Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: White Light: Hand held vs. Mounted

Quote Originally Posted by noslolo View Post
    I just got a Gander Mountain tactical light that has 235 lumins, it has red, blue and green LED's. It also has a high and low for the white as well as a blinding strobe. The last feature is a S.O.S pattern for the LED's.
    I'm far from an expert, but I think most trainers if not all of them would say "that's way too much shit on a flashlight"

I'd say that's a great light for walking the dog. But for this purpose you want something simple. Some people don't even like the "clicky" switches and say momentary only for this type of light. I don't think a properly designed clicky switch is too much junk but 3 types of LED's and multiple modes is a little much.

(Allegheny County)

Arrow Re: White Light: Hand held vs. Mounted

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    So I am setting up a dedicated HD/nightstand handgun and am leaning back and forth between putting a TRL-1 on the gun or using my Streamlight Scorpion handheld. I know the basic reasons for and against and, to me, they are basically a wash.

What do you run and, more importantly, why?
    TRL-1. If you NEED a free hand, you DON'T want to lose the light in the process, OR, take it off whatever object you're trying to illuminate.

Simples as that.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    I'm far from an expert, but I think most trainers if not all of them would say "that's way too much shit on a flashlight"
    I agree that that is too much crap, and I'll bet that the only trainers that would not agree would be the ones trying to sell the light. (or maybe the occasional one that tries to wow students with all manner of atypical applications)

I've been diggin' the idea of a WML for EDC for a while now. It seems like a no-brainer. Admittedly, I would like to see smaller WMLs and better holster selection.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    I agree that that is too much crap, and I'll bet that the only trainers that would not agree would be the ones trying to sell the light. (or maybe the occasional one that tries to wow students with all manner of atypical applications)

I've been diggin' the idea of a WML for EDC for a while now. It seems like a no-brainer. Admittedly, I would like to see smaller WMLs and better holster selection.
    TLR-3

its no wider than the slide of my Hk, and no longer than the slide. I imagine the dimensions would be roughly the same on the G17

Here it is in one of Brians www.atomicdogholsters.com rigs.
    I find the overal package to be not much more bulky than a traditional belt holster of the same style, and pancake style of kydex holds tight and conforms to the side well.

Also the TLR-3 I think is a more appropriate brightness level than something like an X300 which is great for spotting deer at 100 yards but way to bright for white walls, night sights, and hallways.

the whole package is for sale BTW
    http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/12...cessories.html

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    TLR-3

the whole package is for sale BTW
    http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/12...cessories.html
    What is next? Man you change guns a lot!
    FNX-9 Two-tone

Call me old school but I agree 100% with Mercop. I learned how to use a flashlight working nights. You can't put a WML on the floor and roll it or toss it into a room for a specific purpose.

I run pistol with a Streamlight Scorpion used by my non-firing hand.

As for the SWAT/TACTICAL GURU'S who clear houses and other buildings for a living, great, carry a WML and specialty holsters all paid for by our Tax Dollars (Never ending cash supply) but for the average Joe home owner with little to no training (on average), keep it simple is the best way to go.
    Cost of holsters to Accomodate WML, batteres, training, etc..etc...etc...its just to much in my opinion.

A maybe one time encounter where you maybe have to get your family to a safe room, hunker down, and wait for the SWAT/Tactical GURU's to show up and destroy your house and end up handcuffing you cause you have a gun, in your own house. Its been said many times, if you suspect an intruder is in your house, your civilian priority is the safety of yourself and family and getting them to safety, not clearing your own home and seeking out the supposed bad guys. NOTE: I state actively seeking out, not encountering while moving to safety or such situation where no other option is available other than to use deadly force.

I'm not saying WML don't have applications, they do. I just think folks need to be realistic about them, their use, application, intended purchasing audience, legal liabilities clearing your home, and personal and family safety.

Yup, gadgets are cool as boys like their toys but I for one don't think WML on handguns are necessary for the average home owner in their residence.
    As I have said before, if you are at home, you should have a long gun as primary and handgun as secondary. Long gun should have WML, no questions asked.

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; January 13th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Call me old school but I agree 100% with Mercop. I learned how to use a flashlight working nights. You can't put a WML on the floor and roll it or toss it into a room for a specific purpose.
    You make half the case for having both.

...but for the average Joe home owner with little to no training (on average), keep it simple is the best way to go.
    'Simple' is what you make of it. If it were all about simplicity, the 'average joe' may have never wanted to go beyond ball and cap guns. One has to compare the utility and the cost. If a WML is too much trouble for you to bother with, that's cool, but I don't think it is good to say that a WML is too much for the generalized 'average joe.'

So 'familiarization' is a cost in time and effort, and like most firearms training that is too much for many people. As for dollar cost... Well, if you spend a hundred bucks on one light that will function with several multi-hundred dollar weapons, it does not seem like that big of a cost. Whether or not it is worth it to the individual is the issue.

Is it worth it? IMO, it is a no-brainer. Of course it is worth it. Humans can't see in the dark and quality tools that compensate for that deficiency are worth their weight in gold.

Two is one, and one os none. I'll sport a WML and keep a little tac light in my pocket.

ETA: If there's ever going to be a time in someones life when they say, "Oh crap, I need a light, or I'm going to die," it is likely that a gun will be involved. May as well attach a light to the gun... Or don't bother with all the 'wiz-bang techmology' and tote a musket.
    Last edited by Carnes; January 13th, 2011 at 09:42 PM.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    If there's ever going to be a time in someones life when they say, "Oh crap, I need a light, or I'm going to die," it is likely that a gun will be involved.
    Or you're in a cave.

(Washington County)

Or you're in a cave.
    Or you just broke down on the side of the road because you alternator is toast and battery just drained, and there are no street lights.

A flashlight in my pocket has helped me more than I can think over the last year. I dont carry a traditional one though, because trying to remember the fancy ways to hold one and activate while holding a firearm is best left to someone else, I like simple.

http://www.first-light-usa.com/tomahawkmain.php

Check out these, lets your hand be ina natural position. I carry a GP model clipped in my pocket, and drawing it is a pretty natural movement. Activation is easy, you can cycle through modes, or if need be, the big easy button is a momentary blast.

(Cambria County)

Or you're in a cave.
    In a cave filled with German diamond thieves and terrorists?

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Or you just broke down on the side of the road...
    Well, IIRC, I said something about, "I need a light, or I'm going to die."

Caves and break-downs in the dark are more scary than deadly... Sure they can be deadly, but... Eh, whatever.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast