Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Unhappy Disassembly help for Taurus Gaucho

Help!

I finally got around to shooting my Gaucho that I bought 3 years ago. After much debate over whether to keep or sell it (due all the bad press) I decided to risk it and try it out. I LOVED shooting it! It is a sweet piece, BUT I cannot remove the base pin (while depressing the base pin latch, with the cylinder in the half cock position and the loading gate open). It slid out a little, then stopped. I pushed it back in a few times, always with the same result, but now it won't even budge. I cleaned it when I bought it new and oiled the pin prior to shooting it. I put gun oil and WD 40 on it but no luck. I called Taurus and was told they no one for tech support via phone or email and that I get a local smith to do it or mail it to them.

I think that by just pulling on it with a pair of pliers I could get it loose, but I do not want to mar the finish.

Anyone have any thoughts? I may return it for repair and just buy a Ruger or a clone intead.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Disassembly help for Taurus Gaucho

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    Help!

I finally got around to shooting my Gaucho that I bought 3 years ago. After much debate over whether to keep or sell it (due all the bad press) I decided to risk it and try it out. I LOVED shooting it! It is a sweet piece, BUT I cannot remove the base pin (while depressing the base pin latch, with the cylinder in the half cock position and the loading gate open). It slid out a little, then stopped. I pushed it back in a few times, always with the same result, but now it won't even budge. I cleaned it when I bought it new and oiled the pin prior to shooting it. I put gun oil and WD 40 on it but no luck. I called Taurus and was told they no one for tech support via phone or email and that I get a local smith to do it or mail it to them.

I think that by just pulling on it with a pair of pliers I could get it loose, but I do not want to mar the finish.

Anyone have any thoughts? I may return it for repair and just buy a Ruger or a clone intead.

Thanks for any thoughts!
    There is a board, "Taurus Armed", which is filled to overflowing with Taurus owners who have this love/hate thingie.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...action=search2

Do a search on "Gaucho", and look there. No, you don't have to sign up to read, but you do to post there.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

See if your local smith will look at it. More than likely, he will tell you to send it in for repair, but at least let him look at it. It may be a five minute adjustment that will save you 4 to 8 weeks of repair time, and $20.00 to do the shipping. Plus, you can have this base pin replaced, or replace yourself if you can get it open. Be sure to explain exactly what the problem you are having is if you send it to Taurus, this way they will get it fixed right the first time. It is a fairly easy repair.
    Last edited by harold63; January 4th, 2011 at 12:37 AM.

Red face Re: Disassembly help for Taurus Gaucho

Thanks for your information. I will try a little harder or perhaps let the factory do it- one thing is for sure- I will NEVER buy another Taurus (the "fool me once" quote comes to mind). I am definitely going to contact them again and share my thoughts with them.

Shoot safe and straight!

If you have a small wood or plastic mallet, you can tap the cylinder back and forth (side to side, really) while you pull on the base pin. This may free it. It may be easier to have someone help you with this. You only need to tap it. You can apply masking tape to each side of the cylinder so you do not mar the finish.

hey i bought a gaucho a couple weeks ago and finally got the cylinder out. half cock the gun, open the gate, and use a wooden ruler or something similar to slide the pin out while you hold the release. i used the frame below the cylinder pin for leverage and it worked well. hope i could help