Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Default Marlin 1894 .357 Mag feeding problems

I purchased a lightly used Marlin 1894 Lever action in .357 Mag/.38 Special cal. When I first tried to shoot it, the cartridges would feed from the magazine then basically flop into the receiver on top of the cartridge elevator. About ever third attempt to chamber, the cartridge elevator would jam at the very bottom of the receiver, necessitating the removal of the lever to clear the jam.

The gun shop took the gun and sent it to a gunsmith to repair.
    I shot it today. It roughly feeds the .357 magnum cartridges, but only with a rough "jiggle" of the lever at the end of the opening stroke before trying to close. With .38 special ammo (round nose lead and FMJ) the old problem of the cartridge elevator jamming-requiring removal, of the lever to clear reappeared. When it doe feed the .38's it is rough and jerky, not smooth like every other Marlin Lever I've shot.

The rifle is super clean and well lubed.

Any idea of what parts may be defective/ misaligned to cause this problem?

Thanks.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Marlin 1894 .357 Mag feeding problems

Its part of the Marlin Disease. Even though you can shoot shorter length cartridges out of it, the magazine feed and elevator are designed for longer cartridges. You then start getting jams and double feeds. The problem is in the overall design.

My 1893 does it with 32spl, my uncles 1894 does it with 38/357, my cousin's 336 does it with 30-30.

I'm not sure what all can be done to fix your problem. I've been working on my 1893 for 15 years now to fix it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

There is a supposed flaw in design, due to wear on the carrier. Google "marlin jam" and you will get plenty of hits.
    This is one of the better explanations,
    http://marauder.homestead.com/files/marlin94fix.html
    See if this sounds like your problem, if so its pretty common in 1894s, and pretty easy to fix.
    NRA for life.

(Elk County)

There's a tiny screw about 1" behind the rear of the loading gate. Using a correctly-sized screwdriver, make sure that screw is snug.

The screw holds the loading gate in place. On Marlins, the least little looseness in the loading gate will cause feeding problems. I'm not saying that a loose loading gate is the definitive problem with your gun; all I'm saying is a loose loading gate on a Marlin is akin to "Is it plugged in?"

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by CJR View Post
    There is a supposed flaw in design, due to wear on the carrier. Google "marlin jam" and you will get plenty of hits.
    This is one of the better explanations,
    http://marauder.homestead.com/files/marlin94fix.html
    See if this sounds like your problem, if so its pretty common in 1894s, and pretty easy to fix.
    Hit the nail right on the head.

The gunsmith that "fixed" it just replaced the elevator. The rifle worked for about 50 cycles the became a jam-o-matic again.

I returned it to the gun shop I purchased it from- a very good one - and the owner gave me my money back -so I am done with the Marlin jam.

I'm going to forward your link to the fix to him. Maybe the next owner will have better luck.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

(Delaware County)

Like I said kinda common in 1894s, was gonna ask if that got it workin LOL. Glad they made good for you.
    I've only seen it personally in two guns, unfortunatly one was mine.
    Shame, they are really neat, fun guns when you get them runnin right.
    I love mine, took quite a bit of game with it.
    NRA for life.