Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default York Riflemen or Dallastown IWLA

My wife and I are looking for a private outdoor range and after some research York Riflemen & IWLA appear to be the closest. Are there any PAFOA members who are also members of either York Riflemen or the IWLA who would be willing to give a tour of the club grounds and possibly sponsor a membership?

(York County)

Default Re: York Riflemen or Dallastown IWLA

The York Riflemen is a great range/club. Downside is that they are almost always right at their max of 1500 members. I am only now just getting in after a 2-year wait, and I have to be a member for 1 year before sponsoring anyone myself.

I have never been to IWLA, but I have heard it is very nice, and family oriented, but a little pricey.

If you are looking in these areas of York, consider Windsor Fish and Game: http://www.windsorfishandgame.org/ located at the western end of Windsor Township. Very small, but very clean and well equipped as far as benches and overhead protection. Pistol out to 25 yards and rifle out to 200 yards, archery, but no shotgun.

Windsor is very affordable, you can poke around the web site for details. I was just chatting with a friend about them, but my evening work schedule prevented me from taking him. So he went on his own and they signed him right up. Last I heard their membership is right around 500. Having used this range on a number of occasions, I have only seen someone else on one occasion.

I am usually off work Friday, Saturday, Sunday, but attending a meeting requires missing a shift of work for me. If you want to have a look let me know, we could do that as early as tomorrow (Saturday the 8th)
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

I have been a member of York Riflemen for several years and I enjoy the club and the facility very much. Rifle range to 200yds, Pistol to 50(?), a shotgunning area with a post mounted thrower for use by members, indoor 22lr RIFLE only to 50ft.

I love the history of this club and the membership is very helpful. The club is at it's max of 1500 members for now and I belive the wait is approx 2 years for membership. There are some changes comming to the YR club with an updated card entry system and maybe some upgrades to the pistol range. (VERY muddy for days after it rains).

I am not a member of Dallastown IWLA but I shoot there regularly for their pistol funshoots and some trap shooting on occasion. Another very nice facility. Dtown IWLA seems to be more family oriented as they have more events for families (with kids, etc). The only thing that has kept me from becoming a member is the high cost and they have a requirement for work details. I am a board member at another local club and that takes up quite a bit of my time, so I am reluctant to spread myself thin. I believe (NOT certain) that the membership for IWLA is approx $75-$100 when I checked. For me and the amount of things that I would use the club for, that is a bit high. (For others who may be interested in family events and more use of their facilities....I am certain it is a bargain)

I am friends with a former President of the Windsor Fish and Game Assoc and he has high praise for the club. I know Curmudgeon holds it in high regard as it seems to be one of the clubs that are less crowded and has facilities for pistol/rifle as well as a few events throughout the year for members. I shot rifle there YEARS ago and I thought it was very nice and VERY well maintained.

I think it may depend on what you would like to get out of a club, such as what you would like to use as far as facilities and how often you would expect to use them. In this area (York/Windsor/D-town/Wrightsville, etc) I think it would be hard to go wrong with any of the local clubs. They all seem to work hard to ensure that the membership is vibrant and the club grounds have everything that is needed.

Good luck.

(York County)

Well I am not a member at either of those clubs but I did just (like Nov)
    join Jefferson Sportsmen’s Association and I do believe that they are still accepting members not 100% sure. Not sure what you are looking for but they do have some nice ranges over there from 50 to 300 yard outdoor and a 50 yard i believe indoor 22 and archery ranges here is the link to there website
    http://www.jeffersonsportsmen.org
    The day we lose our will to fight is the day we lose our freedom.

(York County)

Curmudgeon, I will PM you about Windsor Fish & Game. Thanks for the information, I was not aware of this club.

How would one get on the wait list for York Riflemen?

(York County)

If you travel to York Riflemen (Range Rd in Hellam Twp) on a Saturday or Sunday, someone should be around to give you an application (which are hanging on the bulletin board) as well as show you around. I believe you will also need to get your application signed by a board member. If there are none at the club, I am certain there is a posting with board members names and numbers so you may contact one in order to meet up.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnUSCG View Post
    I have been a member of York Riflemen for several years and I enjoy the club and the facility very much. Rifle range to 200yds, Pistol to 50(?), a shotgunning area with a post mounted thrower for use by members, indoor 22lr RIFLE only to 50ft.

I love the history of this club and the membership is very helpful. The club is at it's max of 1500 members for now and I belive the wait is approx 2 years for membership. There are some changes comming to the YR club with an updated card entry system and maybe some upgrades to the pistol range. (VERY muddy for days after it rains).

I am not a member of Dallastown IWLA but I shoot there regularly for their pistol funshoots and some trap shooting on occasion. Another very nice facility. Dtown IWLA seems to be more family oriented as they have more events for families (with kids, etc). The only thing that has kept me from becoming a member is the high cost and they have a requirement for work details. I am a board member at another local club and that takes up quite a bit of my time, so I am reluctant to spread myself thin. I believe (NOT certain) that the membership for IWLA is approx $75-$100 when I checked. For me and the amount of things that I would use the club for, that is a bit high. (For others who may be interested in family events and more use of their facilities....I am certain it is a bargain)

I am friends with a former President of the Windsor Fish and Game Assoc and he has high praise for the club. I know Curmudgeon holds it in high regard as it seems to be one of the clubs that are less crowded and has facilities for pistol/rifle as well as a few events throughout the year for members. I shot rifle there YEARS ago and I thought it was very nice and VERY well maintained.

I think it may depend on what you would like to get out of a club, such as what you would like to use as far as facilities and how often you would expect to use them. In this area (York/Windsor/D-town/Wrightsville, etc) I think it would be hard to go wrong with any of the local clubs. They all seem to work hard to ensure that the membership is vibrant and the club grounds have everything that is needed.

Good luck.
    John, there currently is NOT a work detail requirement for membership to Dtown IWLA. And at $100, it is a bargain for what you can get from the place, check it out http://yorkiwla.org/. No, I'm not biased at all, no not me, not one bit.....

gary - Funshoot MD
    Last edited by ghs; January 20th, 2011 at 01:41 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ghs View Post
    John, there currently is NOT a work detail requirement for membership to Dtown IWLA. And at $100, it is a bargain for what you can get from the place, check it out http://yorkiwla.org/. No, I'm not biased at all, no not me, not one bit.....

gary - Funshoot MD

Hey...if you are gonna be biased, I couldn't think of a better place to be biased toward!

Glad to know there is not a work detail requirement. Thanks for correcting me on that, Gary.

The facility is huge and well kept with LOADS of activities. If anyone likes USPSA shoots....This is your place in York. (Or you could be just like me and threaten to start shooting USPSA and only come to their fun-shoots once a month)