Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default which one to buy

I am looking to buy my wife a 9 mm and she loves the feel of the beretta 92fs and the sig p226. She is 5'9" so bigger hands then the avg woman.
    I like the idea of larger heavier guns for her so she doesn't get the kick of the smaller lighter guns.

personally i like the sig in stainless for her but any ideas or suggestions.

anything else she should look at? she doesn't like the xd or glock grips or the ruger sr9

I also like the no safety on the sig incase she does need it for home defense and she will not carry at least not yet so looking for a first gun for her to enjoy shooting. (already have a few 22s, but want her to feel like she has her own gun)

Default Re: which one to buy

I like the Sig 226. Another plus with the 226 is that when she decides she wants a .45 (She will, you know!), a Sig 220 will fit the same holster.

I'm doing it in reverse. I have a 220 & I'm sorta' looking for a nice 226 in 9mm.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Bucks County)

I also like the 220 because if she wants 40 cal she can just change the slide. I already have the p220 in stainless as well. accrued quite a collection but you know woman want to have their own.

plus if she gets the 226 I would be able to sneak it out and say it is my 220

My wife wanted a 1911. She picked the three she like the best and we researched them to see if they had good reviews. Since we did not have to narrow anything down because of poor reviews, she ended up getting the one she liked the best. You are in a similar situation, because both guns are outstanding. Let her choose. jmho
    Last edited by harold63; January 3rd, 2011 at 12:32 PM.

(Bucks County)

I agree she held them all and actually the gun store has a range and we can rent the pistols first and then she will pick which one she wants. I want her to decide and is true these two models both have great reviews so don't think we can go wrong, but just curious if anyone has any advice or more on these two pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by 18902man View Post
    I agree she held them all and actually the gun store has a range and we can rent the pistols first and then she will pick which one she wants. I want her to decide and is true these two models both have great reviews so don't think we can go wrong, but just curious if anyone has any advice or more on these two pistols.
    I know this about them, I do not have either one in my accumulation, but would love to have a representation of each, in it. They both will handle +p ammo which turns the notch up as far as the 9mm rd. goes.

(Bucks County)

I have never shot the berreta before but own a sig p220 in 45 and like the weight so no recoil or very little so expect the same from the p226 I guess time will tell.

(Montgomery County)

I'd give a slight edge to the Sig because from my experience with both of them, the Sig has a slightly better trigger. I haven't added a 226 to my 9mm collection, but eventually I will. I really like my 92 a lot and don't plan on getting rid of it.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Mercer County)

Sticking with a DA/SA platform, you might look at the CZ P-06, CZ75 P-07 Duty, CZ75 BD, CZ75 tactical model... You get the SIG like decocker and high-capacity. Might also look at the SIG Pro SP2022, Beretta PX-4 G type, or even a used G model Beretta 92. A G model Beretta 92 could really do the trick. She is already familiar with the platform, Its reliability is unbeatable, easy to rack, good trigger, cheap easy to get parts/mags, low recoil with fast, accurate follow-ups... The reasons mentioned above, sans the safety issue is why I still have a Beretta M9 for HD; as my wife may have to use it too, and she shoots it well.

My wife is 5'8", and absolutely can not reliably rack the slide of my P220 with its std #22 recoil spring, plus her wrist strength is of such that the pistol malfunctions for her, and the recoil of this 25.7 oz .45 Auto is too much for her. Never have seen a .40 swap/slide/barrel/mag for a P220 as mentioned, and would be interested in seeing that. Have read of a one off 10mm P220 however (would have the same breechface dims as .40 S&W).

Lots to consider, so have fun and good luck!
    Last edited by Guns N'at; January 3rd, 2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added .40 S&W after "dims as"

(Bucks County)

I will look into those. Sorry she is looking at the p226 I have the 220 guess I just had the 220 in my head.

yes on sigs site you can buy conversion kits for basically every gun they have they all use the same lower so in the 226 you can shoot 9, 40 357 and 22.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast