Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt Python 357

Default Colt Python 357

Hello,

Been shopping for a Python and wanted others opinion on the question of quality.

Have yet to decide on bbl length, either 4" or 6", leaning towards the 6" in SS, very hard to locate.

Question: I have read that the pre 70 models may be better made and more accurate than the post 70's models. Anyone agree with this? Any sacrafice with age over a more modern firearm?

I found a 6" SS on GA, its an 82 in excellent shape. Asking price is $1,495! Man why did I sell mine 20 years ago!

Thoughts?

Thanks, Mark.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Colt Python 357

I'd personally take S&W Model 686 over Python anyday of the week, because of S&W DA trigger is far better then Colt's hard to stage DA trigger.

I don't know why they are sooo expensive. But I've seen 4" Python Blued for around $750 not too long ago. I've personally never seen 6" python anywhere in long time

(Westmoreland County)

I saw a 6" blued last week...I'm still working on a plan to buy it and it's best friend the 6" SS King Cobra (and an 8" Anaconda just for good measure!)

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

RocketFoot,

Be curious as to what your able to pick up the 6" Python for. I have not seen a decent one under $950, the earlier the model, the more they seem to bring. Several early 60's models for as much as $1,500!

Mity,

Nothing agaisnt S&W, own one and like it very much. That said, the Python from my past was as accurate a revolver as I have ever fired. Also appears there value continues to escalate, buy one now or pay a pile more down the road.

Still looking for info on early models as oppossed to later models up to thier discontinuation in I think the early 90's.

Thanks, Mark.

(Delaware County)

Many people love the python and see it as the cadillac of pistols because of the hand fitting and 'bank vault' lock up. I had one that turned out to have a manufacturer's defect and was unrepairable. To colt's credit, they bought the gun back from me for what I paid for it ($1200). Others see it as fragile and too proned to timing issues and such. In my mind, each point of view has merit.
    I don't think I'd spend another $1200 to $1400 on a pistol that is out of production and difficult to repair even though it is a classic.

Glassman,

Safe to assume you purchased it used? Was it a 4" or 6" or ? Blued, SS or Nickel?

May I ask how long ago you bought it? Was the problem immediately noticeable?

You make a good point on the production issue. That said, pretty impressive that Colt would reimburse you the full cost of what I assume you paid to a private party.
    Thanks, Mark.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by OBAS2070 View Post
    Glassman,

Safe to assume you purchased it used? Was it a 4" or 6" or ? Blued, SS or Nickel?

May I ask how long ago you bought it? Was the problem immediately noticeable?

You make a good point on the production issue. That said, pretty impressive that Colt would reimburse you the full cost of what I assume you paid to a private party.
    Thanks, Mark.
    Mark,
    I bought the python a little over a year ago out of the used gun case where I shoot. It was a pristine royal blue in 4 inch. I was using remington range rounds that worked perfectly when shot in single action but would misfire about 1 in 10 when shot in double action. The primer strikes were way off center. I switched to federal and they performed perfectly due to the softer primers but the problem was that to get the federal ammo, I had to travel a good distance. I thought the off center primer strikes was a result of being out of time and sent it back to colt. It turned out that the hole milled for the firing pin was drilled off center. Colt said it was unrepairable and too dangerous to shoot. They offered to return it as it was, give me a SAA in exchange or buy it from me at my cost. They definately stood behind their product.
    There's another python in their case right now in nickel with an 8 inch barrel with an asking price of $1450. It's a beautiful pistol and looks to be in perfect shape. My sense is that the available parts and number of pistol smiths that are capable of fixing the python is dwindling and I don't want to be the owner of an expensive paper weight down the road. I look at it, drool a little and walk away. I think my money can be better spent on other things.

You make very good points, the paper weight in paticular left a lasting impression. Maybe I dont need a Python.

Mark.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by OBAS2070 View Post
    You make very good points, the paper weight in paticular left a lasting impression. Maybe I dont need a Python.

Mark.
    Mark,
    What I wrote is the experience I had with my python and my opinion about them. There are plenty of other people who are much more knowledgable than I am. Before you give up on owning one, you should research it a lot more and get other opinions. Despite my experience/opinion, I still think the python is a beautiful gun and one of the best made of it's time. Best of luck.

Absolutley, thanks again...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast