Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default 22lr semi to plink with

What is a good semi 22 that wont break the bank? I like the ruger but most I've seen are up there in the $400 or higher.. while nice I just cant see spending that to get my wife used to shooting more..She shoots my 45 now and I'm starting to look for a cc for her, but she wants a colt mustang pony 380 and they go for a higher $ than I can spend right now. I was thinking grab up a little 22 and get her used to shooting before I get the cc and trade the 22 in or teach my sisters kids on it. They are about that age..

(Chester County)

Default Re: 22lr semi to plink with

There's a Ruger for sale here.... http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/12...rel-black.html
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Berks County)

The Ruger Mark III is a great starter, though heavier and pretty hard to learn how to field strip, it is VERY accurate. (confidence builder) I would stick to one that has adjustable sights. Can be found for around 200+ used, 300 new, depending on options.

Walther P22 is a decent semi in the same price range. From what I'm told they can be quite problematic. Very picky on what you feed it. But they are fun to shoot, look cool, and aren't to incredibly inaccurate.

Since your budget seems to dictate a lot in what you are willing to spend out right, keep in mind the gun is a fraction of long term expense once ammo is taken into consideration. With that said I would stick to 22LR or 9mm as a starter gun.

I'm sure there are plenty of options out there but these are the two I know most about.

(Lebanon County)

the ruger is worth the money....look for a used mkI or II, they over thought the mkIII...it is more complicated than it has to be.
    it is very easy to shoot very well with as it is pretty much the bench mark in .22 semi's. the browning buckmark is another winner. while neither are tacticool looking they both do what they do well. both will last a very long, long, long time as well.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    the ruger is worth the money....look for a used mkI or II, they over thought the mkIII...it is more complicated than it has to be.
    it is very easy to shoot very well with as it is pretty much the bench mark in .22 semi's. the browning buckmark is another winner. while neither are tacticool looking they both do what they do well. both will last a very long, long, long time as well.
    Good point. The loaded chamber indicator is about useless to me. Mag in mag out is easily fixed with a trigger job for 75 bux.

I don't care for the poly body 22/45. That is more personal though.

I wouldn't turn down a well priced Mark III just because of the "over thought" though.

(Bucks County)

Check out the S&W 22A.

I have one with factory target grips I picked up for $175 last year.

Its a tack driver.

(Mercer County)

I really like my Bersa/Firestorm FS22. Very accurate, very reliable with good full power quality ammo, feels great, very smooth DA, good SA, lifetime warranty, super easy takedown... Only real con is cost, and availability of extra mags. Had it for about ten years, and it is a lot of fun to plink with.

Here is a gunblast review of this pistol:

http://www.gunblast.com/Firestorm.htm

(Allegheny County)

I would highly recommend getting a used Mark II. I picked up a used Target model in very good condition for $215 a few months ago so they are out there for decent prices. Plus it's very upgradeable if you ever decide to go that route. I put $100 worth of Volquartsen parts in mine and it feels like a different gun.

(Allegheny County)

GSG 1911?

$330 at AIM Surplus (and surely around the same from a dealer)
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...1911&groupid=3

I don't have any real experience with them, but I shot one and I was pleased with it. I'd like to pick one up.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

A base model Ruger Mk III should cost no more than $300. There are tonnes of other firearms out there though. I have a Mosquito and it has been great for me. Walther makes the P22 which has a rather small grip which would be nice for the wife and kids you mentioned. The Beretta Neos is pretty accurate and inexpensive.

As a training gun though I have to recommend the Mosquito. It is very ergonomic and has the most stuff on it. By stuff I mean take-down lever, magazine release, decocker, slide stop, and safety. It is reasonably accurate and very reliable with proper ammunition. It can run dirty as well. I put 1500 rounds through mine before I cleaned it.

There is no need to go the hassle of finding the Colt and paying the high price for an old used gun. SIG makes the P380 which is a clone. It is also available in a very wide selection, check the website to see all the options. Plus on top of that you get a new gun.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast