Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Scope out of adjustment, help!

My Dad's Leupold VXI scope on his Model 94 trapper is out of adjustment windage wise. It's cranked all the way to the left but shoots about 8" to the right of the bull. Anyone have a remedy? My thoughts were to remove the scope, turn windage halfway to full right, re-mount the scope, this should give him more play in either direction. Sound right or am I way off?

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Scope out of adjustment, help!

I think we need some more information. Is this a new scope that has been recently mounted? Or an old scope/mount combo that suddenly went wacky? What type of mounts? Factory drilled and tapped rifle?

Burris makes eccentric inserts for their Signature rings, these allow you to offset the scope in the rings. Or you can shim the bases.

Dale

(Perry County)

As far as I know the scope has been on this gun and not removed since around 87'. Weaver rings, I'm sure the gun was factory drilled, and there are already shims in it.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rem700SPS View Post
    My Dad's Leupold VXI scope on his Model 94 trapper is out of adjustment windage wise. It's cranked all the way to the left but shoots about 8" to the right of the bull. Anyone have a remedy? My thoughts were to remove the scope, turn windage halfway to full right, re-mount the scope, this should give him more play in either direction. Sound right or am I way off?

Shims where? Are they Weaver rings or Weaver-style rings? What kind of mounting?

Either way, I'd want to take those rings/mounts off and check everything.

Lycanpicswouldhelpthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Perry County)

They are weaver rings not 100% sure about the mounts but if I know my old man, they're weaver mounts also. The shims are between the scope and rings,why?

(Lawrence County)

Because one of the shims may have shifted. He must have shimmed it for a reason initially, though.........

I'd take the rings off, tighten the mounts and ring it without shims and see if you can get a zero.

If not, then I'd use the Burris Sigantures that were mentioned or a set up with the Leopould STD rings and mounts that allow you to adjust windage with the mount. Neither option is terribly expensive.

Neither are great fixes for bug magnums and heavy scopes, but should work for that Trapper.

Lycaninterestingthrope

(Perry County)

Ok, but understand there isn't anymore left adjustment, can not turn left anymore.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rem700SPS View Post
    Ok, but understand there isn't anymore left adjustment, can not turn left anymore.
    Right, but it was shimmed. Most scopes don't need shimmed. You shim when you need to add a LOT of adjustment in most cases. If the shim moved or deteriorated you would lose adjustment.

There are so many variables (mounts, screws, rings, shims, scope) that I think we need to go back and rule out the easy stuff before we chase a ghost.

Ask your dad why he shimmed it. Was it to change elevation or was it originally for changing windage? I've been assuming it was shimmed for windage.

I'd tighten her up, check for cracks in the rings or mounts and recenter the scope. See if you can zero it and if you can't.....then reshim or use the other options. Or...if you want to..have a smith plug the holes and drill it true.

Lycansolutions?thrope

(Somerset County)

Could be the scope crapped out too. Assuming it was pretty much on target at one time, and then went off kilter, where was it hitting before you moved the windage adjustment?

Put the scope on another rifle, move the adjustments to the middle and see what happens.

Like Lycan says, lots of variables here.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Could be the scope crapped out too. Assuming it was pretty much on target at one time, and then went off kilter, where was it hitting before you moved the windage adjustment?

Dale
    winner winner chicken dinner. Contrary to popular believe, even the holy Leupold's fail. Send it back. Better yet, don't buy another Leupold, their CQ has gone in the dumpster as well as being completely made in the US (Chinese parts).

All scopes will fail, keep that in mind, no matter how awesome or popular or reputable or expensive. It may take 5 days or 50 years. The more it's banged around and the more it's adjusted, the more wear(obviously) it gets. No optic is full proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast