Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cleveland, but looking to relocate to Oil City, Ohio

Default Advice on Oil City Area

I currently live in the Cleveland, Ohio area with my girlfriend. She is originally from Oil City and her family still lives there. I am looking to find a job in that area and relocate so that when our baby is born, she can be closer to family. I currently work in IT but could possibly be looking to change careers to Law Enforcement. Does anyone have any advice to help me out? Could anyone help with employment opportunities? I appreciate the answers ahead of time.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Advice on Oil City Area

I don't know what to tell you. There is definitely a depressed economy here and jobs are available, but not very many. Electralloy , producer of high quality stainless , hires occasionally. The Joy in Franklin occasionally.
    OCPD would not be my choice of LEO employment. Sheriff Eric Foy is a good man and might possibly be hiring.

There is always WalMart, Ha Ha.
    You know why a banana is like a politician?
    When he first comes in he is green, then he turns yellow and then he's rotten.

(Venango County)

Xpertz speaks the truth about the area. The economy is certainly depressed and it is difficult to find a good paying job. There are several smaller companies in the area that may need an IT person, but I would expect wages to be low. It is usually difficult to get into one of the better paying jobs at a place like Joy. Many of the area police are also not payed well. I imagine that Franklin and Oil City probably pays police a decent wage, but not the smaller departments. I know several LEOs that could make more money at Wal-Mart. If you are willing to commute an hr or so away, the options for decent employment really start to open up.

The area is also inexpensive to live in, and is very gun friendly. It would be my opinion that you would be much better off not living directly in Oil City or Franklin, but rather in the country or one of the smaller communities. The two larger cities are ridden with welfare and drug issues.

(Venango County)

I am biased a little against Oil City.

Franklin is the county seat. It has a smaller population but a nicer layout in my opinion. Then, one can always live in the country like I do now. I hate town and city living. Maybe when I am old and feeble it will have a 'walkable' allure to it.

Good property all over Venango County. (BTW, taxes are higher in the Franklin area which is a drawback)

There are other towns around as well; Polk, Rocky Grove, Cooperstown, Titusville etc.

Joy's IT is located in their Warrendale facility about 70 miles to the south in the 'other' Cranberry Twp where 76 and 79 intersect.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Venango County)

You already jump through the hoops to be a LEO?

My brother is a law dog, and I can ask him about if anywhere is hiring. I have two degrees in the IT field, and I can't find a job in the tech field. The company I work for, is currently hiring for a few more positions. Decent pay, good hours, great benefits. It's in franklin, so would be a few minutes (a whopping four minute drive) for you. But, always an option.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

Her family business is in Seneca. I honestly don't want to live in the city, I want an area where I can a get a house with 2+ acres of land. I love to hunt. I actually pulled my first deer there this year. I got a 9 point buck. We really need to be close to Seneca since that where the business is located. I know that area is depressed. I don't expect to make some great salary. I just want to live comfortably. I know about Joy and Electralloy. I looked on both their websites already. I was trying to find out who the utility companies and gas companies are. Any other ideas or advice?

(Venango County)

Electralloy and Joy will hire a huge amount of people, just to lay them all off a few months later.

Depends. I know some of the utility companies. Penelec, and the like. I don't know if you are looking to see about a career with one of them, or just to get more info.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

I am looking for employment opportunities. I have been researching and found out that I can attend the Police Academy part time while still working. I feel that I could bring a good skill set to whatever company I get a job with. I've already been researching housing and jobs as much as I can but would like to make connections with people in that area and see what it takes me.

(Venango County)

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation has an Engineering office in Oil City and employs IT personnel. This might be a Civil Service position. It might be worth considering.

(Mercer County)

I have no advice on employment in the area, but the Oil City Izzak Walton League holds alot of different shoots. I attend most of the Woods Walk Silhouette shoots. Something different to do on a Sunday. They are the 3rd Sunday of each month. Look into it if you're into that sort of thing and you move out this way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast