Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New M&P's

(Bucks County)

Thumbs up Re: New M&P's

My Pro and compact. Both with Crimson Trace Grips.

I love both of these. Especially with the addition of the Apex Tactical parts.

(Pike County)

Default Re: New M&P's

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    streamlight TLR-2 is nice if you want a combo. Personally, If I had more money I think the perfect setup is a TLR 1 or 3 (depending on if you want big and metal or small and plastic) and the crimson trace grips.

But, for the cost of the grips you can get a TLR2 and have both. The only thing I don't like about it is the laser hangs off the bottom and it seems (in my short experience playing with it) that if it's sighted in close up it's off at distance and if it's sighted in at distance is't off close up. I think the crimson trace is a little better in this regard, as well as having instinctive activation.
    Yeah the TLR2 seems to be the perfect solution, the TLR1&3 don't seem to have the laser. However my turn-off's with this product would be the sighting issue you mentioned and the placement of the on/off switch. I will have to do further research.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Yeah the TLR2 seems to be the perfect solution, the TLR1&3 don't seem to have the laser. However my turn-off's with this product would be the sighting issue you mentioned and the placement of the on/off switch. I will have to do further research.
    Correct, 1 and 3 don't have the laser. I carry a 1 and I love it. The 3 tucks beautifully under the barrel of a FS M&P and doesn't add any bulk to the holster. That, combined with the $80 price tag makes it a no-brainer if you're just looking for a light. Plus, you can always get the grips down the road.

The 2 is cool but there's some pro's and cons.

Pros:

*great value compared to seperate light and laser
    *versatile. You can run just the light, just the laser, or both
    *seems to hols zero well
    *well made product (and made in PA )

Cons:
    *Bulky. It's not much bigger than the 1, but it is bigger and adds bulk to the holster
    *Laser is far from bore axis. Doesn't seem to make much difference at longer ranges but up close it's more noticable.
    *Manual activation. You actually have to turn it on.
    *"All your eggs in one basket" If you take your light off lose your laser. If it breaks you might be out both.

I think a TLR 3 with the CT grips would be pretty awesome. A very streamlined package. But, the TLR2 is a pretty good choice in it's own right. It's just what works best for you.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    Correct, 1 and 3 don't have the laser. I carry a 1 and I love it. The 3 tucks beautifully under the barrel of a FS M&P and doesn't add any bulk to the holster. That, combined with the $80 price tag makes it a no-brainer if you're just looking for a light. Plus, you can always get the grips down the road.

The 2 is cool but there's some pro's and cons.

Pros:

*great value compared to seperate light and laser
    *versatile. You can run just the light, just the laser, or both
    *seems to hols zero well
    *well made product (and made in PA )

Cons:
    *Bulky. It's not much bigger than the 1, but it is bigger and adds bulk to the holster
    *Laser is far from bore axis. Doesn't seem to make much difference at longer ranges but up close it's more noticable.
    *Manual activation. You actually have to turn it on.
    *"All your eggs in one basket" If you take your light off lose your laser. If it breaks you might be out both.

I think a TLR 3 with the CT grips would be pretty awesome. A very streamlined package. But, the TLR2 is a pretty good choice in it's own right. It's just what works best for you.
    I have to agree, it seems like the CT Grip with the TLR 3 would be the best combo after all. If I am going to spend money on accessories I want the best. Now do the CT Grip's have a pulse mode?

Another thing about the M&P series, is the full sized considered the 4.25" or 5" L model?
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Fullsize is the 4.25" gun. The 5" is considered a long slide, hence the "L"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bmxer0122 View Post
    It shoots great, the trigger takes a bit of getting used to (i started shooting using a 1911). It shoots great with literally any ammo from wolf to federal and isn't very high maintenance. I try to clean and lube after every use and when i do it seems like its wearing well (not at all) anything else your interested in knowing? I also have a surefire Trl2 (something like that) weapon light that i basically dont use but it balances nicely when shooting with it on!
    Just curious if the trigger is like the Sigma SW40F? It seems to have a long pull.
    <a href=http://www.filehive.com/files/080820/bowkillpa.jpg target=_blank>http://www.filehive.com/files/080820/bowkillpa.jpg</a>

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by bowkillpa View Post
    Just curious if the trigger is like the Sigma SW40F? It seems to have a long pull.
    No, not at all. The trigger on the M&P is way better than the sigma and with a little work it can be about the best trigger you'll find on a plstic gun. The "long pull" is all takeup. With a trigger job you can have an incredibly short pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Fullsize is the 4.25" gun. The 5" is considered a long slide, hence the "L"
    I would say it depends on if you want to carry it. Problem with the 5" is 1. Harder to conceal OWB, and 2. You're really limiting yourself when it comes to holsters. I'm not sure what's out there but they don't make a blue gun for the 5" model so it might even be hard to find custom Kydex holsters for it.

I see more cons than pros with the 5" but I'd like to hear other opinions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123