Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR Optics

(Allegheny County)

Default AR Optics

just wanted to pick your guys brains on an optic for my ar. wanna start off by saying there no way can afford a trijicon or aimpoint or eotech and dont really need one as it will only be used for sooting at the range as can not hunt wit an AR in PA. im looking at thes two. Vortex Strike fire or BSA stealth tactical any other reccomendations are welcomed. thanks all.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Vorte...der;Search-All Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/BSA-O...der;Search-All Products

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: AR Optics

South Hills greetings! Welcome to the madness of AR ownership.

Don't take this the wrong way, BUT... I'm going to suggest, that you continue to pinch pennies, and practice - a LOT - with your irons.

There are some GOOD Allegheny folks in here, well-versed in AR's, and if they chome in, maybe they'll relate some of their BAD experiences with cheap optics. If I could do the Vulcan mind-meld, and simply impart to you YEARS of bad optic experiences (that I've read about), it would turn you off to even MENTING the names of 'Barska,' 'BSA,' 'NCStar,' and the like.

You will be better off in the LONG run - and a better marksman - for using your irons first, and saving for the good optic. And I say this, as the owner of FIVE (5) AR's. I run nothing BUT Aimpoint and Trijicon, and I'm saving up MORE money currently, for a GOOD scope ($600 - $1k range, most likely) for my first SPR.

If you ACTUALLY want to hit your target, the optic is NOT the place to cut corners. If you simply must spend $89.99 RIGHT AWAY, though, I'd suggest driving over, and giving it to me, and I'll put it towards MY good optic fund. You'll have the warm, fuzzy, feeling of helping someone else in need, without all the cursing, swearing, and frustration, of spending it on a CHEAP optic, that won't hold zero to start with, and breaks on your first trip to the range.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR Optics

i appericiate your reply and agree with you and dont mind shooting with my iron sights. I completely understand and agree that they are superior optics. but there is no way to justify $500-$1000 for a optic that is ony going to be used a few times a year. if was going to be uisng it for law enforcement or military then i believe it that it is worth the money. but i just need something for the range to shoot with my friends.

Take a look here http://www.primaryarms.com/category.sc?categoryId=398 much to choose from and the primary arms stuff is pretty good. Gets good reviews from the ar15.com crowd.
    You must pay attention to the man behind the curtain. Or you will loose.

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: AR Optics

Quote Originally Posted by moose83 View Post
    i appericiate your reply and agree with you and dont mind shooting with my iron sights. I completely understand and agree that they are superior optics. but there is no way to justify $500-$1000 for a optic that is ony going to be used a few times a year. if was going to be uisng it for law enforcement or military then i believe it that it is worth the money. but i just need something for the range to shoot with my friends.
    OK... but what are you going to do, if - for some reason - you NEED that optic for MORE than the range (riot, earthquake, martial law, etc.)? Where - and HOW - will you get your 'GOOD' optic then? How will you zero it? How will you train with it, when the crisis is NOW upon you?

Do you keep a spare tire in your car? Ever had to use it? How about a fire extinguisher in your house? Ever had to use it? Got homeowners insurance? Car insurance? Health insurance?

You might NEVER use ANY of them, BUT... when you DO, you need 'em to work RIGHT, the FIRST time, and EVERY time! And you DON'T want any UN-pleasant surprises, to be sure!

My optics sit on my rifles in my safe MOST of the time, too. I still hafta go to work, play with the kids, hug the wife, mow the grass, wax the car, & a million other things related to daily life that AREN'T 'shooting.' But my life, and the life of my loved ones, might well depend on my marksmanship someday. Is your life worth more than $89.95? Mine is. So is my families'.

READ the woes of other folks on this AND other boards, regarding 'cheap' optics. READ how their cheap optic broke - sometimes on the FIRST SHOT. Read the frustration, of them having to save that $89.95 again, along with a couple hundred MORE bucks. It's rather sobering.

LOOK at the classified ads of THIS and other boards - there's a guy here selling an Aimpoint Comp M2 with QRP mount for $275 right now!!! I have that exact same setup on my BCM middy... and I gave $250 for MINE! QUALITY used optics for half-price even are OUT there - take the time, to research what's there. Grab a used Aimpoint or EOTech, and get some QUALITY, so your investment actually works FOR you - NOT, against you. You will NOT regret that.

(Allegheny County)

While I am inclide to agree with War_Wagon its only because we share some of the same mindset, AND becasue I use my gear differently than the OP.

For some, guns are toys, I dont mean that in a deragotory fashion. But I mean like just fun things to play with. Not even in the sense of gun games, which normally will see harder use depending on the owner and wether they get into the game that way or not.

For something just for on the range. It wont ever see bedside duty, it sepnds its life in a safe, just buy whatver strikes your fancy really. If your looking cheap check warranties. Make sure that bargain optic will be fixed if it wont hold zero, or it busted out of the box. Its only a .223, so its not like it needs to be heavy duty to withstand recoil.

I dont have a lot of input on the cheaper brands, sorry.

I will say though that my Aimpoint died on me at the range today. It may have been a batt issue, Ive had it a year and its had the same batt in it and never been off. It should have a 3 year (is it 5?) contant on batt life.... but who says it shipped with a fresh batt to begin with? The moral there is if you plunk down the money on a good optic, spend the $2.62 on a new battery ! doh !

(Allegheny County)

The Vortex optics are decent for the price, the Sparc is an Aimpoint Micro like optic that is fairly priced and will hold up, as are the Primary Arms Aimpoint clones. You are not getting the Aimpoint battery life and you need to turn them on and off.

I have two of the Primary Arms micro clones and they have held up for what I needed them to do. There are videos and threads around where they have been used as a hammer, frozen, thrown, and kicked and still work, but their glass isnt very clear compared to others and their batteries last for around 300 hours.

Both the Vortex and Primary Arms should suit you fine for what you intend to do with them.

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.s...categoryId=398

I would also avoid BSA like the plague.

If you are a PMSC member I can show you one some time.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

ok thanx fopr all the info guy i think im prob gonna go with the Vortex i looked at it the other day at gander mountain and liked it alot. i think it will be good for using at the range.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The Vortex optics are decent for the price, the Sparc is an Aimpoint Micro like optic that is fairly priced and will hold up, as are the Primary Arms Aimpoint clones. You are not getting the Aimpoint battery life and you need to turn them on and off.

I have two of the Primary Arms micro clones and they have held up for what I needed them to do. There are videos and threads around where they have been used as a hammer, frozen, thrown, and kicked and still work, but their glass isnt very clear compared to others and their batteries last for around 300 hours.

Both the Vortex and Primary Arms should suit you fine for what you intend to do with them.

I would also avoid BSA like the plague.

If you are a PMSC member I can show you one some time.
    What generation?

Their website says it lasts 1000+ hours. I'm getting the m4 as soon as I get the balls to spend 100 of my last 300 dollars. :'(

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by topsykretts View Post
    What generation?

Their website says it lasts 1000+ hours. I'm getting the m4 as soon as I get the balls to spend 100 of my last 300 dollars. :'(
    I have the one that lasts 340 hours. Not sure which generation.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast