Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Montco Sheriff Dept SUX

I needed to renew LTCF since the last I had it done, I lived in Chester Co. Well I did the whole local PD check card and I called Montco Sheriff to verify that local PD sent the check card to them. Sheriff Dept had my info and I asked if I needed to bring in anything else. They said just PA driver's license and the $25 for the fees.

Well I get there this morning and the Deputy tells me that since I was not born in the country that I must provide passport or naturalization papers. I was pissed since I was not told this over the phone and it's not like my last name is Smith.

I have been carrying since the age of 21 and I have had my LTCF in Dauphin, Cumberland, and Chester Co. without any issues. I feel that you must jump through some serious hoops just to get the LTCF in Montgomery Co.

Why I am so pissed is because I have a 22 month old and it's tough to find the time to get to the courthouse. My wife was off today, so we planned for her to drop me off at the courthouse since parking is a PITA in Norristown. It was just a wasted trip and now I must go back to provide them my information. It's sad because I still had my expired LTCF issued from Chester Co. on me, but that wasn't good enough for Montco.

Bottom line is I really dislike Montco since it has been the toughest county to get a LTCF. I guess I don't understand why there are so many requirements on Montco. When I lived in Chester Co. all I did was show up at the Sheriff's Office and completed the form and had my picture taken. None of this local PD check card nonsense.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Montco Sheriff Dept SUX

I feel your pain... Hoops man, they really love to make people jump through them!

Take a deep breath, and remember we don't live in NJ..
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

OP Click my SIG and then go to the Discussion

I am just annoyed because the person I spoke to the day before could have told me this information. I have been carrying since I was 21 and this is by far the worst county. I guess Montgomery Co. thinks their LTCF is better than the other counties since they have more requirements.

I hope in 5 years when it's time to renew that I am not living in this county.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I am just annoyed because the person I spoke to the day before could have told me this information. I have been carrying since I was 21 and this is by far the worst county. I guess Montgomery Co. thinks their LTCF is better than the other counties since they have more requirements.

I hope in 5 years when it's time to renew that I am not living in this county.
    They are not following state law. You can complain and things will stay the same or you can do something about it and help change

(Montgomery County)

my wife and I got out permits last year. it took over 50 days just to get our local PD check card.

Those check cards are technically illegal since the state is a "shall Issue" state.

Change is fine, IF you can get things to pass in this county. It's like saying this to folks living in CA...I'm sure the Pro 2A folks would love for CA to be free again, BUT the majority of people in CA seem to not care that their rights are being taken away. So by your logic, the Pro 2A folks living in CA shouldn't complain, but only try to help change things in their state. What if they stay there 5 or 10 years trying to change things and things get worse? Do they continue to fight the good fight? Or cut their losses and move to a state that allows one to be free?

I've never been a fan of SEPA to begin with, so moving back to the Harrisburg area wouldn't be my solution. My issue is our jobs are here and we have a mortgage, so for now we are staying put.

I didn't post this thread as a complaint...more of a "I am annoyed with how things are done in Montco."

Even if I do try to help change things...it's not going to help out my situation since my LTCF has expired. By the time the change takes place, my situation will have been resolved by me jumping through their hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    They are not following state law. You can complain and things will stay the same or you can do something about it and help change

(Delaware County)

Hmm, I have to get on my renewal since i expire at the end of next month.

Last time I was at the courthouse (jury duty) I ended up getting a handful of deputies disciplined for the way they handled my firearm check. I walked right to the counter to check my gun and a supervisor started giving me an earful.

First she said that jurors weren't allowed to bring their guns and they needed the lock boxes for LEO's. I told her she was wrong and to call someone if she wanted to confirm. She carried on, made some calls, pulled out the manual and eventually let me check my gun and go about my way. Problem is she was so flustered about my legal sidearm that she never ran me through the metal detector.

During my lunch break I had a conversation with the chief deputy (who was acting sheriff since Durante croaked). He had heard about the incident in the morning, but was not told about the security breech...he was not happy and called a staff meeting. I received several apologies leaving that afternoon.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Hmm, I have to get on my renewal since i expire at the end of next month.

Last time I was at the courthouse (jury duty) I ended up getting a handful of deputies disciplined for the way they handled my firearm check. I walked right to the counter to check my gun and a supervisor started giving me an earful.

First she said that jurors weren't allowed to bring their guns and they needed the lock boxes for LEO's. I told her she was wrong and to call someone if she wanted to confirm. She carried on, made some calls, pulled out the manual and eventually let me check my gun and go about my way. Problem is she was so flustered about my legal sidearm that she never ran me through the metal detector.

During my lunch break I had a conversation with the chief deputy (who was acting sheriff since Durante croaked). He had heard about the incident in the morning, but was not told about the security breech...he was not happy and called a staff meeting. I received several apologies leaving that afternoon.
    If you live in Delco you better get there soon, they are averaging about 50+ days for renewals! But maybe you don't, since you don't mention McGinn as the Sherrif above. Chief Deputy in Delco in a woman, Deputy Conti!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post

Bottom line is I really dislike Montco since it has been the toughest county to get a LTCF.
    In a sense though, it's all kind of relative (not that I agree with the illegal behavior).

Whenever someone mentions how much easier their county is, I always think to myself --- at least I don't live in Philly.

Do they really fingerprint for a LTCF in Philly?

So much for the uniform county by county enforcement of state law.
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast