Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how long do silencers last?

I was wondering how many rounds you could typically put through one before there are problems with it. My father in law is a pa resident and thinking of buying one. I informed him of the fact that its $200 plus the price of the silencer, but he is still intrested.

(Luzerne County)

Smile Re: how long do silencers last?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog46 View Post
    I was wondering how many rounds you could typically put through one before there are problems with it. My father in law is a pa resident and thinking of buying one. I informed him of the fact that its $200 plus the price of the silencer, but he is still intrested.

Not enough information to answer the question. What supressor, caliber, rim fire or center fire, what hoast or hoasts, will it be used full auto etc?

All these questions aside a good quality can will very likley outlive your father in law and perhaps you as well. The two biggest items are baffle strikes and leading in a rimfire can. The baffle strikes you can't do much about, if it happens it happens, the leading is cleanable. If you are talking about a .22 rim fire can get a NON sealed can so it can be taken apart and cleaned, with proper maint it will last a looooong time. Just buy a good can, money spent here is a good thing, it seems foolish to spend $200 on a tax for a $150 can. There are lots of good cans on the markes as well as a couple good web sites that deal with them. They are fun just do the research and choose wisely.

(Centre County)

Default Re: how long do silencers last?

As Hawkeye said, it depends on a lot of variables. Things like the design and materials used in the suppressor as well as considerations for the host weapon all affect suppressor life.

Some of the more inexpensive suppressors on the market use aluminum baffles that over time will erode more quickly than some of the higher end offerings that typically use an inconel first baffle that will remain virtually unharmed in most situations because inconel is a super alloy that is designed to withstand high heat/high pressure exposure.

For the host weapon, the two main considerations you have to take into account is the barrel length and the volume of fire. The shorter the barrel (under 12", like a SBR AR15) and if you're shooting high volume (full auto fire) you are going to chew up the suppressor more quickly than you would if mounting the suppressor on a long barreled gun that you are shooting once a year.

Maintenance is also something worth considering. Does the manufacturer have a good warranty on the suppressor? Will they repair it if you have a baffle strike? How easy is it to clean?
    Machinist for hire - Get a hold of me if you need something made

(Lehigh County)

With a stainless steel or titanium silencer, it'll likely last longer than the gun it's attached to, as long as you clean it every now & then. Aluminum silencers, not sure.

The old Maxim silencers you could buy for $5 over the counter in the 1930s were considered essentially disposable; but due to the cost and hassle of NFA regulations involved with acquiring a silencer in this country today, commercial manufacturers tend to build them to last.
    Last edited by General Geoff; January 4th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Bucks County)

I've put about 3-4000 rounds through my .22 suppressor without any cleaning, and its just as quiet as the day I got it. I'm hoping it will last a long time because it was a huge PITA to aquire.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    I've put about 3-4000 rounds through my .22 suppressor without any cleaning, and its just as quiet as the day I got it. I'm hoping it will last a long time because it was a huge PITA to aquire.
    What brand/model of can did you get?
    Machinist for hire - Get a hold of me if you need something made

(Allegheny County)

The other consideration to make is using a muzzle brake in lieu of the can to act as a sacrificial baffle. Many folks are doing this with success on 5.56 guns.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoak View Post
    What brand/model of can did you get?
    Tactical Innovations TAC-65. Yea, its a bargain bin can, but it works and I like it. Aluminum baffles and comes apart for cleaning.

I have a question, probably not enough off topic to start a new thread since this thread is about the supressor lifetimes:

What do you guys with aluminum baffled cans do as far as cleaning them? I just started the paperwork on my first supressor (got a good deal on an original SilencerCo 22Sparrow since the new stainless ones just came out) and have been looking around for cleaning suggestions from people that own aluminum supressors.

I know the "dip" is going to eventually degrade the aluminum, so that's a no go...same with many other solvents too.

I've seen suggestions for using hydrocarbon (?) based cleaners only, like WD-40, etc... but hear that they don't really give great results.

Seems like the best way is bead blasing, not trying to use solvents? Any other suggestions, tips, tricks on cleaning aluminum baffles and keeping a aluminum supressors in good running order for a long time to come?

(Westmoreland County)

Mabuz,

This is Fro.

My Checkmate 22lr silence was originally an aluminum core. I have since had it upgraded to the SS core, but when I had my original core I just used a brass brush to clean the core.

I would remove the core and just scrub the areas with the brush that had lead deposits. Just clean it after every couple of hundred rounds and the build up will stay low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast