Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northumberland County)

Default Bent 40s&w cases

Hello everyone,
    It might sound stupid but when the cases are ejected from my new .40s&w ((( my first auto pistol ))) they hit the ground and slightly bend the case where it will hold the bullet . I eventually want to start reloading but if these rounds are not going to work I will just scrap them. Thank you ahead of time if anyone has the answer.

Jim

Default Re: Bent 40s&w cases

The cases probably are not getting the mouths flattened hitting the ground. More likely they are hitting the slide of the pistol when ejected.

How bad are the mouths flattened? A sizing die will probably get them back in shape, but you may notice shorter brass life from being worked so much.

What kind of firearm is this?

Quote Originally Posted by originalsocko View Post
    Hello everyone,
    It might sound stupid but when the cases are ejected from my new .40s&w ((( my first auto pistol ))) they hit the ground and slightly bend the case where it will hold the bullet .
    Probably not from hitting the ground. Usually this deformity occurs from hitting the barrel hood during ejection. You can use the brass, no problem (may have to work out the ding with a dowell or some such, before sizing). You may find this fixes itself as the recoil spring ages. Also more likely to occur with lighter loads.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Like said, the sizing die will reshape, to an extent. Maybe post pics of the cases. It is real hard to say without seeing. One mans bad is good to five others.

(Beaver County)

You can also use use the expander die to help straighten the case mouth prior to sizing. Use lightly though. You can expand the mouth to far and not be able to put it in the sizing die. This is the method I use on bent casings.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Delaware County)

A pair of needle nose pliers sit on my bench for the purpose of expanding out a shell with a bent mouth. If the shell is torn, it's scrap but 98% of all bent shells are fixed this way. Just hold the case in one hand, stick the pliers into the opening and twist the shell back and forth while expanding the needle nose pliers. Don't worry if the case in not perfectly round because the reloading dies will round it out perfectly before you put the bullet in the case.

(Northumberland County)

Thank you for the quick reply,

The cases are slightly bent out of round, and the handgun is a sigms sw40ve like I said the first auto and did not wish to spend alot, till I see if I really like the auto's or stick with the revolvers.