Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Talking Glock 22 Gen 4 - Range Review

First, let me start by saying this is my first Glock, and I am now wondering what took me so long to try/buy one. I was on the fence as to which Glock generation to purchase, I gripped the G22 with the RTF (rough textured frame) and also a regular G22 generation 3, however, I decided to to purchase the Generation 4 based on the assumption that my wife would need the smaller grip, while I could change it to medium to meet my needs at the range.

While comparing the models, I did notice a significant difference between grip texture. The RTF model felt like it would rip the flesh off my hand, while the texture between the regular Gen 3 and Gen 4 felt slightly different with the winner for most positive feel going to the Gen 4.

The Glock 22 Gen 4 came with 3 magazines, a mag loader assisting thingy, a medium and large back strap adjustment attachment, tools and pin to attach said back strap adjustments, nylon bore brush and rod for the bore brush (one neat thing is the rod as a hole in it to use with patches).

Range Day - I properly cleaned and lubed my new Gen 4 as directed in the manual. I set out with 150 rounds of both Ranger and my reloads. While firing I noted that I was uncomfortable with the medium sized grip, it seemed to be rubbing my palm the wrong way. I do admit that this is the first Glock I have ever fired and I have read that the Glock grip takes some adjusting on the part of the shooter, whether this is true, doesn't matter, I was uncomfortable with only 30 rounds down range. I returned to the bench and removed the medium back strap and decided to try the smallest grip (i.e. no back strap adjustment). The remaining 120 rounds were completely different. No more rubbing or uncomfortable feeling. I noted that my shooting improved following the change. All rounds functioned flawlessly and the gun ran without incident.

I must say that I am impressed with this new firearm and while I have large bear paw type hands, I obviously shoot better with the smaller grip, so I'm glad I waited on getting a Glock, since from what I have read, the Gen 4 with medium back strap adjustment is the same size as the previous generation Glock grips (if this is incorrect, please let me know, as this is my only Glock). Just figured I would throw this brief summery out there for anyone that is one the fence regarding the Gen4 or unsure what handgun to purchase next. I give the Glock 22 Gen4 two thumbs up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Who has two thumbs and kicks ass...This guy right here"

Default Re: Glock 22 Gen 4 - Range Review

Congrats...You have one of the most torture tested pistols on the market. You will go broke on ammo trying to wear the thing out. Glocks do have some little nit picking things some people do not like, but a few hundred rds. or so and it will feel right at home. Happy shooting!

(Cambria County)

How much smaller would you say the Regular/Small grip is on the Gen4 G22? I am interested in buying a police trade-in but cannot fit the Gen3 in my hand. I have read that some feel the G22 Gen 4 resembles a Gen3 G19... What do you think?

(Chester County)

Thanks for the write up!