Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Converting a Beretta 96G (decocker only) to 96FS (safety+decocker)?

Can this be done without replacing the slide? I just got the gun and would very much like to do this. If it can't be done on the cheap, I don't think I am going to bother as the gun wasn't very expensive since it was used and on sale (Surplus City rocks!). It was the last one they had in stock and on sale since the magazine release was set up for a lefty.

I have since fixed the magazine release but would like the safety similar to my 92FS which I usually keep chambered but safety on.

Any ideas on how to go about this or if it can be done? Where to get parts?

Thanks!
    -Zach

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Converting a Beretta 96G (decocker only) to 96FS (safety+decocker)?

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Can this be done without replacing the slide? I just got the gun and would very much like to do this. If it can't be done on the cheap, I don't think I am going to bother as the gun wasn't very expensive since it was used and on sale (Surplus City rocks!). It was the last one they had in stock and on sale since the magazine release was set up for a lefty.

I have since fixed the magazine release but would like the safety similar to my 92FS which I usually keep chambered but safety on.

Any ideas on how to go about this or if it can be done? Where to get parts?

Thanks!
    -Zach
    Nope, you will need a new slide AFAIK... Interesting, I think your post is the first I have read that wanted to convert a G to an FS. I have read what seems like hundreds of posts over the years that folks want to go the other way, and it really bums out folks that it can't be done, or that they can't buy a NIB 92G anymore. I do think however the 90-two model can be had as a G model if that helps.

(Bucks County)

Thank you for the quick reply. I just got the same information from the beretta forum. I know, I must be the only idiot who likes the safety on the beretta. Extra weird since I don't mind that my sig doesn't have one.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Guns N'at View Post
    Nope, you will need a new slide AFAIK... Interesting, I think your post is the first I have read that wanted to convert a G to an FS. I have read what seems like hundreds of posts over the years that folks want to go the other way, and it really bums out folks that it can't be done, or that they can't buy a NIB 92G anymore. I do think however the 90-two model can be had as a G model if that helps.

(Monroe County)

Zachom, When i were dilly dallying on brownell's site looking for parts for my M21 Bobcat , i saw Slides for the 92 FS for a little over $200, check out brownell's.

(Bucks County)

I only paid 300$ for the gun. But I will still poke around and see if anything pops up. Thanks!

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Zachom, When i were dilly dallying on brownell's site looking for parts for my M21 Bobcat , i saw Slides for the 92 FS for a little over $200, check out brownell's.

(Philadelphia County)

I saw a police trade in 96fs at Cabelas for I think 250 or 299. It had a rough exterior from being in a holster but probably was clean inside, all my police guns I've bought were clean interior/rough exterior. It may still be there, it may not.

(Centre County)

I do believe you'll need new slide.
    If you look, slide can be had for not too expensive
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Is your Beretta a Centurion model?

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I must be the only idiot who likes the safety on the beretta. Extra weird since I don't mind that my sig doesn't have one.

-Zach
    456 - Nope I like almost everything about the 92/96 series Berettas including the safety. But my brigadier Elite 96 has the decocker only and I like that also, with this gun its always ready for action, it even has a lighter DA/SA pull.

Another slide would fix this but why. Buy another used one with the safety/decocker a new slide gonna cost about $300 anyway.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns N'at View Post
    True, being that there is more a demand for "G" slides, you may be able to trade for one pretty quickly.