Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Anybody shoot plate matches at Classic Pistol?

I'm thinking about using up some of my vacation days to go to the November and December plate matches. CP is about an hour's drive for me, but it looks like there's no more action pistol matches at DCFS until next summer, and I don't feel ready for IPSC or IDPA.

So what are these matches like?

I've got a G17 that's essentially an open/unlimited gun, and a G21 that's pretty much stock. I would like to shoot both, if possible.

Default Re: Anybody shoot plate matches at Classic Pistol?

Heck if i want to shoot "plates" all I have to do is call my wife by some other woman's name while she is in the kitchen. Plates would be flying faster then I could reload

Nope never did a plate match, but you should try IDPA even if its just once, its lots of fun!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Montgomery County)

I sure wish I could find a range nearby SE PA that had plates for me to shoot. I think its very gratifying to hear the 'pang' of the bullet hitting the target, letting you know you've hit. On paper targets, after around 15-20 rounds, you cant tell if you are hitting the target or just going through a pre-existing hole. Quite annoying.

Does anyone allow informal shooting of plates or reactive targets? Spinners, etc.... As in recreational shooting, not competition.

Thanks!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Heck if i want to shoot "plates" all I have to do is call my wife by some other woman's name while she is in the kitchen. Plates would be flying faster then I could reload
    Funny, Frenchy! The mental picture that conjures up is just great!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

If you have your own land...you can make some steel plates to shoot at...I have some at the farm...I bought some 8" round 5/8" thick steel plates...had a little piece of metal welded on the bottom to hold the plates up...a lot of fun.

(Blair County)

Don't (as in "do not") be intimidated by the whole "IPSC/IDPA/3 Gun" thing.

You may show up and no one talk to you all day. (Happened to me at an IPSC match.)

You may finish a stage and be told of the multitude of procedural errors you've committed. (Happened to me at an IDPA match.)

Your head may explode when you see how fast and accurately some of the competitors shoot (Every match I shot for the first year.)

Let's just put it this way, the first 3 Gun match I shot, I didn't place last, but that was only because three guys got disqualified.

BUT, assuming you are marginally observant and willing to learn, learning curve will be more like a vertical line. Unless you can afford long term professional instruction, there is no better place to learn shooting techniques (not tactics) than IPSC/IDPA. Personally, I prefer IPSC (USPSA) Limited Class, but you will hear a wide variety of opinion on which organization people prefer.

Show up, be safe, watch everyone else shoot, and work to get better.

Doesn't really address your original question, but it bears saying. Oh, yeah, shoot the plate matches, too. Any action shooting you can do is worth trying.

doug
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Bucks County)

CP is about 2 minutes from my house, and I want to stop over for a plate shoot some time. I do encourage you to shoot IDPA. It's a great way to learn and the people are generally very friendly. They do an IDPA-style match at CP and the one at Ready Aim Fire in Bristol, PA is very good . . . and the guys there are very beginner-friendly.

(Chester County)

Well it's a ways off still, but I plan ahead 364 days in advance. It's that much fun.

www.psashootout.com

(Bucks County)

classic pistol is great, i knew they did some sort of IDPA (even though its not techically IDPA), but shooting plates, that sounds very very cool, Ill have to ask them about it next time i go.
    Drak
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Delaware County)

I did go to the one in December.

Pretty much anything goes, up to race guns, I think. I shot a Glock with a red dot.
    I think it was a standard GSSF plate rack at 7 yards (do a search). 5 8" plates, 1 was broken or otherwise out of commission.
    Magazines were loaded with 8 rounds. Not sure what happens if 6th plate gets fixed.
    Shoot from low ready. I was not allowed a reload (had I needed one I would have been embarrassed). Not sure what happens if mag or cylinder doesn't hold eight.
    You shoot the plates three times for time. Lowest combined time wins obviously.

I will probably edit later with more info. Need to get sleep.

I'm tempted to check out that PSA Shootout dealie. Sounds like fun, some stages look pretty devious though.
    Last edited by Suburban; January 1st, 2007 at 08:51 PM.