Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR Optics

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR Optics

Quote Originally Posted by moose83 View Post
    just wanted to pick your guys brains on an optic for my ar. wanna start off by saying there no way can afford a trijicon or aimpoint or eotech and dont really need one as it will only be used for sooting at the range as can not hunt wit an AR in PA. im looking at thes two. Vortex Strike fire or BSA stealth tactical any other reccomendations are welcomed. thanks all.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Vorte...der;Search-All Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/BSA-O...der;Search-All Products
    I just received the BSA in the mail today from Cheaper Than Dirt, I got the same one but it has red/green/blue dot with light and laser with pressure switches for 129.99, it is very well made, and being that it is my first red dot I can't really comment on the quality of the dot's but I haven't had a chance to use it yet, so I can't really say how accurate it is yet either. I do like the fact that the lens cover's twist to open and close, that way you don't have to worry about flipping a cover up and down, just a little info for you.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    South Hills greetings! Welcome to the madness of AR ownership.

Don't take this the wrong way, BUT... I'm going to suggest, that you continue to pinch pennies, and practice - a LOT - with your irons.

There are some GOOD Allegheny folks in here, well-versed in AR's, and if they chome in, maybe they'll relate some of their BAD experiences with cheap optics. If I could do the Vulcan mind-meld, and simply impart to you YEARS of bad optic experiences (that I've read about), it would turn you off to even MENTING the names of 'Barska,' 'BSA,' 'NCStar,' and the like.

You will be better off in the LONG run - and a better marksman - for using your irons first, and saving for the good optic. And I say this, as the owner of FIVE (5) AR's. I run nothing BUT Aimpoint and Trijicon, and I'm saving up MORE money currently, for a GOOD scope ($600 - $1k range, most likely) for my first SPR.

If you ACTUALLY want to hit your target, the optic is NOT the place to cut corners. If you simply must spend $89.99 RIGHT AWAY, though, I'd suggest driving over, and giving it to me, and I'll put it towards MY good optic fund. You'll have the warm, fuzzy, feeling of helping someone else in need, without all the cursing, swearing, and frustration, of spending it on a CHEAP optic, that won't hold zero to start with, and breaks on your first trip to the range.
    I agree with this guy but I will say that the BSA stealth series optics, are not bad. I had one on my Bushmaster XM15 Carbine before I sold it. I could put a whole mag center mass semi rapid fire at 100 meters easily. It shot eh...maybe 3" groups @100 yards.

Waddayawant...its a combat rifle not a sniper rifle!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Allegheny County)

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nismo08 View Post
    I just received the BSA in the mail today from Cheaper Than Dirt, I got the same one but it has red/green/blue dot with light and laser with pressure switches for 129.99, it is very well made, and being that it is my first red dot I can't really comment on the quality of the dot's but I haven't had a chance to use it yet, so I can't really say how accurate it is yet either. I do like the fact that the lens cover's twist to open and close, that way you don't have to worry about flipping a cover up and down, just a little info for you.
    I had that exact same BSA scope. It worked great, but the light and the laser on mine weren't worth a damn. You are better off not having that extra crap on your scope anyway, all is does is take up your FOV.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    I had that exact same BSA scope. It worked great, but the light and the laser on mine weren't worth a damn. You are better off not having that extra crap on your scope anyway, all is does is take up your FOV.
    I'm probably gonna take the laser and light off, the light is pretty bright and from what I've read the laser is only any good upto 20 yds, I wanted the scope they just happened to come with it. I bought it for my ak that I added a rail system too, but figured I could use it on my S&P15 too.

(Lancaster County)

The only real issue I had with my scope, was the adjustments were not very consistant. It was a little bit jumpy. There are set screws on the adjuster knobs, you have to make sure they are tight enough to turn the adjustment spindle without just spinning on it. You need to hear and feel the clicks. If it isn't doing that, the screws are loose. Other than that, like I said, it shot great, was pleanty bright, accurate enough, and really good on batteries. I left it on accidentally for about 4 hours after I was done shooting it, owned it for over a year, and still never had to change the battery in it.

I have to agree with those that have suggested to hold off on an immediate purchase and pinch pennies until you can afford the scope you want. Thats what I did with my first AR. I saved up for a trij (takes a while haha) and the whole time practiced with my irons (which will never be taken off the gun, because no matter how expensive your scope is if its broke its not worth anything).

this is a link for my scope:
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/printabl...t-ta31trd.html

(Lawrence County)

I don't have a BSA red dot, but I have three of their scopes. One on a .300 WBY, one on a 7 STW and one on an AR.

Strangely enough, they have taken a beating and have been rock solid.

My experience with cheap scopes (BSA, Tasco) is that the QC is usually lower, but they are decent when put together right. They either break fast or they run fine forever.

Lycanmysteryoftheuniversethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lancaster County)

The problem with buying cheap, is you do actually get what you pay for, sometimes. If you buy expensive, you already know you are going to get a quality item, and for the cost, you damn well should. But I think it is pretty funny when people go out and buy an $80 scope for a 1K plus firearm. Then they get mad when it breaks!

Shoot the irons first, get good with them, and save your money for ammo and a good scope. You don't want to put 2nd rate optics on a 1st rate firearm!

(Allegheny County)

Hello All,

I am new to PA, and this Forum. Nice to see good topics and resources to pull from. I am an AR enthusiast (still have a hard time not saying M-4), just have not found a place to shoot yet. I spent 9 years in the military and half of that time "down-range." Optics is, and will always be a source of debate and yes....expense!!! With that being said, the most expensive optic, the most accurate, and reliable is free. Your DOMINANT eye. Many may think well I'm right handed, I shoot with my right eye....works for me. Try your dominant eye and see the results. The first set of sights you should be concerned about on any AR platform are the Iron sights. Which ones you choose correlate to what Optic to buy. I feel a weapon like an AR-15 should be able to OWN 300 meters and kill wound out to 800. If you own an EO-Tech, Aimpoint, or similiar optic this is easily accomplished. There are magnifiers for all of these sights that can be flipped out of the way with ease.
    It is an Assault Rifle....so make it so. Remember to adjust any "dot sight" to the highest setting, and turn it lower in incriment, so that you can barely see the "dot"...that will give you the Batt. life the makers speak of, and help with Paramax issues.
    Go for an ACOG.....BANG and BUCK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast