14.5" barrel, I would probably opt for the middy setup.

Check out the middy vs. carbine debate for more detailed info, as there are others out there who are FFFFFAAAAARRRRR more versed in this subject than me. Good luck either way you decide to go, and be sure to post a range report.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast